2018 Qualification Groupings - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2018 Qualification Groupings

kumnio

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get one of these at Hampden, kidnap the players wives and families and tell them to win or else.

15 Romania

17 Czech Republic

21 Slovakia

22 Tunisia

23 Austriae

25 Greece

26 Ukraine

32 Israel

39 Cape Verde Islands

Might be an idea to kidnap the oppositions wives and tell them to lose or else rather than the other way around

http://www.football-rankings.info/2014/11/2018-fifa-world-cup-seeding-uefa-10000.html

Based on 10,000 simulations:

Pot 1: Germany, Netherlands, Romania, Belgium, Portugal, England, Italy, Czech Republic, Spain

Pot 2: Croatia, Switzerland, Slovakia, France, Israel, Austria, Ukraine, Iceland, Denmark

Pot 3: Wales, Poland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Greece, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Hungary, Slovenia

Pot 4: Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Albania, Montenegro, Turkey, Norway, Finland, Bulgaria, Armenia

P​ot 5: Estonia, Lithuania, FYR Macedonia, Latvia, Belarus, Cyprus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands

Pot 6: Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar

Are the fixtures announced later that day like for the Euros or is back to guessing for months on end till they all get round a table

Sure I read UEFA are continuing the week of football and all the things that go with that into the world cup.... Maybe not on the day this time

Sure I read UEFA are continuing the week of football and all the things that go with that into the world cup.... Maybe not on the day this time

That's not so bad, there was nothing worse than meeting after meeting and not getting anywhere. Least we'll know when and where we are going

That's not so bad, there was nothing worse than meeting after meeting and not getting anywhere. Least we'll know when and where we are going

Agree, I think its been a great success and welcome it to be used for the World Cup fixtures also

Edited by wanderer

In what way has it been a success?

It's fûcking shite!

Granted could use a little bit of tweaking here and there (kick off times could be better) but it's great to have the fixtures done there and then, and in general we got a pretty good hand with what we were dealt.... The stadiums being named after 90 days then named 120 days from the match has come in useful (only the SFA have failed to catch up with it).

I had a lot of doubts at first, but been happy enough with it.

Granted could use a little bit of tweaking here and there (kick off times could be better) but it's great to have the fixtures done there and then, and in general we got a pretty good hand with what we were dealt.... The stadiums being named after 90 days then named 120 days from the match has come in useful (only the SFA have failed to catch up with it).

I had a lot of doubts at first, but been happy enough with it.

I agree that knowing the fixtures is a huge bonus. My only grumble is the Thursday-Sunday, Friday-Monday and so on but that's just one of these things with modern football we'll need to get on with

I agree that knowing the fixtures is a huge bonus. My only grumble is the Thursday-Sunday, Friday-Monday and so on but that's just one of these things with modern football we'll need to get on with

There's actually only 3 "weeks of football" throughout the campaign.

On 4 occasions it's qualifiers only on Fri-Sat-Sun like last week.

Don't mind it tbh. I've enjoyed having a different than usual big game to watch every night...

http://www.football-rankings.info/2014/11/2018-fifa-world-cup-seeding-uefa-10000.html

Based on 10,000 simulations:

Pot 1: Germany, Netherlands, Romania, Belgium, Portugal, England, Italy, Czech Republic, Spain

Pot 2: Croatia, Switzerland, Slovakia, France, Israel, Austria, Ukraine, Iceland, Denmark

Pot 3: Wales, Poland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Greece, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Hungary, Slovenia

Pot 4: Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Albania, Montenegro, Turkey, Norway, Finland, Bulgaria, Armenia

P​ot 5: Estonia, Lithuania, FYR Macedonia, Latvia, Belarus, Cyprus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands

Pot 6: Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar

With a couple of obvious exceptions, there's not a massive gap between pots 2 and 4 there.

In what way has it been a success?

It's fûcking shite!

I was initially dead against it, but because so many teams have a chance of qualifying, I'm quite liking it. For instance, I'd normally have zero interest in Israel v Wales or Northern Ireland v Romania, but because these are genuinely competitive games between teams with a real chance of making the finals, or at least play-offs, I'm looking forward to them.

However, I don't think it'll work nearly as well for WC qualifiers because there are far fewer qualification spots, thus these games become all but meaningless again for everyone except supporters of the countries involved.