Philip Bardsley - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Philip Bardsley

Robroysboy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baws. It's the Scotland NATIONAL side if you hadn't noticed. England have their own version, for their own players. It is ENTIRELY understandable for us to expect our NATIONAL side not to have players in it who would rather be playing for England.

Bardsley has been playing for Scotland for years so I doubt you getting all upset at them mention of his name is going to make Strachan drop him. It's just boring

Of course I can't do anything about it, doesn't mean I am not entitled to my opinion on it. The guy said he'd rather play for England, I assume because he's English? IMO it's a pishtake.

If it bores you, read something else... I won't change my opinion that I think that players should represent their own countries.

Bardsley has been playing for Scotland for years so I doubt you getting all upset at them mention of his name is going to make Strachan drop him. It's just boring

So boring that you always have to get involved in a discussion on it.

Under Levein and Craig Brown I got the impression they rated journeymen 'English' p[layers better than Scottish options almost instinctively. I don't get that vibe off Strachan and I think this amounts to a street wise approach to selection rather than the obvious self loathing of someone who fills the team with dubious Scots.

Under Levein and Craig Brown I got the impression they rated journeymen 'English' p[layers better than Scottish options almost instinctively. I don't get that vibe off Strachan and I think this amounts to a street wise approach to selection rather than the obvious self loathing of someone who fills the team with dubious Scots.

Vogts took the pish out of it for me with Devlin, Stockdale, Quashie and Dobie. Tommy Miller was another one he got to declare for Scotland but he never got capped. Vogts even asked Alan Thompson if he had a Scottish granny, seriously !

Chris Martin is a bit dubious but agree that it appears to happen less under Strachan. Although I get the impression that Strachan, like others will cap anyone who is eligible and will improve the team.

Vogts took the pish out of it for me with Devlin, Stockdale, Quashie and Dobie. Tommy Miller was another one he got to declare for Scotland but he never got capped. Vogts even asked Alan Thompson if he had a Scottish granny, seriously !

Devlin doesn't fall into that category. 100% Scottish ancestry and never wanted to play for anyone else.

True.... But same time, there was nobody really there to call up or say they were keeping out the team, and was just a sign of how desperate we were at the time.

Devlin looked useful at first, but just disappeared as fast as he showed up... Dobie and Stockdale came with alright club backgrounds, but proved to be duds who were not good enough (but again, was not a case of keeping anyone out the team, just we were that desperate) and Quashie was actually a good stop gap who added some beef to our midfield that had been missing, but as soon as Scott Brown got into the team his days we're numbered.

I'd give Berti credit for giving quite a few young players a game. He still made some daft decisions.

Neither were great players but Dougie Freedman and Robbie Winters (when he was playing in Norway for Brann) should really have been given a few of chances under Vogts to show what they could do. Both were at least small improvements on Crawford, Thompson and Kyle anyway.

Always thought Barry Nicholson would have been a decent option for us in midfield rather than some of the dross Vogts picked for us in that area.

Just my personal opinion but I always thought Paul Gallacher was a marginally better keeper than Rab Douglas. Obviously though, the Glasgow press would have went ballistic if he'd picked a Dundee Utd player instead of any Old Firm player.

Anyway, those days are past now. And let's hope that in the past they bloody well remain !! :sing:

True.... But same time, there was nobody really there to call up or say they were keeping out the team, and was just a sign of how desperate we were at the time.

Devlin looked useful at first, but just disappeared as fast as he showed up... Dobie and Stockdale came with alright club backgrounds, but proved to be duds who were not good enough (but again, was not a case of keeping anyone out the team, just we were that desperate) and Quashie was actually a good stop gap who added some beef to our midfield that had been missing, but as soon as Scott Brown got into the team his days we're numbered.

Quashie was one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Scotland jersey. Total joke.

Quashie was one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Scotland jersey. Total joke.

Was not Souness or McStay, and his introduction is very cringeworthy to look back on now, but put in a couple of good performances (Austria, Italy twice, Slovenia) and as I said, good stop gap between Lambert retiring and Brown being ready.

Out of all of Berties finds he was probably one of the more better ones....

Edited by wanderer

I'd give Berti credit for giving quite a few young players a game. He still made some daft decisions.

Neither were great players but Dougie Freedman and Robbie Winters (when he was playing in Norway for Brann) should really have been given a few of chances under Vogts to show what they could do. Both were at least small improvements on Crawford, Thompson and Kyle anyway.

Always thought Barry Nicholson would have been a decent option for us in midfield rather than some of the dross Vogts picked for us in that area.

Just my personal opinion but I always thought Paul Gallacher was a marginally better keeper than Rab Douglas. Obviously though, the Glasgow press would have went ballistic if he'd picked a Dundee Utd player instead of any Old Firm player.

Anyway, those days are past now. And let's hope that in the past they bloody well remain !! :sing:

I recall Freedman playing in Paris and he was way out of his depth.

Mind you so was everybody that night, except Paul Lambert.

Did he not nearly score within the first couple of seconds of the game when he caught the goalkeeper off his line and had a long range shot which the keeper scuffed and only just kept out?

Have to say, he was one of these guys from a distance you thought could easily do a job for us, and yet put him in a scotland shirt it was like "is that the same guy????"

To be fair, it was France we were playing and they had a great team back then ! Plus one bad game doesn't make a bad player. Freedman only got two caps so he hardly got the time to show what he could do.

Always maintain it was a real mistake of Berti's to ignore Robbie Winters when he was a Brann player. Hardly a world beater, but would surely have offered a wee bit more on the park than Stevie feckin Crawford anyway.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

I don't get this "give berti credit for bringin in the youngster" pash, is that not what any half decent manager should have been doing anyways!?

Not really.... How many youngsters did Brown give a chance? To him guys in their mid 20's "had potential" and were ones "for the future" with probably Barry Ferguson really the only one to break into his team (would he have called up 18-20 year olds like Faddy, Fletch and Gordon to chuck straight in at the deep end?).

Thankfully this has got better and better since then