Idiots In Our End Last Night - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Idiots In Our End Last Night

andyg83

I'm not surprised at the Irish boys getting problems. There is a clear and distinct fear/hatred of Catholicism in scotland. And that has clearly shown its self on Friday. It also showed itself in the referendum when if you scratched beneath the surface of many no voters it came down to that.

It's a disgrace that visitng people to our country are subjected to what clearly went on, albeit by a very small minority. I have stopped going to away games because of the behaviour and attitude of some of our support. It has been on a drastic gradual decline in the last 10 years or so.

Edited to say I'm not a catholic in any way at all and it's my own observations, worrying observations.

Edited by flynnyboy

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised at the Irish boys getting problems. There is a clear and distinct fear/hatred of Catholicism in scotland. And that has clearly shown its self on Friday. It also showed itself in the referendum when if you scratched beneath the surface of many no voters it came down to that.

It's a disgrace that visitng people to our country are subjected to what clearly went on, albeit by a very small minority. I have stopped going to away games because of the behaviour and attitude of some of our support. It has been on a drastic gradual decline in the last 10 years or so.

Eh wit?? Hahaha. Pish.

Sorry to hear that some Irish lads got subjected to some abuse last night. Very disappointing to hear this.

Would hope that the bampots calling the Irish boys 'fenians' etc were told in no uncertain terms to fukin button it.

Looking forward to Dublin next year. Very much so. Been twice and were shown nothing but terrific hospitality by the locals. Would have no fears about going into the home end next year if I can't get an official SSC brief.

Maybe in the West Coast but religion makes absolutely no difference to the vast vast majority of the rest of us.

I wonder if the bawbaggery is result of a lot of members refusing to pay SFA prices, which opens the door for clowns to turn up with the baggage of club football. I have also noticed an element of twats appearing at other games.I remember folk arguing with a guy last year who refused to stand for our national anthem cos he didnt like who was singing. He then racially abused black couple standing next to him. I prefer away games cos the arsehole ratio is less.....

Edited by ronaldhinos dentist

Edited to say I'm not a catholic in any way at all and it's my own observations, worrying observations.

Throughout the whole game last night and everything that's been discussed today, that is the first time the word catholic has even entered my mindset. Can't agree with that.

Maybe in the West Coast but religion makes absolutely no difference to the vast vast majority of the rest of us.

True to an extent but some of the most vile sectarian behaviour I've witnessed has came from non west coasters. There is a huge issue throughout scotland.

As I said on an other thread the Irish lads were FAR from blameless in the skirmishes I seen. A few of them play the persecuted victim part very well I must say. That said the vast majority were top top lads and were a credit to their country.

Coin throwing, sectarian abuse etc is really poor though, no time for that. Again all I can say is that it's no way consistent with our normal behaviour as a support and hopefully it didn't ruin the trip for anyone.

Sorry to hear that some Irish lads got subjected to some abuse last night. Very disappointing to hear this.

Would hope that the bampots calling the Irish boys 'fenians' etc were told in no uncertain terms to fukin button it.

Looking forward to Dublin next year. Very much so. Been twice and were shown nothing but terrific hospitality by the locals. Would have no fears about going into the home end next year if I can't get an official SSC brief.

Good point

You going go over there THERE AND KISS AS.

Maybe you will.

You're having a laugh are you not ??

We've always had dickheads in our support, but to suggest that the bawbaggery has anything to do with 'anti Catholic' behaviour is so wide of the mark it's getting close to insanity.

I heard Ferguson and McCann being called 'orange bast*rds' In Dublin. Does that mean that the whole Irish support is anti-protestant ?

:blink::blink:

Throughout the whole game last night and everything that's been discussed today, that is the first time the word catholic has even entered my mindset. Can't agree with that.

Again for you that is the case. That is to your credit. There are too many that it an issue to.

Sat in the Lisbon Lions upper until i found my seat was duplicated, moved out of my seat to save any bother.

Stood behind a steward on the staircase and had to listen to two Irish fans singing a song about Mclean who wont sing god save the queen etc.

Thought that was quite funny until the ended it with words along the line of murdering bastards.

