The Demise - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm 28 and both young and auld.

Mentally i'm auld. I'm uptight, I moan about shite that isn't important, i have an opinion on everything (you may have noticed...) and 9 times out of 10 i'd prefer a few quiet pints and an early night over a big night out.

Physically i'm in fantastic shape. Probably the best i've ever been. I can run a 10k in 40 minutes, easily last a full game of 11 a sides and i can lift more weight than ever before.

I'd say snap.

Apart from I'm 32, not 28.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither 28 nor 32 is "auld". You pair should be in the prime of your lives.

It no surprise Parkie can last 90 minutes if he still ponces aboot like he did in THAT photo.

I've got about 2 stone less fat and half a stone more muscle than i did in that photo :lol:

Aye, but are they just more poncin aboot muscles or proper running muscles? I think we need a before and after?

I think you need to keep your requests for pictures of me to PM's. Your public displays of affection are making me blush...

I think I noticed the decline kicking in about 40 when my metabolism decided it couldn't be arsed anymore and my previous blithe existence of fat-free overendulgence ground to a halt. Soon after that long-sightedness spannered my eyes.

Despite cutting back a bit on food and beer, by 50 I was carrying round a definite spare tyre and the occasional bout of amoebic dysentery in Africa, though helpful, did little to alleviate the long-term trend.

A month in Japan has been like a detox programme. The humidity for the first couple of weeks had me sweating like a burst water main and I'm existing on a daily diet of raw fish. I'm revisiting holes in my belt that haven't been used in years. Plus reading food labels in the shops is like putting in a shift at Bletchley Park circa 1941 so the mental decline might be slowed marginally as well.

As for 'feeling' old, I mentally menopaused about the age of 15 and so have no memory of what it feels like to be a young, free-spirited pain in the rear. So all in all, things couldn't be much better. Ta fraskin.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the opticians yesterday and he gave me a prescription for reading glasses :cry: with a view to the future - as I never have any bother reading anything the cynic in me thinks opticians are using free eye tests to lure people through their doors - citing checks for glaucoma and diabetes when all they're interested in doing is flogging folk a pair of goggles. Apparently the uptake for free eye tests is far higher among the wealthier and better educated (me being one of the exceptions), so it may be the case that the poor are subsidising folk that can well afford to pay for the test. I actually only went as I get heehaw else for nothing and the optometrist on my last two visits was an Asian babe - cue severe disappointment when I was met by a bearded bloke.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I was at the opticians yesterday and he gave me a prescription for reading glasses :cry: with a view to the future - as I never have any bother reading anything the cynic in me thinks opticians are using free eye tests to lure people through their doors - citing checks for glaucoma and diabetes when all they're interested in doing is flogging folk a pair of goggles. Apparently the uptake for free eye tests is far higher among the wealthier and better educated (me being one of the exceptions), so it may be the case that the poor are subsidising folk that can well afford to pay for the test. I actually only went as I get heehaw else for nothing and the optometrist on my last two visits was an Asian babe - cue severe disappointment when I was met by a bearded bloke.

Did you get his phone number ?

And if you did, do you have to hold it waaaaaaay out at arms reach to read it ?

Asian Babes a quality 80s top shelfer :love::-))

I'm 34 and feel the youngest I have in years. I've lost 4 stone since January and have been swimming 3 times a week every week - I've gone from being barely able to do 2 lengths to doing 80-100 no bother at all, and am doing a 2km charity swim on Sunday. I do a lot more walking, and don't get out of breath going up the stairs or walking up a hill. I've dropped from a XXXL to a Large in t-shirts and a 46" waist to a 38" - the smallest clothes sizes I've been in since my mid-teens (before I discovered the joys of beer). Basically, I'm the healthiest I've been in as long as I can remember, so feel the best I have in God knows how long.

But, I'm balding (and have been since my late teens), and I have grey hair in my beard. I'm also much happier just sitting in the pub having a pint & a chat than actually going "out out" to a club or whatever. Once it hits midnight I'm seriously considering going home to bed as well. My music tastes are still stuck in the 90s, and I refuse to listen to the radio as it's all pish. So while my body might be feeling young, my mind is definitely auld!

Are you me? I'm 35.

Likewise I went from 17 stone (XXL Scotland jersey) to 13 stone (Large Scotland jersey), feel much better for it. Still a lazy (the weight loss was all down to diet). I'm now pretty much in a calorie controlled diet as when I fall off the wagon for a weekend, it takes me a fortnight to get back to equilibrium.

I went bald very early (about 22, so that's never bothered me).

I love having my wee boys (6 & 4) they keep me active, love taking them to football and rugby training. Also started taking my eldest to a few games. I like the fact that we are starting to out vote my wife for watching the footie.

Drinking wise I'm still young, and drink to absolute destruction when out with my mates. Doesn't help that they are all the same.

Still a lager drinker, although find myself slipping into drinking cider (must be the west country). Really enjoy eating out, and spend a lot more time with family compared to friends.

Are you me? I'm 35.

Likewise I went from 17 stone (XXL Scotland jersey) to 13 stone (Large Scotland jersey), feel much better for it. Still a lazy (the weight loss was all down to diet). I'm now pretty much in a calorie controlled diet as when I fall off the wagon for a weekend, it takes me a fortnight to get back to equilibrium.

I went bald very early (about 22, so that's never bothered me).

I love having my wee boys (6 & 4) they keep me active, love taking them to football and rugby training. Also started taking my eldest to a few games. I like the fact that we are starting to out vote my wife for watching the footie.

Drinking wise I'm still young, and drink to absolute destruction when out with my mates. Doesn't help that they are all the same.

Still a lager drinker, although find myself slipping into drinking cider (must be the west country). Really enjoy eating out, and spend a lot more time with family compared to friends.

Kevin Bridges in his tour just now has a great bit of how folk in their 30's/40's with young kids have much wilder blow out nights than when they were younger.

Kevin Bridges in his tour just now has a great bit of how folk in their 30's/40's with young kids have much wilder blow out nights than when they were younger.

It's true. When I was 18, club kicked out at 02:00, it would be a kebab and a walk home. Now it's drinking solid until 02:00 (including cocktails, when the fook they become acceptable I don't know?), then late night bar, then back to the single guys flat for more drinks. I was walking home at 07:00 earlier this year! Didn't even do that when I was young.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

It's true. When I was 18, club kicked out at 02:00, it would be a kebab and a walk home. Now it's drinking solid until 02:00 (including cocktails, when the fook they become acceptable I don't know?), then late night bar, then back to the single guys flat for more drinks. I was walking home at 07:00 earlier this year! Didn't even do that when I was young.

J

The 'when do cocktails become acceptable' question is a good one. If you're talking what stage of a night out, I would say when you've had enough bevvy to not give a toss who's filming you drinking your Blue Baby Doll Coconut Liqueur for upload to CouponBook.

If you're asking what time of life? Well I'm now 42 and would've rather scratched my erse with a rusty red-hot poker than go anywhere near a cocktail up until 2 or 3 years ago. Yet there I am, every time I'm in Glasgow, dragging the missus (who doesn't complain right enough) to the Blue Dog to melt my credit card and get my fix of piano jazz. Ending up in Relax afterwards is a puzzle I'm still to solve :lol: