Any Cyclists Out Here ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Cyclists Out Here ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main difference is the Cannondale has disc brakes, so it all comes down to whether you want disc brakes or not I guess.

The advantages of disc brakes are given here (copy & paste from Edinburgh Bike Co-op website);

The Benefits of Disc Brakes
Proven for over a decade on mountain bikes and better quality hybrids, the benefits of disc brakes are becoming more and more recognised on road bike. Moving the brakes from the mud and rain-attracting wheel rims to the relatively clean hubs makes for an improvement in the brakes’ all-weather all-conditions performance. Disc brake pads are much harder so they last much longer. That's why disc brakes tend to need far less maintenance compared with rim brakes - they don't require such frequent adjustment to compensate for brake pad wear. The wheel rims should also last much longer now that they are no longer being worn down by the brake pads.

I don't have disc brakes on either of my road bikes (I do on my MTB though), but they are growing in popularity, so I guess they could become commonplace.

Test ride them both and see which one you like.

Aside from the disc brakes, they're both much the same component-wise, so geometry and comfort may help make up your mind.

Does it have to be between those two?

You could pick up a 2014 carbon bike for around the same price?

There should be loads of deals out there. For instance, Edinburgh Bike Co-op are doing a Carbon 2014 Focus Cayo Evo 4 for £949.

Test ride them both and see which one you like.

Aside from the disc brakes, they're both much the same component-wise, so geometry and comfort may help make up your mind.

Does it have to be between those two?

You could pick up a 2014 carbon bike for around the same price?

There should be loads of deals out there. For instance, Edinburgh Bike Co-op are doing a Carbon 2014 Focus Cayo Evo 4 for £949.

Took them both out a couple of weeks ago and still couldn't decide.

Those were the two (in shop) that I FINALLY managed to narrow my choice down to..............I've been told that I need 54 cm bike / frame, Cayo only has 48 / 51 online.

If there's little difference in frames ride & comfort then get disc brakes,no cable yins tho, they're pash.

Time for a road bike fer me too,changed work and doubled+ ma commute distance. Always get annoyed if I ever (rare) get overtaken by a road biker cos I know it's only because they've got a far lighter more speed suited bike than my mtb.

Any suggestions?seen a calibre stat bike that looked ok for around £650 as a starter bike...

probably better in the other sports section

the difference with the arseholes in cars ; they are protected by a metal bubble

i would love to put all the critics on a bike for a week and cycle about in traffic then come back with their ignorant views

most folk who cycle are typically car owners / drivers too

similar attitude to the fat basses who sit at the bar downing 10 pints a night and smoking 20 tabs , and bang on about the latest climber to be rescued ; and resultant cost , hassle etc ; totally oblivious to the imminent health care their sloth like behaviour will bring about

our culture typically allows for this type of behaviour as acceptable

I have a hybrid bike a Merida Crossway which has both front and back disc brakes as did my former Forme Element Mountain Bike and I agree they are much better than the old fashioned cantilever brakes that I had on previous bikes

Has anyone here maintained / replaced disc brakes? How much of a pain in the arse is it? (I've replaced the disc brakes on my car without any bother but the missus prefers a mechanic to do it - she claims she 'wants to live')

It's a skoosh, changing the pads on my mountain bike takes around 5 mins. Loads of videos on youtube etc.

probably better in the other sports section

the difference with the arseholes in cars ; they are protected by a metal bubble

i would love to put all the critics on a bike for a week and cycle about in traffic then come back with their ignorant views

most folk who cycle are typically car owners / drivers too

similar attitude to the fat basses who sit at the bar downing 10 pints a night and smoking 20 tabs , and bang on about the latest climber to be rescued ; and resultant cost , hassle etc ; totally oblivious to the imminent health care their sloth like behaviour will bring about

our culture typically allows for this type of behaviour as acceptable

I wouldn't go on a bike as I'm never in enough of a hurry to weave in and out of traffic,jump red lights,be a road user then a pedestrian and every other bad habit that goes on to risk my life then moan about it when something goes wrong.

If there's little difference in frames ride & comfort then get disc brakes,no cable yins tho, they're pash.

Time for a road bike fer me too,changed work and doubled+ ma commute distance. Always get annoyed if I ever (rare) get overtaken by a road biker cos I know it's only because they've got a far lighter more speed suited bike than my mtb.

Any suggestions?seen a calibre stat bike that looked ok for around £650 as a starter bike...

Unfortunately the bike I am looking at has the cable disc brakes, saying that, I'm sure thats what my MTB has and they're fine.

I'm exactly the same re people overtaking, make all sorts of excuses re the weight / suspension / tyres on my bike compared to theres'.

Unfortunately the bike I am looking at has the cable disc brakes, saying that, I'm sure thats what my MTB has and they're fine.

I'm exactly the same re people overtaking, make all sorts of excuses re the weight / suspension / tyres on my bike compared to theres'.

I'm about to buy a road bike. Probably just a cheap one though as I won't use it too often. Planning to do some triathlons and I doubt I'd do very well on my mountain bike in the races. I do agree that disc brakes are great, however cable ones are poor compared to hydraulics these days.

Has anyone here maintained / replaced disc brakes? How much of a pain in the arse is it? (I've replaced the disc brakes on my car without any bother but the missus prefers a mechanic to do it - she claims she 'wants to live')

Far easier than replacing car discs!dead easy.

Took them both out a couple of weeks ago and still couldn't decide.

Those were the two (in shop) that I FINALLY managed to narrow my choice down to..............I've been told that I need 54 cm bike / frame, Cayo only has 48 / 51 online.

The Focus is just an example of the deals on 2014 bikes that are available at this time of year. It really is a great time to buy, as 2015 bikes are out, Christmas is over and the weather's rubbish, so there are plenty deals to be had.

If you haven't set your heart on either of the two, shop around and see if you can pick up a full carbon bike for around the same price as the two you picked out.

Try before you buy, though, and buy from a local shop also, if possible.

If you've got your heart set on one of the two above, though, it really is down to brakes.

Disk brakes on road bikes are a relatively new thing but are becoming more popular. They're better than rim brakes, but I can't think of a situation where rim brakes have let me down.

If brakes aren't a factor for you, just pick the bike that looks the nicest.

What about a B'Twin from Decathlon?

Better alloy and Shimano 105 groupset, compared to Tiagra on the Calibre.

Cheaper also.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html

What about a B'Twin from Decathlon?

Better alloy and Shimano 105 groupset, compared to Tiagra on the Calibre.

Cheaper also.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html

Funnily enough I was looking at this one from Decathlon: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-300-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

Seems to be the best I can find for under £300.

The Focus is just an example of the deals on 2014 bikes that are available at this time of year. It really is a great time to buy, as 2015 bikes are out, Christmas is over and the weather's rubbish, so there are plenty deals to be had.

If you haven't set your heart on either of the two, shop around and see if you can pick up a full carbon bike for around the same price as the two you picked out.

Try before you buy, though, and buy from a local shop also, if possible.

If you've got your heart set on one of the two above, though, it really is down to brakes.

Disk brakes on road bikes are a relatively new thing but are becoming more popular. They're better than rim brakes, but I can't think of a situation where rim brakes have let me down.

If brakes aren't a factor for you, just pick the bike that looks the nicest.

Disc brakes on road bikes are viewed as a weight issue I believe

Got a carbon fibre road bike 2 years back

Some guys go overboard with lightweight bottle cages

Taking the caps off valve stems etc....

Am 16-1/2 stone so would make little difference