Good Riddance 2014 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Charlie Brooker last night - most of the year in terms of current affairs seemed depressing - war terrorism disease disasters etc - the usual I suppose - though elements of torture and beheading perhaps more extreme than usual.

Referendum obviously a big one but things move on swiftly - if you considered it a defeat, then the next 'game' not too far away.

Aside from the actual politics, a lot of the background was eye-opening. including the jekyll and hide nature of this crazy country. Probably underestimated on one hand the naked visceral hostility to Scottish aspiration for self-dertermination by some normally rational liberal types south of the border, and on the other hand, probably underestimated the strength of deeply held Britishness to extent of outraged possessiveness about Scotland by some south of the border (e.g. thinking of Scottish land, and lochs and everything as being 'theirs', in a way I would never think, say, the lakes of the lake district as 'ours'). The hysteria in the week or so running up to the referendum was something to behold. Certain newspapers, broadcasters, politicians and monarchs (they know who they are) reached new lows, probably irretrievably, for me. Seeing things you saw with your own eyes, reported in the media in another way entirely was very strange, almost like viewing a troubled foreign country from the outside. Probably have never felt more estranged from institutions south of the border.

Still, 2014 better for knowing where you stand.

What else? Glasgow buzzing for Commonwealth Games. Managed to take a tram in Edinburgh.

Scoring against the world champions and a couple of victories keep the Scotland scene hopeful.

My maw attacking me with a salmon

Aye, a year like no other.

That is funny min, it could have been a kipper mind, if you happen to be in the vicinty atop arthur seat the morra I will happily share a dram wi yeh, saying that the weather forecast is for pissing rain.

All the best.

That is funny min, it could have been a kipper mind, if you happen to be in the vicinty atop arthur seat the morra I will happily share a dram wi yeh, saying that the weather forecast is for pissing rain.

All the best.

I don't think he would have bought a knocked off kipper

Not a bad year, first one in quite a few years where loved ones haven't had bad illnesses or near fatal accidents so have to consider it a success!! ?

Early night tonight and (if bodily functions calm down) off for Ne'erday swim in peaceful solitude tomorrow.?

Health and happiness to all in 2015.???

Edited by G-Man

Quite content with my 2014. Secured a pernament at long last.

Got two cracking kids and a wonderful mrs who has been accomadating my tartan army away games requests.

Roll on 2015 where i must not take my good fortune for granted.

The referendum was a dissapointment but to quote mr salmond.

The dream will NEVER die.

Soar alba

2014 for me will be forever remembered for the time I was sitting mid-flight across the Atlantic hoping to arrive back home in Scotland to celebrate and the Captain of the plane announced the result over the tannoy. I about fell of my seat and cried a little. The only time I've ever witnessed an air stewardess break protocol to come over and wrap her arms around me tightly. The Yanks on board must have been wondering what the heck was going on. :worried:

2014 for me will be forever remembered for the time I was sitting mid-flight across the Atlantic hoping to arrive back home in Scotland to celebrate and the Captain of the plane announced the result over the tannoy. I about fell of my seat and cried a little. The only time I've ever witnessed an air stewardess break protocol to come over and wrap her arms around me tightly. The Yanks on board must have been wondering what the heck was going on. :worried:

Just read this and it doesn't make sense without saying it was the referendum result in September I was referring to.

you just made me cry, mate.

No matter what else happened in 2014, the events of September make it the most disappointing year of my life.

We all have personal ups and downs. There will be deaths, births, marriages etc which will be personally significant to us and our loved ones.

But nothing can, or will ever, come close to being as significant to us as a collective, to us as a nation, to us as a people than the vote which we loss.

We CAN, we WILL be a nation again.

I just hope I live to see the day

you just made me cry, mate.

No matter what else happened in 2014, the events of September make it the most disappointing year of my life.

We all have personal ups and downs. There will be deaths, births, marriages etc which will be personally significant to us and our loved ones.

But nothing can, or will ever, come close to being as significant to us as a collective, to us as a nation, to us as a people than the vote which we loss.

We CAN, we WILL be a nation again.

I just hope I live to see the day

My entire life it was all I ever wanted. To stand up and tell the world I came from a free Scotland. To have such hope and excitement crushed with one single tannoy message was heartbreaking. I just wanted to turn the plane around in mid-air. :worried:

I arrived in Glasgow anyway and spent the weekend there. My mates all came down from Perth for the weekend and we ended up caught up in that shit on the Friday night in George Square. We were in Waxy O'Connor's when the police locked us all inside due to the animals around the area.

Edited by Ormond

Sorry to hear it hasn't been the year everyone hoped.

It's been a very special year for me for a number of reasons, the main one being my good lady falling pregnant with our first child. 3 weeks to go now so it really will be the best end and start to a new year I could wish for.

All the best to you all for 2015. Hopefully we are all celebrating a trip to France come the end of it. :)

Edited by Angus_Young

Sorry to hear it hasn't been the year everyone hoped.

It's been a very special year for me for a number of reasons, the main one being my good lady falling pregnant with our first child. 3 weeks to go now so it really will be the best end and start to a new year I could wish for.

All the best to you all for 2015. Hopefully we are all celebrating a trip to France come the end of it. :)

Congratulations. I had my first this year. Get ready to be tired and give up any idea of free time

Congratulations. I had my first this year. Get ready to be tired and give up any idea of free time

It's funny how nothing anyone says can actually prepare you for that. We had our first in October and, despite receiving similar advice from loads of people, I just wasn't ready for the lack of sleep etc. Worth it though.

In view of the above-mentioned arrival, 2014 goes down as a great year personally but unfortunately it'll always have the shadow of September 18/19 hanging over it - unless that proves to be a point on the journey and the destination is genuinely in sight. In that case, 2014 will be seen as a monumentally significant year for us all.

Ormond and Tartandon you are both a bunch of arses!

I am sitting by myself in my living room drinking wine. Been thinking about the referendum, listening to songs trying to hold myself together. Now after reading this I am as raw as the night of the referendum and am sitting here now in a room by myself in tears.

The good parts were good, the bad parts were awful.

Granda's last brother, girlfriend's grandmother, mum's cousin and pal's dad died. The first two, of course was sad to say bye, but lived a fair age. The younger pair were in their 50s and early 60s.

Job is looking unsecure. Not been told anything by management and if ever brought up by anyone we are told by the management they do not know anything more than us. Probably looking at hunting for work in 2015.

The Referendum - the 19th of September. I'll never forget for a long time. The day after was dark, dreich and just awful - probably like any other autumn/winter day, but the streets deserted and the odd person you passed on the street was looking down. I seen no bunting parties. Just a miserable place that confirmed it's status as a region. Picked myself up a little by the 19th morning and joined the SNP like many did.

Remember going abroad for the first time and people talking to me as if I had lost my family, ''I'm so so sorry'', and ''Scotland, haha'' are two comments that stick out. All those songs, history, and so on about us being a nation. Scotland the brav(ado), just a novelty act, really, well, for the now.

The good times were good though :)

In regular touch with pals/family and actively doing stuff/getting things organised.

Fittest I've ever been in my life at 31 too or was up to last week - but cycling, running, 5s, walking, etc.