The Dundee Appreciation Thread. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Dundee Appreciation Thread.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended Dundee University and had mainly good experiences. Many of them of a sexual nature. With girls. Over 18s exclusively, unlike the local population. Liked it so much I went back about 5 years later when an employment opportunity came up. ( Yes, employment in Dundee).

I love Dundee. Just the right mix of a town and a city. Lots of nice pubs, restaurants, cafes. Loads going on culturally. The Victoria and Prince Albert will be amazing. Cannae believe they're calling a museum after a cock piercing though......go figure.......that's London for you.

Should really qualify the above with a disclaimer - as per my username, we moved to Broughty Ferry as soon as finances allowed. Now that would be a good thread - Broughty Ferry appreciation please. Best wee toon in Scotland. Even slightly nicer than Stewarton.

I attended Dundee University and had mainly good experiences. Many of them of a sexual nature. With girls. Over 18s exclusively, unlike the local population. Liked it so much I went back about 5 years later when an employment opportunity came up. ( Yes, employment in Dundee).

I love Dundee. Just the right mix of a town and a city. Lots of nice pubs, restaurants, cafes. Loads going on culturally. The Victoria and Prince Albert will be amazing. Cannae believe they're calling a museum after a cock piercing though......go figure.......that's London for you.

Should really qualify the above with a disclaimer - as per my username, we moved to Broughty Ferry as soon as finances allowed. Now that would be a good thread - Broughty Ferry appreciation please. Best wee toon in Scotland. Even slightly nicer than Stewarton.

:ok::cheers3:

Mrs P is from the Ferry and I can concur.

I've been visiting Dundee for 20 years now since we first got together. The city centre is unrecognisable in that time and the improvements they've made are highly impressive. Rather uniquely, they seem to compliment the remaining older parts of the city rather than dominate them.

The Ferry's great. Cracking views across the water, can't beat a warm day there in the summer. I see the RAILWAY STATION (sorry, Chas) has had a proper good luck o' paint and looks great.

Broty Castle - does it still have the voice over on the second floor "Wull, Hullo there!"

Still to conquer the Ferry 15 and doubt I ever will, but some great pubs in the Ferry.

Big question though - is the Ferry classed as Dundee? I know techinally it is, but do proper Dundonians class it as one? I'm a fake one born in Ninewells, but brought up in the compounds of Angus/Dee border.

The Ferry's great. Cracking views across the water, can't beat a warm day there in the summer. I see the RAILWAY STATION (sorry, Chas) has had a proper good luck o' paint and looks great.

Broty Castle - does it still have the voice over on the second floor "Wull, Hullo there!"

Still to conquer the Ferry 15 and doubt I ever will, but some great pubs in the Ferry.

Big question though - is the Ferry classed as Dundee? I know techinally it is, but do proper Dundonians class it as one? I'm a fake one born in Ninewells, but brought up in the compounds of Angus/Dee border.

:ok:

The Ferry is indeed superb - what a pub crawl!

"Big question though - is the Ferry classed as Dundee? I know techinally it is, but do proper Dundonians class it as one? I'm a fake one born in Ninewells, but brought up in the compounds of Angus/Dee border." Posted by weekevie04

Do you mean Menzsieshill ?? Or maybe Invergowrie ?? It sounds suspiciously like you do actually come from Dundee ??

Broughty Ferry is a suburb of Dundee, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Dundonians are known for their friendliness and down to earth nature. One thing we laugh about is the number of people you meet who feel the need to say they come from Broughty Ferry (or other such mystical places as Ninewells :wave:) I still tell the story of meeting a guy in a pub in Glasgow who said he was from "The Ferry", when I asked where abouts, it tyrned out he was from the Gotterstone area which is nearer to Douglas than the Ferry. I just remarked, You mean West West West Ferry then. He looked at me like speechless, awkward and slightly embarressed realising I was from Dundee and he had just made a TW$T of himself. Probably a Superstar Tradesman :sing:

I've never got the negatives about Dundee, most folk that say things like "Dump", "Shithole" obviously dont know the place r have hardly ever been. I met a guy in Banff who owned a Cafe I was having breakfast in, and as we spoke and he found out I was from Dundee, he said he'd been once and that it was a bit of a shithole. I asked when he had last been and was astounded when he said 1963. Yeh, no joke, I just looked at him obviously dumbfounded and bewildered.

There is a book by a typically snotty Southern English gent called Charles Jennings, the book is Faintheart. Its not a masterpiece and he is probably one of those English guys you meet that you just want to punch, but its good insight into how someone who had never been to Scotland, and a typicaly Snotty Condescending Southerner (I know I'm generalising - but we've all met these types before) experienced Scotland with his in own built snotty predjudices.

"The description on Aberdeen is horribly true. I couldn't spend a night there. Edinburgh as a European city rather than a British one; a fascinating, gripping and wonderful place. Dundee as the only truly Scottish city."

