Idiots In Our End Last Night - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Idiots In Our End Last Night

andyg83

No I haven't. Plenty of stories across many threads of ugly incidents where Irish fans have been abused by the 'Union Scots' in our support as he euphemistically terms them.

He then keeps dragging in Scots who support Ireland...but were they coining anyone or abusing Irish fans? eh no at least not that I am seeing from the tales on here.

Being pro Ireland is not a crime if that is how you feel. (And frankly reading the comments from many 'nationalists' on here over the years I can more than understand why many do.)

Abusing and attacking Irish fans for simply being Irish however is a crime. Yet he tries to conflate the two. Well off.

charming. Scots who support Ireland for religious reasons are as bad as Scots who hate Ireland for religious reasons, two sides of the same coin. And why you keep bringing nationalists and the referendum into this I have no idea. As you well know, the loyalists were voting NO.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

charming. Scots who support Ireland for religious reasons are as bad as Scots who hate Ireland for religious reasons, two sides of the same coin. And why you keep bringing nationalists and the referendum into this I have no idea. As you well know, the loyalists were voting NO.

I very much doubt Scottish-born people who support Ireland are doing it for "religious reasons". The fault line is ethno-political rather than religious (although religion is sometimes thrown in for good measure). Edited by Charlie Endell

First off I was saying off to his argument but as you pretty much misread everything else this should be no surprise. Second off I never mentioned the referendum, you did. Lastly I was answering various rubbish points he raised in his post talking about Union Scots and Irish Scots so why are you surprised I mention them? Seems like you either have the memory of a goldfish and/ or are being disingenuous to the point you appear willfully stupid.

edit: oh you mean feeling better about No? Yeah he does.

Edited by thplinth

People say they the pro irish Scots and the anti Irish Scots are different sides of the same coin. I am sorry but that is shite.

The reason there are pro irish scots today is because of anti Irish Scots historically (and yes currently). So by equating them as both as bad as each other you deny the historical explanation for why it exists. This is why it is so disgusting (to me at least).

So again look at last night - who was physically and verbally abusing who? Yet this is compared to supporting Ireland and perhaps wearing a celtic top. Why?

Being pro irish is not the same as being anti Irish. Especially not when it was the anti irish Scots bigots who caused these immigrant Irish Scots and their descendants to become and/or remain pro irish.

Blame the victims, call them grief junkies and victim obsessed, plastics...while whitewashing all the reasons out of history.

This thread is depressing and if there's one thing that has been brought home over the last couple of weeks its that we have some amount of pondlife amongst our support.

This. But not just our support, society wide.

Even in the pub here, there was some good natured booing for McGeady but with others you felt it was more than that

Local derbies are always going to throw up this kind of behavior.will be same tues.irish fans are just as bad and after various trips to Ireland I absolutely do not buy into the celtic brotherhood rubbish.

This. But not just our support, society wide.

Even in the pub here, there was some good natured booing for McGeady but with others you felt it was more than that

That is true.

I booed McGeady but can't say I feel any hatred towards him - more disappointed by his decision to play for them.

Life is too short to hate others for trivial reasons like football.

I have a dislike of a few players and teams but I don't think I hate anyone either in or out of football.

I watched the game in a boozer in The Hague and the pub was packed...mostly Irish, quite a few Scots.

There were a group of Irish lads in who were absolute bawbags. Not because they hated Scots, or because they were sectarian bigots, but simply because they were complete d1cks.

Same goes for elements of our support.

I don't blame the whole Irish population because a few of their idiots shouted 'orange bast*rds' at Rangers players in our team 14 years ago.....I think that one or two on here who are trying to drive their own agenda and are using the fact that we have a few erseholes, and because we booed McGeady, as prove that Scotland is inherently anti-Irish....need to think again.

Edited by Rossy

Feel a yes would've helped tbh. Celtic fans would've felt less anti UK/British cause we would no longer be in it they wouldn't feel the need to 'rebel' and the Rangers fans might not be as into it as much

What would it do for the Aberdeen fans? ;)

Edited by Toepoke

I walked to and from Parkhead from the city centre, out by Gallowgate,return by London Road, saw no trouble at all, and came across a lot fewer idiots than I usually encounter on the trains to Mount Florida!

