Motherwell Vs Aberdeen - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Motherwell Vs Aberdeen

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equally though, from the angle Collum saw the incident, I see why he had to give the penalty.

Although you could argue Collum didn't see it at all, and as they always tell us, they can't give it if they don't see it.

Based on his performance the week before, he maybe was just getting twitchy that he hadn't had a red card or a penalty yet, so killed 2 birds with one stone?

:lol:

Anyone who hasn't got round to watching the stmirren v killie highlights, it's worth a look!

:shocked:

Not one of the 3 penalties is a penalty, not even ones you'd appeal for, but wouldn't like against you. Just complete nothing incidents.

The straight red card seems exceptionally harsh, the guy that gets the 2nd booking is perhaps a fair cop, you could make an argument for common sense to prevail, but the guy does jump the boards, knows he's on a yellow, so perhaps it's him that should've had more common sense?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30600655

Although you could argue Collum didn't see it at all, and as they always tell us, they can't give it if they don't see it.

Based on his performance the week before, he maybe was just getting twitchy that he hadn't had a red card or a penalty yet, so killed 2 birds with one stone?

:lol:

Anyone who hasn't got round to watching the stmirren v killie highlights, it's worth a look!

:shocked:

Not one of the 3 penalties is a penalty, not even ones you'd appeal for, but wouldn't like against you. Just complete nothing incidents.

The straight red card seems exceptionally harsh, the guy that gets the 2nd booking is perhaps a fair cop, you could make an argument for common sense to prevail, but the guy does jump the boards, knows he's on a yellow, so perhaps it's him that should've had more common sense?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30600655

Kenny McLean's red card overturne too, so not a good week for Willie 'look at me, I'm in charge' Collum.

Wonder what his punishment will be?

Common sense previals, well done review panel.

Yip, absolutely the right decision on both counts. I did my ref course a couple of years ago and collum was held up as this shinning light and an example of how you can progress.

He started as a ref far, far too young. In my opinion, which maybe wrong, I feel strongly you have to have played competitive football for a good few years to get a feel for the game, to understand the frustrations of the players, to understand the physics of a challenge, to understand the natural reactions of the body, to understand different styles of officiating and how you react, positively or negatively to it.

The fast tracking of this guy has created a monster. He is an poor, poor referee promoted well above his ability level but is the poster boy and a model of how success and progression can be made. The SFA are in between a rock and a hard place with him but I fully believe he needs to be given lower league games for a while to take stock and reasses. There was a shocking stat on wearethistle that sums him up. 22 of 79 penalties (28%) in SPL and 19 of 72 red cards (26%) have been given by him. Those figures and the consistent overturning of many of those decisions sum him up. A poor, poor referee.

Edited by flynnyboy

Yip, absolutely the right decision on both counts. I did my ref course a couple of years ago and collum was held up as this shinning light and an example of how you can progress.

He started as a ref far, far too young. In my opinion, which maybe wrong, I feel strongly you have to have played competitive football for a good few years to get a feel for the game, to understand the frustrations of the players, to understand the physics of a challenge, to understand the natural reactions of the body, to understand different styles of officiating and how you react, positively or negatively to it.

The fast tracking of this guy has created a monster. He is an poor, poor referee promoted well above his ability level but is the poster boy and a model of how success and progression can be made. The SFA are in between a rock and a hard place with him but I fully believe he needs to be given lower league games for a while to take stock and reasses. There was a shocking stat on wearethistle that sums him up. 22 of 79 penalties (28%) in SPL and 19 of 72 red cards (26%) have been given by him. Those figures and the consistent overturning of many of those decisions sum him up. A poor, poor referee.

There are a few refs. like that in Scotland...Steven McLean being another classic example, and I suspect that Dallas Junior could fall into this category.

Problem is, all national associations are under pressure from UEFA to fast-track officials. It means that referees are officiating high profile games at the age of 26 or 27......that's ridiculous.

They shouldn't be officiating Premiership games until at least 30, and only after they've had 4 or 5 years in the lower leagues to make their mistakes.

There are a few refs. like that in Scotland...Steven McLean being another classic example, and I suspect that Dallas Junior could fall into this category.

Problem is, all national associations are under pressure from UEFA to fast-track officials. It means that referees are officiating high profile games at the age of 26 or 27......that's ridiculous.

They shouldn't be officiating Premiership games until at least 30, and only after they've had 4 or 5 years in the lower leagues to make their mistakes.

Completely and utterly agree.

Experience, both life and game experience as a player, even at a low level, and a good few years refereeing the amateurs and juniors are essential I think to be able to handle the scrutiny and pressure of refereeing top level matches.

I appreciate the pressure uefa place upon the associations, but they should be strong enough to realise when they have made a mistake with an individual and take steps to address that either by retraining or even a grade or two demotion. Collum progress is continual despite it being painfully obvious that he is so highly incompatent operating at the level he finds himself at. If he wasn't such a dictatorial and obnoxious figure on the park I'd kinda feel sorry for him as it is his management that has to address his inabilities.

Edited by flynnyboy

If they're good enough to ref senior football theyre good enough for all leagues.

Its a poor attitude saying he's not good enough for the SPL but fine to cock up the "lower leagues". Absolute pish, especially considering the number of posters on here who moan about derbies being reffed differently to other games. All games should be reffed the same.

If they're good enough to ref senior football theyre good enough for all leagues.

Its a poor attitude saying he's not good enough for the SPL but fine to cock up the "lower leagues". Absolute pish, especially considering the number of posters on here who moan about derbies being reffed differently to other games. All games should be reffed the same.

Correct and Collum is still a poor Referee.

I understand what you are saying but it really is quite similar to young players at top clubs being loaned out to lower league clubs to learn the game and make their mistakes at that level. They have been identified as potentially having the ability to make it at the top level and they hopefully learn from it and come back even better having developed. However again using the same comparison if a talent fails to develop and is continually making the same mistakes then that club would get shot of the player and they invariably end up carving out a career in the lower levels.

There simply isn't enough talented referees in scotland to ensure all leagues are officiated to a high standard. You only have to look at the top league to see that. Those how have made it to the top and don't make it should be given the chance at a lower level to prove they have learns from their mistakes. However if they don't then our association should be bold enough to bin them as in the anology with the loan player.

Edited by flynnyboy

Judging folk based on their age? Bizarre.

That's exactly what the SFA do on their courses for referees though mate. The guys who did my course, two of whom were grade one refs were very open about it. They were instructed to concentrate on those who could be fast tracked, i.e 18 and under and females.

I raised the point that in all the years I've been refereed under all grades of refs from one down wards the best referee I had experienced was jim Lauchlan, ex killie and Utd player, by far. I feel it was down to his experience as being a pro and having experienced being on the other side. I was told he was too old to be fast tracked, at 35. As was I at 31 at the time. So it very much is based on age rather than ability with regards to referees.

Of course, you're right.

But there's a reason why referees start off their career officiating at Lochgelly Albert v Kelty Hearts, and not at Barcelona v Bayern Munich in the Champions League. They have to learn somewhere.

Like players, referees gain experience as time goes on and an official should be a better referee at 45 than he is at 25. I didn't mean that incompetent referees should be let loose on the lower leagues because these games are not important, I just meant that (IMHO) too many officials are fast-tracked to the top levels of the game too quickly.

For what it's worth, I think Collum is a better referee now than he was 3 or 4 years ago. I realise he's a had a dodgy run in the last few weeks, but we all have bad days at the office.