3Rd Place - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3Rd Place

macy37

Definitely won't be intimidated by them. But they are a good side and look to be fulfilling their potential this campaign. Still don't think they will have it all their own way in both games against the Irish and need to play us and germany away

We are also fulfilling our potential at the moment.

Worst case scenario: Poland beat Ireland twice. I would concede the top 2 spots to Germany and Poland at that point. However, silver lining, it would pretty much guarantee us 3rd place.

But other than that, I will be hopeful of at least a 2nd place finish until it is mathematically impossible.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are also fulfilling our potential at the moment.

Worst case scenario: Poland beat Ireland twice. I would concede the top 2 spots to Germany and Poland at that point. However, silver lining, it would pretty much guarantee us 3rd place.

But other than that, I will be hopeful of at least a 2nd place finish until it is mathematically impossible.

And more. Strachan is getting the best out of us but still think there is more to come, especially up front.

I suspect the Poland at Hampden game will go a long way to determine were we finish.

I don't believe we should just be aiming to settle for third. Poland have started exceptionally well but can see their luck running out at some point and Ireland, although we're poor against us, are more than capable of getting a result against them, preferably two draws, and we can beat them at Hampden.

No way we should shoot for third – guaranteed way to fail. We're good enough to get second if we produce strong home performances and take good away results like the Poland one. Remember, this is only the start – in theory we should get better the more this group of players are together – the best will follow.

Is it right that head to head results are used for teams level on points?

If so does it go down away goals too? i.e. would a 1-0 win v Germany for us see us do them on the head to head?

Yes. Head to head for UEFA competition.

Is it right that head to head results are used for teams level on points?

If so does it go down away goals too? i.e. would a 1-0 win v Germany for us see us do them on the head to head?

Yes. So we also have 2 away goals vs Poland if we ended up drawing with them at home.

Clean sheet at home and 3 points against Ireland. At present, we are looking pretty good if it comes down to head to heads with our rivals.

Poland will know this when they play us. They won't settle for a low scoring draw. Which means they will be more open at the back and we'll be able to utilise Anya more in that game.

What are Poland like as regard strength in depth? I seems that they rely on a pretty small core of outstanding players and any change in that could see a dip in their current form.

Anyone else a bit more clued up on their squad?

We havn`t had that depth of squad for years tbh.

For example: we still play without Blaszczykowski, a massive player for as everybody know, but his replacement: Grosicki, Sobota, Peszko or young guys starting their national team adventure: Zyro and Kosecki play very well and all of them can start any game.

Milik- 20 years old. He scored in third consecutive game for Poland. Already marked as "another Lewandowski".

Sebastian Mila- great comeback after many years out of squad, fantastic goals vs Germany and Georgia.

Another young "no names" like Maczynski (scored first vs Scotland), Linetty (both Manchester and Madrit teams interested in him) or

Jedrzejczyk. One or two years ago nobody heard abouth them and now the`re becoming regulars.

We`ve got more and more players playing in good European sides and coach Nawalka has plenty options in any formation at the moment.

"We should not be intimidated by Poland. They should fear us, which they do!"

No we don`t. We rescpect you and we won`t disregard your team in any department. We fear nobody he he.

"Poland have started exceptionally well but can see their luck running out at some point"

2:0 vs Germany, 4:0 vs Georgia away, 7:0 vs Gibraltar and 2:2 vs Scotland with few excellent oportunities at the and of the game. In which of those games we were lucky exactly?

We may speculate and write scenarios again and after every matchday there will be plenty of it but one thing is pretty clear at the moment. If we win in Dublin in March we can start packing for France and Ireland is more or less out of competition. So massive massive game for Boys in Green :)

Great group as many lads in here mentioned.

They word 'luck' has been mentioned a lot recently. Firmly believe that you make your own luck in football.

- Og against Goergia

- they miss an excellent chance with 10 mins left

- Poland hit the post in the last 10 mins against us

- Ireland hit the bar in the last minute

7 points become 2

I don't think we've been 'lucky' with the above. It's part of the game. We've earned those 7 points. Just like Poland and Ireland who've earned all their points.

We havn`t had that depth of squad for years tbh.

For example: we still play without Blaszczykowski, a massive player for as everybody know, but his replacement: Grosicki, Sobota, Peszko or young guys starting their national team adventure: Zyro and Kosecki play very well and all of them can start any game.

Milik- 20 years old. He scored in third consecutive game for Poland. Already marked as "another Lewandowski".

Sebastian Mila- great comeback after many years out of squad, fantastic goals vs Germany and Georgia.

