3Rd Place - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3Rd Place

macy37

At the moment, Poland are favourites to finish 2nd being unbeaten so far and getting a vital win away to Georgia. However, we are favourites to finish 3rd and we can get 9 points from the next 3 games, 3rd should be wrapped up and the game against Poland will decide 2nd. There's a good chance we will need to win but if Poland drop points against Ireland we might only need a low-scoring draw. Not sure 3rd is something to be too happy with as there will be some good teams in the playoffs, I guess best-placed 3rd team isn't out of the question.

Also, it isn't really fair to criticise Lewandowski's international goalscoring rate. We don't have any prolific strikers.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know and one of the main strengths of this current team, is that Strachan has us set up to get goals from midfield, however you can't argue that Lewandowski isn't a great striker or not prolific enough.

Not denying it but one great striker does not equate to a world class side is my point. Look back a few years to Ukraine and they had a similar striker in their side in the form of Shevchenko but it didn't stop us beating them comfortably at home did it?

5/4 to Qualify

11/8 for Ireland

Pretty much somes it up. I.e f all in it

I would certainly give us the edge over Ireland as that win (at present) means Ireland can't qualify ahead of us to level points (because of head to head) plus they have played Gibraltar once we haven't and they have yet to go to Poland unlike us.

We should still be realistically aiming for 2nd and qualifying automatically. Best chance we've had since 2007.

Other results may go for or against as but if we do the business against Gib twice and Georgia, then with 2 home matches and an away match to Ireland (potentially easier match than Ger or Pol away) then we should be pushing for 2nd.

If we manage to win in Dublin then pressure is off for Georgia match a bit.

Other results have not gone our way so far. Here's hoping a couple might!

In which case Ireland will be out of it.

I was disappointed that we didn't beat Poland over there - I wasn't impressed with them but haven't seen their other games to be fair.

Ive been/seen a few Poland games and i dont think they are that great, i said to folk before minimum draw there and beat them at home...I also watched Ireland away in Georgia and they werent that great but did enough for 3 points

I was confident we would beat Poland i have a bet on with a Pole in the office for a bottle of Grey Goose vodka that Lewandowski wouldnt score in either game. one down :)

I would certainly give us the edge over Ireland as that win (at present) means Ireland can't qualify ahead of us to level points (because of head to head) plus they have played Gibraltar once we haven't and they have yet to go to Poland unlike us.

If Ireland beat us by 2 goals, they will top us in the head to head. But our clean sheet at home to Ireland and our 2 goals in Poland might be significant

I must say I am taken aback by the oozing of confidence from our fans on here.

I would still take 3rd place any day of the week.

Fail to believe that Germany will not come out from their relative slumber, Poland look a better side than us and we look better than Ireland but they have recorded 2 big results in Georgia away and Germany away. Yes we have just beaten them but I just cannot see us going away to Dublin and Tiblisi and getting any more than 2 points.

All still to play for but it'll be mighty tough for us to get 2nd or even 3rd. We must stay away from injuries and suspensions to give us a real,real chance.

End of the day, finishing 3rd and chancing in the play off's is not the end of the universe, as it will hardly be the cream of the crop we can draw (will be the likes of your Bulgaria's, Norway's, Austria's etc.... With maybe a team like Lithuania or Iceland creeping in.... Basically nobody we should fear anything against)

All still to play for but it'll be mighty tough for us to get 2nd or even 3rd. We must stay away from injuries and suspensions to give us a real,real chance.

I'd agree it will be tough for us to get 2nd considering the start Poland have made and the fact we all expect Germany to get their act together but it is stretching it way too far to say it will be tough for us to get even third. At present that looks like it may be between us and Ireland and just now the advantage lies with us because:-

A. We have a positive head-to-head over them now (at present).

B. We have got two of the toughest fixtures out of the way - away to Germany and Poland (unlike Ireland).

C. Ireland have played Gibraltar (unlike us).

D. Surely, that defeat is a dent to Irish confidence and momentum and a boost for us.

Can you find the same positives just now for Ireland?

I must say I am taken aback by the oozing of confidence from our fans on here.

I would still take 3rd place any day of the week.

Fail to believe that Germany will not come out from their relative slumber, Poland look a better side than us and we look better than Ireland but they have recorded 2 big results in Georgia away and Germany away. Yes we have just beaten them but I just cannot see us going away to Dublin and Tiblisi and getting any more than 2 points.

We will win in Dublin and Tbilisi , guarantee it