Any Cyclists Out Here ? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Cyclists Out Here ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am 16-1/2 stone so would make little difference

You might want te extra braking power then ;)

I'm 14 stone and when you add change of work clothes, lunch, tools, any other kit, my bike is easily carrying 16 stones. There is one road in particular that slightly better brakes would be an advantage.

Cool. I had heard nightmares about the brake piston jamming shut when you took it apart to replace pads / discs...

Hmm, maybe if you are daft enough to pull the brake lever when you've taken the pads out!? they're not difficult to separate if you do.

What about a B'Twin from Decathlon?

Better alloy and Shimano 105 groupset, compared to Tiagra on the Calibre.

Cheaper also.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html

Looks interesting, one concern I have about road bikes is the possibility of buckling the wheels, the roads in Embra are awful, what's fowks experiences? they a little sturdier these days?

Highly unlikely to buckle a wheel unless you are going up and down mountains. Potholes might result in a pinch flat, though, if you don't inflate your tyres properly.

Depends what you are looking for but a cyclecross gives a nice balanced between being able to take the knocks such as described. Not much time lost as they are built as a road bike but with endurance and impact capability. I've got a forme cx sport 2014 and its a beaut. Plus stick a pair of slicks on it and it's a road bike even without it competes with most road bikes being only 1-2 kg heavier than some of the best on the market. But they are also year round bikes. Some amazing deals just now on all bikes as has been said previously as the new 2015 stick comes in. I'd also recommend the cycle to work scheme as it saves you hundreds of pounds.

I wouldn't go on a bike as I'm never in enough of a hurry to weave in and out of traffic,jump red lights,be a road user then a pedestrian and every other bad habit that goes on to risk my life then moan about it when something goes wrong.

you might get some exercise when nipping out to pick up the daily mail

The Focus is just an example of the deals on 2014 bikes that are available at this time of year. It really is a great time to buy, as 2015 bikes are out, Christmas is over and the weather's rubbish, so there are plenty deals to be had.

If you haven't set your heart on either of the two, shop around and see if you can pick up a full carbon bike for around the same price as the two you picked out.

Try before you buy, though, and buy from a local shop also, if possible.

If you've got your heart set on one of the two above, though, it really is down to brakes.

Disk brakes on road bikes are a relatively new thing but are becoming more popular. They're better than rim brakes, but I can't think of a situation where rim brakes have let me down.

If brakes aren't a factor for you, just pick the bike that looks the nicest.

Think I've settled on the Cannondale...........cheers for the advice.

Looks interesting, one concern I have about road bikes is the possibility of buckling the wheels, the roads in Embra are awful, what's fowks experiences? they a little sturdier these days?

Watch out for the tram lines. Fallen off on more than one occasion after the front wheel got caught in the line.

I see some folk advising buying a carbon bike. I've a Carbon Trek Domane, its terrific but in my opinion only suitable for Summer use. My Aluminium framed Ridley Fenix was less than half the price and every bit as good with the bonus of being suitable to use all year round.

Edited by captainwull

Watch out for the tram lines. Fallen off on more than one occasion after the front wheel got caught in the line.

I see some folk advising buying a carbon bike. I've a Carbon Trek Domane, its terrific but in my opinion only suitable for Summer use. My Aluminium framed Ridley Fenix was less than half the price and every bit as good with the bonus of being suitable to use all year round.

huge difference though with carbon frame is power in = power out ; agree on summer use

have got a hybrid bike for work commute - in Calgary this is only 6mths of year - some folk go with fat tyre bikes in winter and layer up / ski glasses etc

- i went a few times last winter on my mtb with studded front tyre ; -10 being my cut off, still not that pleasant

the hybrid is an older version of this ; and i think it's great - crank bros egg beater pedals

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-890/mec-desire-bicycle-unisex/

road bike from 2 years back is one below - it looks like this has now been discontinued ; decent spec and my first road bike since raleigh arena......

spent a few minutes looking for the gear lever on the down tube

quite lucky having this store close to office ; kind of millets/halberds/tiso etc all rolled into one

last bike in Scotland was a Saracen mtb no suspension, but great for day to day stuff

I got a felt f95 off merlin cycles via UK hot deals for 365. Same spec of specialized is 700. Decent bike, tho only been out on it a few times so far.

