Squad For Ireland And England Games - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Ireland And England Games

wanderer

He's a Sunderland reserve. No way do i believe he's a better option than Jack.

Ross McCormack cost £11million, Rhodes about £10million. Yet neither are in the squad. Just because English teams pay stupid money for average players, it doesn't mean they are great.

Langfield is nowhere near good enough for international level.

Jack is the only Aberdeen player who deserves to be in the squad IMO. I'm doubtful as to whether Reynolds is good enough for International level.

As a Dons fan, I'd agree with that. Reynolds has looked shaky at times without Anderson which makes me doubt whether he could handle the International step up.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't McLeod single handedly knock a top division team out of the league cup last week ?

*innocent face"

Still if he comes on as a sub will give the haters someone to boo.

What a ridiculous thing to say, nobody would boo him! People, myself included, do not believe that he is ready yet to Grace the international stage.

If he is included for strachan to get a closer look at him, fair enough. He will be nowhere near the pitch in these 2 games, like gauld last month...

What a ridiculous thing to say, nobody would boo him! People, myself included, do not believe that he is ready yet to Grace the international stage.

If he is included for strachan to get a closer look at him, fair enough. He will be nowhere near the pitch in these 2 games, like gauld last month...

Because the England games is a friendly, he probably has a better chance of getting some minutes, but there will be 15 others that will probably be more likely to get off the bench.

Stevie May will likely get a chance against England, near the end. Would be nice to see him on the pitch as he is probably going to be around the team for years to come.

Here's a breakdown of goal scorers:

Christophe Berra a goal every 14

Grant Hanley a goal every 15
Ikechi Anya a goal every 4.5
Scott Brown a goal every 10
Chris Burke a goal every 3.5
Darren Fletcher a goal every 12.8
Shaun Maloney a goal every 11.6667
James McArthur a goal every 17
James Morrison a goal every 11.3333
Charlie Mulgrew a goal every 7
Steven Fletcher a goal every 17
Steven Naismith a goal every 8
Based on that, most likely to score is Anya, then Mulgrew, then Naismith...

All rather meaningless stats in the present climate.

If results weren't coming and performances were rank rotten then yes these stats could mean something. However, we have lost one match (against the World Champions) in the last year and a quarter so evidently this stat is not stopping us getting results and playing very well. Also, what if we had a prolific goalscorer in our squad at international level? It ensures nothing. Kenny Miller was very prolific by Scotland's standards yet fans on here lambasted him and the team struggled.

MacLeod isn't a forward. His best position is centre mid although he's played a lot for us out on the left.

The fact that you (somewhat hilariously) think he's a forward tells me you don't know enough about the kid to make an informed decision.

He has ability in every attribute he could possibly need, terrific prospect.

Whatever his position I watched rangers last time they were on the TV and they didn't look up to much and he certainly wasn't anything special. Even if it is with a view to the future there are far more deserving players playing at a better level.

OK...there are several points there.

Firstly, anyone with sense knows that 'Lewis' is just there to learn, not to play. Strachan does this with every squad to get youngsters feel like they're involved. Good on him.

Secondly...and on the other hand... it's a wee bit hard to blame people for their reaction. We've had a decade or more on here of OF youngsters being touted as the greatest thing ever, only to find out that they actually we'ren't all that great after all.

Strachan sees potential in 'Lewis', so he's giving him a small taste of the big time. However, and this is unfortunately undeniable, 'Lewis' has hardly played a competitive game worth its name in his whole career at Rangers. He's wholely untested at any real level of the game.

Some of the criticism of his inclusion is over the top, but so is some of the hyperbole from Rangers fans on here.

Yes I fully understand he is there to learn and get a bit of experience, that's fine but people on here are just not wanting him involved simply because he is a 'The Rangers' player.

Whatever his position I watched rangers last time they were on the TV and they didn't look up to much and he certainly wasn't anything special. Even if it is with a view to the future there are far more deserving players playing at a better level.

So he didn't perform well in one game?

Yes I fully understand he is there to learn and get a bit of experience, that's fine but people on here are just not wanting him involved simply because he is a 'The Rangers' player.

I would agree some here have the sentiment of not wanting there because he is a Rangers player but also a proportion would sooner see one of their own club's highly-rated youngster getting a chance or someone from a top flight club get a chance first.

I dont see the problem in bringing a couple of the better players from the under 21 squad along for a bit of experience who strachan feels are going to be important players in the future.

I remember when being called up to the Scotland squad was a hard earned honour. As opposed to now where it appears to be the football equivalent of 'take your daughter to work' day.

True, I made myself look a clown, I didnt see Bryson in there, but Mcleod? Burke?

There are more deserving players than these two. I honestly cant believe Russell, Arfield, Adam, Rhodes, Cairney, Bridcutt have been overlooked for Mcleod and Burke. As someone recently posted, the ROI game is a must win and we should have the strongest possible squad available without bringing guys in just for experience imo

Burke shouldn't be there. He's mince. Always has been.

All of the others barring Arfield aren't good enough or have had their chance and failed (I'm talking to you Adam!). Rhodes isn't a natural fit for our style of play so doesn't get picked which is right.

Mcleod deserves a chance like Gauld because they both fit Strachans style.

You don't know what he looks like or where he plays but have decided on the basis of one game you saw he isn't good enough.

You're no Bamber Gascoigne are you?

You don't know what he looks like or where he plays but have decided on the basis of one game you saw he isn't good enough.

He's not good enough because he plays for The Rangers.

Really happy to see another potential future Scotland player get a chance to link up with the squad. From what I've seen of Macleod he certainly has potential to continue progressing, absolutely deserving of a callup with his club form.

Doubt he will see the pitch but good luck to him if and when he does pull on the strip and earn his first cap.

Who gives a what he looks like? Ive said it already but there are better players at a better levek who deserve a chance ahead of him.