Facebook And Idiots - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Facebook And Idiots

What is it with electronic media? I guess these people have always been with us just there seems to be more of them courtesy of Facebook, twitter etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30687263

I think you're right. Eejits like this have always been with us but traditionally their thoughts have been shared only with those within ear shot or simply kept to themselves. Nowadays, Facebook and Twitter provides them with a platform to voice their thoughts to the entire world.

I am slightly surprised that someone involved in politics could be so tactless though.

I think you're right. Eejits like this have always been with us but traditionally their thoughts have been shared only with those within ear shot or simply kept to themselves. Nowadays, Facebook and Twitter provides them with a platform to voice their thoughts to the entire world.

I am slightly surprised that someone involved in politics could be so tactless though.

'Tactless'???? Hmmmm not sure that is the appropriate term

I think that's my point, this isn't some guy whose barely into his twenties or some half educated footballer but at some level he is an elected representative. As an aside I also think if he had been a UKIP candidate rather than a right on politically correct LibDem the media might have even made of his crass remarks.

'Tactless'???? Hmmmm not sure that is the appropriate term

I agree, it isn't the most appropriate term to describe what he actually posted. Crass, cruel, disgusting or misogynistic would have described it much more accurately, so much so that I felt it didn't even need highlighting.

The point I was making was that it surprised me that an elected public representative could let him mask slip quite so publically. It doesn't surprise me that there are men like this character involved in politics, sadly, but they are usual savvy enough to maintain a front in public.