The Media And Jim Murphy - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Media And Jim Murphy

Hot on their heels of the propaganda and manipulation of the truth during the referendum, anyone else notice how the media seem to be 'creating the agenda' for Murphy in the last few days ?

it's almost as if they're working with him in his bid to be NorthBrit Labour leader.

The other candidates have been marginalised.

Maybe it's just me, but since the referendum I'm noticing so many examples of the media creating the news that they want, and not just reporting factual events.

It's been a real eye-opener.

On radio 4 this morning, Home Counties Tory sounding folk taking about Murphy adding 'real weight' to Labour and how polls in favour of SNP suggest Scotland might remain relevant to UK politics despite the outcome of the 'Scottish' referendum.

Now I like a bit of radio 4 but their target really is a foreign country. To me, Scotland is always relevant in elections that we get a vote on! And when there is a referendum to get out of Europe, will the BBC call it the 'UK' referendum? No, they'll call it the EU referendum.

On radio 4 this morning, Home Counties Tory sounding folk taking about Murphy adding 'real weight' to Labour and how polls in favour of SNP suggest Scotland might remain relevant to UK politics despite the outcome of the 'Scottish' referendum.

Interesting that the major Unions in Scotland are giving their support to Neil Findlay as they've never trusted Murphy. I wonder as well how many Labour members in Scotland would prefer Findlay or Boyack.

Murphy though, is the chosen candidate of Westminster and the London media, and is effectively being supported by the Better Together campaign.

I think he's a detestable, London controlled turd....but I'm interested in the media propaganda in action here, basically doing Murphy's campaigning for him.

Edited by Rossy

It's not just you, seems to be a real murphy love in going on.

I'd say kudos to Murphy. He's clearly got a media strategy - including pals in the media - that he's using effectively.

If you're in the democracy game and you have zero control of the media you'll struggle to get your message over to the electorate, which if the posts on this thread are to be believed the Yes camp are only just waking up to.

Thing is, Rossy, have the unions not been neutered in the Labour movement somewhat since the introduction of 'one member, one vote' by John Smith?

Will be interesting though. If the majority of members in Scotland prefer Boyack or Findlay but Miliband and his cronies parachute in Murphy then it will neatly sum up the utter contempt the metropolitan mob have for their membership north of the border. I wonder if that would turn more dis-satisfied Labour members to the SNP on top of the 83,000?

Speaking of the media, what the phüq was Alex doing parading about the Daily Labour / Sunday Mail offices? I could understand if he dropped his kegs and did a big shite, but the cheery grin was out of order. This mob effectively cost us victory.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...

Thing is, Rossy, have the unions not been neutered in the Labour movement somewhat since the introduction of 'one member, one vote' by John Smith?

It’s not One Member One Vote for the Scottish leader election – it’s still one third parliamentarians, one third unions, and one third members. Which still means an MSP or MP who’s a party member and union member could bag three votes.

Hot on their heels of the propaganda and manipulation of the truth during the referendum, anyone else notice how the media seem to be 'creating the agenda' for Murphy in the last few days ?

it's almost as if they're working with him in his bid to be NorthBrit Labour leader.

The other candidates have been marginalised.

Today’s Sunday Herald piece on Murphy ended by quoting one Labour MP saying that if Murphy won the contest Labour “were f*cked”.

The SH is in no way supportive of Murphy, and yet it gave him big coverage, three large photos. The other candidates got much less coverage. He’s a canny operator when it comes to the media. I guess someone whose career is built on promoting himself needs to be.

Its not One Member One Vote for the Scottish leader election its still one third parliamentarians, one third unions, and one third members. Which still means an MSP or MP whos a party member and union member could bag three votes.

Amusingly also an SNP member who is in an affiliated union can also get a vote - who would you choose? Is it better to have Murphy centre stage fecking things up, or Murphy behind the scenes, fecking things up for Findlay/Boyack?

Amusingly also an SNP member who is in an affiliated union can also get a vote - who would you choose? Is it better to have Murphy centre stage fecking things up, or Murphy behind the scenes, fecking things up for Findlay/Boyack?

Is it not only if you pay the Labour levy? If any SNP voter / member does that, they should be booted in the bawz.

Is it not only if you pay the Labour levy? If any SNP voter / member does that, they should be booted in the bawz.

Pete Wishart tweeted that as he was in a musicians union, that he'd have a vote!

It will be interesting to see how the unions backing Findlay react if Murphy is elected leader, especially if the union vote against him. Do they continue to accept their interests (supposedly) being represented by an unabshed right-winger, or do they cut their ties with Labour altogether?

If there is anything Jim Murphy deserves it is to be trumpeted by the media, as is happening now, as the "favourite" and "shoo in" and to lose the contest

If he does win with the backing of Alexander and Darling and the whole BT campaign then it will be the final nail in Labour's coffin because they just dont get it

Either way it's a win win and ive got plenty of popcorn supplies to enjoy it