The Universe - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think anything will be found on Mars, anything at all ?

There's the possibility for some microscopic life to be hanging on somewhere underground, but not much more than that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we found plenty of evidence for life having been on Mars millions of years ago when it had a thicker atmosphere, but not much significant now.

The place I think we'd find life will be Europa. JUICE will launch in 2022, take 7 years to get to Jupiter and spend three years studying Europa, Ganymede and Callisto, all of which are thought to have liquid water on them. The heat comes from churning of the rocks inside these moons because of the high gravity of Jupiter - basically tidal forces like our moon causes on earth, but strong enough to bend rocks.

However that's a long way away. More exciting in the near term is New Frontiers, which arrives at Pluto next year. It took this cracking photo of Io on the way past Jupiter

330px-NewHorizonsIo.svg.png

the thing at the top is a volcano erupting and ejecting lava out to a height of 330km.

We have so little knowledge of Pluto that we really have no idea what we're going to find, so that will be very exciting.

I'm not confusing anything.

Here's the original post...

Donald then introduced the earth not having an edge in his first post (which was post #4).

Biffer (if I understand him correctly) is maintaining that because the earth is finite, then the universe could be too.

So is the outer part of the universe solid as well? (Or do we measure space?)

And if the universe is expanding, then what is it expanding into?

In conclusion... We can measure the earth, and we can't measure the universe.

The Creator, God, would know.

Job 38:5

Isaiah 40:12

Psalm 102:25

Isaiah 48:13

Amos 4:13

Bingo!

See Professor Brian Cox thinks that we are "alone" in the universe, he's changed his opinion then has he not ?

I think he is just looking at it from a different angle this time. The program that I saw a while back he was talking about the sheer size of the numbers involved. He was looking at the vast numbers of galaxies in our universe and the vast number of stars in each galaxy and then the vast numbers of planets that there could be in all those solar systems. From memory, I think he went onto the Drake Equation and how, when you plug in the numbers, it might appear that it is "likely" that other intelligent life forms exist in the universe.

This time round he is looking at all the coincidences that have happened to Earth which have allowed intelligent life to evolve. Coupling all of those together it points towards the probability of it happening, somewhere else in the universe, might be unlikely.

It is important to remember that in both programs he is talking about intelligent life civilisations capable of developing some form of communication throughout space. The arguments for and against any other life forms throughout the universe are a wee bit different.

I would guess that if you asked him the question "Are there any other intelligent life forms out there?" then e would possibly say that the probability is somewhere between "likely" and "unlikely" but the real answer is that "we don't know".

Anybody who tries to tell you that they do know, probably isn't a scientist.

He's crabbit today, had a wee dig at scunnered for not liking "the SNP" as well. Nothing a good night rest won't sort out.

I'm permacrabbit. I apologize in advance.

edit" Its just a change in me, something in my levity"

Edited by thplinth

This time round he is looking at all the coincidences that have happened to Earth which have allowed intelligent life to evolve. Coupling all of those together it points towards the probability of it happening, somewhere else in the universe, might be unlikely.

Does that not reflect the odds of producing life like us?

It could have happened elsewhere and produced life not like us?

Does that not reflect the odds of producing life like us?

It could have happened elsewhere and produced life not like us?

I think it was supposed to reflect the odds of producing life which would have the ability to invent advanced communication technology. But to be honest I was only kinda half watching it so I could be havering nonsense. I also think (but I could be wrong) that he chose to overlook the fact that even if there are other advanced civilisations out there, they are likely to be so far away that any useful communication would probably not be possible.

Anyway it's all fascinating, the Universe is so large & complex we (humans) won't be closer to finding out about our origins, creation & other lifeforms (intelligent) for a few generations yet (if indeed Mars is dead with no evolutionary history)

Only my thoughts though, there are a few on this thread who clearly know way more about this stuff than me.