Also got a specialized crosstrail which is a nice hybrid edging toward mountain bike. Recommend for general use.

Edited by Coldo

• 5 weeks later...

Not made my mind up yet but leaning towards this fella...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/specialized-diverge-sport-a1-15?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2froad-bikes

Not found a reasonably priced carbon framed road bike with disc brakes yet so think this is the best of the price range... sounds as though it has been designed to be pretty sturdy which suits me.

Not made my mind up yet but leaning towards this fella...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/specialized-diverge-sport-a1-15?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2froad-bikes

Not found a reasonably priced carbon framed road bike with disc brakes yet so think this is the best of the price range... sounds as though it has been designed to be pretty sturdy which suits me.

I find specialized a little pricey for the spec you get but they usually produce a very pretty bicycle frame to look at, nice lines...

If I was going to buy one of these CX bikes I'd maybe have a look at this one, more expensive but better equipped and only 9.5kg (That is the other thing about Specialized I don't like, they never tell you how much it weighs, or at least I can never find it in their technical spec data.) 5 Stars from What Cycle (whoever they are).

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cxr90.html

And if you want a super light road award winning bike no need to go carbon - 7.9kg

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/sls90.html

Bit more spendy and with your track record I'd get it well insured.

I find specialized a little pricey for the spec you get but they usually produce a very pretty bicycle frame to look at, nice lines...

If I was going to buy one of these CX bikes I'd maybe have a look at this one, more expensive but better equipped and only 9.5kg (That is the other thing about Specialized I don't like, they never tell you how much it weighs, or at least I can never find it in their technical spec data.) 5 Stars from What Cycle (whoever they are).

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cxr90.html

And if you want a super light road award winning bike no need to go carbon - 7.9kg

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/sls90.html

Bit more spendy and with your track record I'd get it well insured.

Lol, aye, insurance is a must!

The boardmans, decent spec but don't like the look of them. Am a bit partial to a Specialized mtbs (as are the jakey scumbags that seem to follow me around with bolt cutters) hence my liking for the brand, also as you say, really nice lookin bikes.

Getting it on the Cycle to work scheme so tax free. Think when you take that into consideration the Diverge Sport fella looks a decent buy. It's got decent reviews etc.

Gone for this one..

Took one for a test ride the night,braw and pretty fast. Cannae wait! :ok:

Really interested in the road bikes that can handle canal tracks etc. Thats why I went for a cyclecross but thinking I should've waited for this generation of bike. Looks a belter and well priced. Have you riden a cyclocross and if so how does this compare??

Really interested in the road bikes that can handle canal tracks etc. Thats why I went for a cyclecross but thinking I should've waited for this generation of bike. Looks a belter and well priced. Have you riden a cyclocross and if so how does this compare??

I didnt,this was closest i got,was tempted away from a conventional road bike by this one as is pretty sturdy option halfway in between, was worried about ending up spending fortunes fixing buckled wheels etc as conventional road bikes are a wee bit more fragile than I think I could cope with, been used to using mtb's so thought I needed to learn how to ride a lighter road style bike before going the whole hog on a carbon framed etc etc fancy thing. There was a v interesting canondale but I'm too impatient to wait till end of April for it!

I didnt,this was closest i got,was tempted away from a conventional road bike by this one as is pretty sturdy option halfway in between, was worried about ending up spending fortunes fixing buckled wheels etc as conventional road bikes are a wee bit more fragile than I think I could cope with, been used to using mtb's so thought I needed to learn how to ride a lighter road style bike before going the whole hog on a carbon framed etc etc fancy thing. There was a v interesting canondale but I'm too impatient to wait till end of April for it!

Almost exactly the same scenario as myself! Ridden a MTB for almost 20 years, bought a road bike but was forever getting punctues as I was just too used to throwing the MTB about.

Just two weeks ago I picked up a new Boardman cyclocross. Love it! Great on roads and handles cycle paths/tracks easily. I'm doing John O'Groats to Coldstream in June on it ?

To be honest I think the spec between the cyclocross and the sturdy road bikes are almost exactly the same. I've loved my cyclecross and it commutes and goes off road brilliantly.

The bike you have chosen seems to have all the spec but be more catered for road riding and the occasion off road stint. I'm jealous man! You've made a fine choice. I wish this bad boy was available in September when I got mine as it's definitely the way ahead! Happy and safe riding mate!!