Don't know if they were Irish or Scottish Celtic fans but without giving a full opinion its just very sad..

True to an extent but some of the most vile sectarian behaviour I've witnessed has came from non west coasters. There is a huge issue throughout scotland.

You and I must live in parallel universes. I don't deny that sectarianism exists in Scotland. But I seldom see it. Home or away.

Same here - hospitality was superb on the two occasions I've watched Scotland in Dublin.

It's depressing to hear some of the pish that happened last night, but I can't say I'm surprised. Glad I just watched it in the Park Bar.

Just cannot agree with this at all. There is undoubtedly an element of it in some quarters but I think in general, commitments to and attitudes towards religion are on a serious decline in Scotland. By that I mean most folk don't give a monkeys one way or the other.......and again m8 I'm only basing that on my own experiences. Perhaps where you live it's more of an issue but it's certainly not something that has ever worried me or anyone I know.

Edited by Angus_Young

You're having a laugh are you not ??

We've always had dickheads in our support, but to suggest that the bawbaggery has anything to do with 'anti Catholic' behaviour is so wide of the mark it's getting close to insanity.

I heard Ferguson and McCann being called 'orange bast*rds' In Dublin. Does that mean that the whole Irish support is anti-protestant ?

:blink::blink:

Not at all. It's no laughing matter. I said scotland as a country not the Scotland support. It is a massive issue that has manifested itself with many I've had the displeasure to encounter whilst at scotland games home and away.

For the record it has been a small minority but it is there. In general those who support our country's football team shun all that nonsense. But I'm not surprised it happened for reasons previously stated. It's a slight on our nation and something that needs eradicated.

As I said on an other thread the Irish lads were FAR from blameless in the skirmishes I seen. A few of them play the persecuted victim part very well I must say. That said the vast majority were top top lads and were a credit to their country.

Coin throwing, sectarian abuse etc is really poor though, no time for that. Again all I can say is that it's no way consistent with our normal behaviour as a support and hopefully it didn't ruin the trip for anyone.

what were the Irish lads doing? Not doubting your word just curious?

Had no problems myself. Great craic in crystal bells bar before the game with a coach load of Arbroath lads

Well that's not true.

I disagree. Glasgow and Edinburgh have huge problems with it. The western isles also. Even up in the far north the Presbyterian views manifest in anti Catholicism. By saying it's not a problem for our nation is blinkered.

It is the sole reason for the football legislation that was brought in by the snp as it seems to be a vehicle to manifest bigoted views.

You think? I don't. I live in one the worlds most sectarian cities and see it on a daily basis. I've also witnessed it on several away trips and many home games.

You live in Glasgow? And you witness sectarianism on a daily basis? That's some going. I also live in Glasgow and haven't personally witnessed any sectarian behaviour or abuse for years. Maybe it's the people you mix with?

It infuriates me that sectarianism is still a huge issue in our game, it angers me even further that people bring their club attitudes to the national side, I heard a Scotland fan call refer to Naisy as a 'wee turncoat ' , what kind of support is that?

For what it's worth i'm a Celtic fan, but i completely forget about which team a player plays for when he pulls on a Scotland shirt. Unfortunately some people seem unable to let go of their club agendas.

I'm very disappointed to hear of coin throwing and verbal abuse etc, i can guarantee that the majority of the Scotland support will treat you with a friendly attitude, but it's worrying that the number of idiots attending our games seems to be on the rise. I'm not in anyway condoning the coin throwing and abuse, but i think in a game of this magnitude, with all at stake and the Mcgeady factor (which seemed to raise aggression levels, perhaps understandably) and with the atmosphere in the stadium, with away fans mixing in the Scotland end , there was always going to be a bit of

tension in the stands.

It saddens me that some people had a negative experience in Glasgow , however i hope the vast majority were welcomed with open arms, i'm very much looking forward to coming over to Dublin, where i expect the atmosphere to be good natured.

No its not.

In over 40 years of living in Angus I never witnessed or heard of a single incident caused by religion.

You do realise that in many places there are no separate secondary schools and that we all get on just fine ?