Not been in Celtic Park since Nottingham Forest played Celtic many years ago, but was pleasantly surprised at the experience.

An improvement on the torture of waiting on the train away from Hampden,marching around the blocks!

It was to be fully expected that there would be some unrest and nastiness on Friday. The knuckle draggers on both sides were always going to make sure there was ill feeling lingering around. I think the fact that there was very few instances of bother is a fairly good reflection on both supporters tbh. You can't control everybody, not everyone subscribes to the old pals act and some will go out their way to satisfy an agenda no matter what anyone does about it.

Sad to hear a few incidents of coin throwing and sectarian abuse but i'm not really shocked as games against Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and England will always bring out a few knuckle draggers who probably never attend a game any other time. Didn't see anything myself and all the bars I was in the fans were mixing without issue but no doubt there will have been a few incidents.

Flynnyboy from reading your posts you seem to experience bigotry everywhere you go home or away and throughout Scotland so I would suggest you change your social group, been following Scotland to almost every game since 2003 and can't think of seeing bigotry within the support dislike of the Old Firm Yes bigotry No and in Scotland outside of Old Firm games I have witnessed very little bigotry and most was in Ayrshire and Glasgow not the East Coast or Northern Scotland. Yes it does exist and is something we need rid of but nowhere near the levels you seem to have witnessed.

Few people suggesting we should of given the Irish more tickets, well no they got what was agreed between the SFA and FAI and we will get the same in return in an ideal world we would give them say 10% and they would give us 10% but clearly the SFA and FAI did not agree this so no we shouldn't have given them extra tickets but the SFA should not be actively selling home end tickets to Irish fans. Sure we would be the first to slate the SFA if 10,000 strong Irish section roared their team to victory, we would be claiming the SFA took the money over keeping our home advantage.

Have read some of the Irish comments about the visit on other sites and while there were some incidents of bigotry and some coins thrown which is disgusting and anyone identified as doing so should be banned from football for life but a lot of what I have read claiming to be bigotry was simply not, many claiming Aiden McGeady being booed was bigotry sorry but that is utter rubbish he was being booed for choosing to play for another country nothing more, the other one I have seen often is accusations of bigotry for booing Irish songs in particular the fields of Athenry again this has nothing to do with bigotry away fans songs are often booed at football matches, the fact Ireland had most of the Celtic songbook (was expecting the huddle if they scored) wasn't going to help as the TA and the Glasgow clubs don't exactly have a love in these days England will get the same when they roll out Rangers songs on Tuesday. Its sad that some experienced bigotry in Scotland and I 100% condemn anyone who threw a coin of called an Ireland fan a Fenian but some of the accusations are nothing to do with bigotry and to label it as such is wrong.

I look forward to visiting Dublin again but as a few have mentioned there have been incidents in the past over there as well and the Irish have a minority of arseholes themselves who will no doubt only raise their heads against the other nations on these islands. I personally had a fantastic time in Dublin last time and all the Irish we met were great but I did meet others that had been abused verbally for being British and 1 guy who was refused to be served in a bar as they didn't serve British sadly these small amount of arseholes exist in every country and games like these bring them out. As for the guarantee by an Irish fan that no one will throw a coin at the Scots in Dublin I would of said the same about the Irish until Friday as I have never witnessed this before at Scotland games but I would of been wrong so it is a guarantee you can't make i'm afraid.

I Generally like the Irish, do we have more in common with them than the English? difficult to say but I certainly prefer them to our Southern neighbour. I'm afraid I won't be supporting them if they qualify instead of us as I can't bring myself to cheer on two Scots who have turned their back on their own country especially if it helps Ireland qualify ahead of Scotland.

I watched the game in a boozer in The Hague and the pub was packed...mostly Irish, quite a few Scots.

There were a group of Irish lads in who were absolute bawbags. Not because they hated Scots, or because they were sectarian bigots, but simply because they were complete d1cks.

Same goes for elements of our support.

I don't blame the whole Irish population because a few of their idiots shouted 'orange bast*rds' at Rangers players in our team 14 years ago..... I think that one or two on here who are trying to drive their own agenda and are using the fact that we have a few erseholes, and because we booed McGeady, as prove that Scotland is inherently anti-Irish....need to think again.

I don't think anyone on here has that agenda.