He absolutley detested Aberdeen, but his discriptions were very similiar to my thoughts on the place, he loved Inverness (as I do), and I was curious as how he would find Dundee. I was astounded with what he had to say, so positive, talked about the charms of the city, the picturesque commanding setting, but mostly about how friendly and curious the Dundonians were. He felt really safe and welcome.

I stay in Melbourne now, but always love coming back to the "Toon". You forget how sweet and fresh the air is, and how you will always bump into someone ye ken :wink2: Youve got to ken the place to get the best from it. It's not Edinburgh or Glasgow, but sure is a stunning Scottish City and thats being objective and a highly balanced view.

The transformation of the place is and the amount of money beng invested is eye watering, I will not recognise the place when I come home in a couple of years.

Edited by HUNTINGMcGREGOR

Unesco City of Design - whatever that means.

Dundee has been named the UK's first City of Design by the United Nations.

The city has been recognised by Unesco for its diverse contributions to fields including medical research, comics and video games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-30275768

I stay in Perth but work in Dundee – it is a grand wee place.

Dundee has been named the UK's first City of Design by the United Nations.

I stay in Perth but work in Dundee it is a grand wee place.

A lot of Dundonians do. Who can blame them? If I had a bob or two and was a Dundonian I'd do the same.

I've never got the negatives about Dundee, most folk that say things like "Dump", "Shithole" obviously dont know the place r have hardly ever been. I met a guy in Banff who owned a Cafe I was having breakfast in, and as we spoke and he found out I was from Dundee, he said he'd been once and that it was a bit of a shithole. I asked when he had last been and was astounded when he said 1963. Yeh, no joke, I just looked at him obviously dumbfounded and bewildered.

One of the main reasons I thought it was were the amount of old 1970's cars kicking about. Long after Morrris Marina's had disappeared everywhere else there were still rakes of them when you got to Dundee :D We used to play the "Spot the old relic" game when we past through ;)

I am not Aberdonian but will defend it. To be honest I think more people slag off Aberdeen than Dundee but it appears to me it is more about wanting to upset the people rather than actually hating it - in fact I think that is part of the reason people slag Dundee too. It is tribal!

Each Scottish city is different and I love that. Two of things I love about Aberdeen are the harbour right in the centre of the city and the beach which is a fantastic place to go and looks different every time you go depending on the weather, the light and the time of year. It can look stunning. There are great walks round the coast at Nigg Bay and dolphins to spot in the mouth of the harbour :) Fittie is also a lovely place to go.

The people of Aberdeen themselves often don't appreciate what is right under their noses but with a bit of TLC and some of the money that has been spent in Glasgow and is being spent in Dundee there are loads of ways to improve some of the areas that have become tatty through years of neglect. There also needs to be a Council that is not fixated with putting up glass boxes everywhere and then claiming Aberdonians don't want change when they complain - not helped by the Aberdonians that defend the glass boxes because they just want change regardless of what it is. I have seen great examples of new architecture around the world but we never see anything like these proposed for Aberdeen. The Marine Operation Centre is the only example of anything new an innovative that has become a landmark building.

The fact that it is the oil capital of Europe you wouldn't know from looking at the city. The only way you see it is in the office developments and house prices. It is a scandal that the investment in the city has not happened. But that said Aberdeen is a great place as are all of Scotland's cities for all the different reasons.

The 4 big cities in Scotland all have their pros and cons.

I like all of them in their own way.

Indeed! :ok:

One of the main reasons I thought it was were the amount of old 1970's cars kicking about. Long after Morrris Marina's had disappeared everywhere else there were still rakes of them when you got to Dundee :D We used to play the "Spot the old relic" game when we past through ;)

I am not Aberdonian but will defend it. To be honest I think more people slag off Aberdeen than Dundee but it appears to me it is more about wanting to upset the people rather than actually hating it - in fact I think that is part of the reason people slag Dundee too. It is tribal!

How funny, maybe it was like that, I can remember when it was a bit depressing - the Old Wellgate and especially the old Overgate. Tatty Chinese Takeaways and the beyond comprehension "listed and protected" Bingo tower in Nethergate. Like many towns and cities during this recession, lots of £1 stores and charity shops were taking prime retail places which I found quite depressing. But the place has come a long way and I'm not going too look through rose tinted spectacles. I also have witnessed the schemes (where I came from) and poverty and drug abuse first hand. Every city has that though.

I'm just always confused with the amount of negative stuff I've heard over the years mostly from Aberdonians (where I've spent 2 years working there and wondered what they were seeing that I wasn't "Yir nae fae Dundee ir ye?"). I find Aberdeen grey and dour (Unless the Sun is shining on the granite) and with 1 long thouroughfare stretching from Union Street to Albyn Place. It's not tribal form me but people from Perth always seem to give Dundee a hard time - my mates always laugh as for almost 2 decades, when I see Perth enroute down the M90, I always mutter "Perth, whats is the fuqking point of Perth?