Another young "no names" like Maczynski (scored first vs Scotland), Linetty (both Manchester and Madrit teams interested in him) or

Jedrzejczyk. One or two years ago nobody heard abouth them and now the`re becoming regulars.

We`ve got more and more players playing in good European sides and coach Nawalka has plenty options in any formation at the moment.

"We should not be intimidated by Poland. They should fear us, which they do!"

No we don`t. We rescpect you and we won`t disregard your team in any department. We fear nobody he he.

"Poland have started exceptionally well but can see their luck running out at some point"

2:0 vs Germany, 4:0 vs Georgia away, 7:0 vs Gibraltar and 2:2 vs Scotland with few excellent oportunities at the and of the game. In which of those games we were lucky exactly?

We may speculate and write scenarios again and after every matchday there will be plenty of it but one thing is pretty clear at the moment. If we win in Dublin in March we can start packing for France and Ireland is more or less out of competition. So massive massive game for Boys in Green :)

Great group as many lads in here mentioned.

Just because players play for or are interesting big clubs means nothing. Look at Lewandowski - he has hardly sparkled for Poland has he? Same goes for us. In the past we had players playing for Liverpool when they ruled European football - players like Hansen and Nicol but they never sparkled for Scotland though they starred for Liverpool. McAllister was at Liverpool but was never destined to be a fans favourite for Scotland. The same could be said today. Charlie Adam has played for Liverpool and is a regular in Stoke's side (EPL team) but flopped for Scotland whereas Anya (yet to play in the EPL) has been a revelation for us. So you see where a player plays does not mean they are some sort of wonderful international player.

A crum of comfort as we draw a must win game.

Just think some of us need a reality check when describing Poland and Ireland as lucky

Eh?

If you are awarding Ireland a goal when they hit the bar then you do the same for us so we would have won 2-1. I cannot see how Poland can be described as lucky although they rode it V Germany if you look at the stats. Germany had something like 35 shots on goals and Poland had five I think and scored twice. But that aside they haven't had any noticable luck. As for Ireland they have scored late goals but I wouldn't equate it to luck just that they have been in contention in their games until the end and by scoring have reaped the rewards.

Eh?

If you are awarding Ireland a goal when they hit the bar then you do the same for us so we would have won 2-1. I cannot see how Poland can be described as lucky although they rode it V Germany if you look at the stats. Germany had something like 35 shots on goals and Poland had five I think and scored twice. But that aside they haven't had any noticable luck. As for Ireland they have scored late goals but I wouldn't equate it to luck just that they have been in contention in their games until the end and by scoring have reaped the rewards.

You can't give us both 'goals' from the bar shot and the resulting corner

You can't give us both 'goals' from the bar shot and the resulting corner

Okay can we look at it from the Irish viewpoint?

Betsy (I believe it was) countered calls that Ireland were lucky with a late goal V Georgia by saying it was won with a great goal of great skill and merited a winner. Well I'd say Maloney's goal certainly falls into that category so we can make the same claim against any claim of luck on our behalf.

"Look at Lewandowski - he has hardly sparkled for Poland has he?"

He played excellent vs Germany and Georgia. Didn`t score but assisted and made a lot of good hard job in the middle of the park. Scotland game don`t count as he played 80 mins with hole in the leg thanks to sublime touch by Greer.

His ability to create space, oportunity, to tied 2 or 3 players and play ball to better positioned collegue is world class (second goal vs Germany is perfect example) All our opponents are giving him 2 or 3 players to cover and that`s why he isn`t scoring that much. It`s somehow dissapointing of course but when he add goals to his great playmaking abilities than well... ;)

"Look at Lewandowski - he has hardly sparkled for Poland has he?"

He played excellent vs Germany and Georgia. Didn`t score but assisted and made a lot of good hard job in the middle of the park. Scotland game don`t count as he played 80 mins with hole in the leg thanks to sublime touch by Greer.

His ability to create space, oportunity, to tied 2 or 3 players and play ball to better positioned collegue is world class (second goal vs Germany is perfect example) All our opponents are giving him 2 or 3 players to cover and that`s why he isn`t scoring that much. It`s somehow dissapointing of course but when he add goals to his great playmaking abilities than well... ;)

Not arguing he isn't a class act but my point is don't judge players qualities by who they play for or have played for. That is very misleading.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Okay can we look at it from the Irish viewpoint?

Betsy (I believe it was) countered calls that Ireland were lucky with a late goal V Georgia by saying it was won with a great goal of great skill and merited a winner. Well I'd say Maloney's goal certainly falls into that category so we can make the same claim against any claim of luck on our behalf.

I'm not saying that goal was lucky. I think my point about luck is being lost or I'm not making it very well