My mates from Glasgow, Ardrossan, Edinburgh, Cumnock and Saltcoats studied with me in Dundee and love the place - always happy fir a nite oot on the swally - mainly becuase of the relaxed nature and friendly banter.

It does not get the attention it now deserves, and its only going to get better with the Wellgate overhaul and all the planned millions being spent.

The place has captured the future with Internationally recognised centre of excellance for biomedical research and attracts the top brass, notwithstanding the Digital Media and Gaming Industry repuation, Duncan of Jordanstone, the Universities with one of the highest student populations in Scotland.

So in order for me, Edinburgh (finest City in Europe if not the world), beats them all in my eyes, Dundee, Glasgow, Inverness, St.Andrews ... I could go on before I even get to Perth and Aberdeen ha ha !

Edited by HUNTINGMcGREGOR

You are entitled to your opinion about Aberdeen but I fail to see how you can think the beach is ever grey or dour! I love it so much especially since running park run and see it every Saturday - it is never anything other than stunning.

The fact that most of the buildings are granite is something to appreciate and preserve but too many people think the grey is a bad thing and as a result we risk losing something very unique. Look at Marischal College - it is grey but there is nothing dour about it. It is a fantastic piece or architecture and there are plenty other examples but many have been neglected and so overlooked.

To be honest I think most people would put Aberdeen at the bottom of the list including Aberdonians which I think is very sad

How funny, maybe it was like that, I can remember when it was a bit depressing - the Old Wellgate and especially the old Overgate. Tatty Chinese Takeaways and the beyond comprehension "listed and protected" Bingo tower in Nethergate. Like many towns and cities during this recession, lots of £1 stores and charity shops were taking prime retail places which I found quite depressing. But the place has come a long way and I'm not going too look through rose tinted spectacles. I also have witnessed the schemes (where I came from) and poverty and drug abuse first hand. Every city has that though.

I'm just always confused with the amount of negative stuff I've heard over the years mostly from Aberdonians (where I've spent 2 years working there and wondered what they were seeing that I wasn't "Yir nae fae Dundee ir ye?"). I find Aberdeen grey and dour (Unless the Sun is shining on the granite) and with 1 long thouroughfare stretching from Union Street to Albyn Place. It's not tribal form me but people from Perth always seem to give Dundee a hard time - my mates always laugh as for almost 2 decades, when I see Perth enroute down the M90, I always mutter "Perth, whats is the fuqking point of Perth?

My mates from Glasgow, Ardrossan, Edinburgh, Cumnock and Saltcoats studied with me in Dundee and love the place - always happy fir a nite oot on the swally - mainly becuase of the relaxed nature and friendly banter.

It does not get the attention it now deserves, and its only going to get better with the Wellgate overhaul and all the planned millions being spent.

The place has captured the future with Internationally recognised centre of excellance for biomedical research and attracts the top brass, notwithstanding the Digital Media and Gaming Industry repuation, Duncan of Jordanstone, the Universities with one of the highest student populations in Scotland.

So in order for me, Edinburgh (finest City in Europe if not the world), beats them all in my eyes, Dundee, Glasgow, Inverness, St.Andrews ... I could go on before I even get to Perth and Aberdeen ha ha !

mind the joke doing the rounds some time back, when the 'city of discovery' slogan was coined

the 2nd place vote was ; Dundee 'we've got a boat' .....

this was during the 80s tho ; and things have changed a lot since then - many folk probably form an early impression of a city , after being frog-marched from station past shut down lino stores etc (football specials days)

took my wife to dundee for her birthday about 10years back and was pleased to see the differences from being there on holiday monday trips with parents in the 70s - stayed at the scandanavian style hotel down by the water - after trawling the city for a decent looking restaurant ended back at the hotel for a meal - it was day of dunfermline v celtic cup final , so maybe not best day for a night out

in defence of Aberdeen , off Union st, the revitalized belmont st area , leading to school hill , view of hm theatre, st marks etc to rival edinburgh/glasgow

george st/st nicholas st was a massive thoroughfare in days gone by , loads of decent shops ; big dept stores

unfortunately replaced by back shopping centres , subsequently north side of george st becomes a bit of a no go zone , and a bit of a culture shock for the john lewis types

am sure it's changed even more since then

george st/st nicholas st was a massive thoroughfare in days gone by , loads of decent shops ; big dept stores

unfortunately replaced by back shopping centres , subsequently north side of george st becomes a bit of a no go zone , and a bit of a culture shock for the john lewis types

It is no worse that the further up Argyll Street or indeed Sauchiehall Street imo

I used to think it was a Scottish thing to slag the 'other guy' or 'other place'. Edinburgh v Glasgow etc, then you realise it's a human thing, Liverpool v Manchester, Sydney v Melbourne etc

Dundee can be great, and it can be a shyte hole, just the same as any other place in Scotland.