Gibraltar and Finland Squad Watch - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gibraltar and Finland Squad Watch

N4Footsoldier

2 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Let's look at reality here. Andy Robertson is an EPL and a European Cup winner. If you are actually saying that players like Jack and McLean are better football and more adoptable then it's an interesting take.

I'm not going to belittle it as everyone has their own opinion.

My opening post was "People confuse football with table football."

In football matches, players move. The left side of a pitch has the same surface as the middle. It's not like they've playing a different sport.

Would moving Andy Robertson deep in midfield be akin yo watching the Scottish to Beckenbauer? No. But he would be far better in that position than McTominay or McLean.

If you disagree. Fine. It's not my job to convince you, nor do I particularly care if you agree or not.

I think it's worth a go.

Ultimately, I want to see Hickey playing there. Barron, too.

I'm done here.

If Tierneys injured then robbo has to play left back or left wing back. We don't have any others who are as good at that position other than hickey and we need him at right back. 

Robertson in midfield isn't the worst idea but we need our best players playing their preferred positions where they perform best. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/29/2024 at 10:09 PM, GilmourFan said:

Either introduce Barron into the squad or try Andy Robertson in the double pivot with Gilmour.

He has the aggression, the engine and the defensive awareness.

If Liverpool and England can play Trent in midfield, so can we.

Unless it's too much of a creative idea for some stuck-in-the-mud fans.

The concept of 3 at the back was too much for some fans to get their head around. Look how that turned out. 2 successful qualifiers and 1 playoff in 3 campaigns.

Nice.

Is Trent aware of this?

On 4/30/2024 at 8:09 PM, GilmourFan said:

No.

A box to box midfield goes from box to box. A deep lying midfielder like Makele, Kante, Dunga, etc, hardly venture past the halfway line.

Like Gilmour. He gets a nose bleed when he gets into the final third.

Ryan Christie is a number 8. Gilmour is a number 6.

I thought Gilmour had his best game for Scotland in the recent friendly against Holland, perhaps the best I’ve seen him play. He was pushing forward much more often, getting involved higher up the pitch. Something I’ve wanted to see for some time. I think there’s more to Gilmours game than sitting in front of the backline. 
I do agree we need a defensive / holding midfielder. I’ve posted this a few times. 
Porteous, Souttar are possibilities, Hickey looks ideal for the role. 

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I thought Gilmour had his best game for Scotland in the recent friendly against Holland, perhaps the best I’ve seen him play. He was pushing forward much more often, getting involved higher up the pitch. Something I’ve wanted to see for some time. I think there’s more to Gilmours game than sitting in front of the backline. 
I do agree we need a defensive / holding midfielder. I’ve posted this a few times. 
Porteous, Souttar are possibilities, Hickey looks ideal for the role. 

Looking more long term, I’m hoping one of Erhahon or Leonard might be options for that role. Both had good seasons in EFL1 and are being touted for moves to the English Championship. If that happens and they kick on next season, they could be considered. Lennon Miller might be an option there too eventually.

I wonder for these games if Clarke is actually going to select his 26 players that he plans to take with him to Germany or if he will select his guaranteed 19/20 players the are the certainties (i.e. McGinn, Robertson, Gunn, Gilmour, Adams, McGregor, Christie etc) and the remaining 6/7 spots will be decided during that training camp & these two friendly games?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Didn't he say before the previous two friendlies that his squad is set in stone and no one will break into the squad?

In hindsight, he shouldn't have said that. But he couldn't have seen these injuries coming.

Barron, Johnston, Morgan and Gauld should all be called up and they should get a run out in the upcoming friendlies.

But he might stick to his guns and stay true to his word.

I remember a few years back, our under 21s were playing Netherlands u21s. Morgan was on the wing.

He turned a certain Denzel Dumfies into a pretzel.

I'd love to see him called up. He's only 27. Should be at his peak.

I can’t remember him saying that but maybe he did at the time?

Of course that can’t happen now & it’ll be mad if he did stick to his guns because we’ve had some injuries to that squad of players. Some are definitely ruled out (Patterson, Ferguson) & some are still rated doubtfully unsure if they will be available by then (Hickey, Armstrong).

Agree, I’d like to see some fresh new faces in the side, particularly those two MLS based players (Gauld & Morgan) to see if they can cut it at international level. We will never know unless it gets tried which is a good test to do in these friendlies. One other player that you haven’t mentioned in your post & someone I’d be very tempted to call up in spate of these injuries is Danny Armstrong from Kilmarnock. He looks a really good player & seems like he’d slot in well into this setup. Won’t be surprised if there’s a English Championship club or two that are in for him this summer.

Again, guess we will need to wait and see when the squad is announced for these games later this month.

Edited by DesiScotsman

55 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Yeah. In saying that Clarke pretty much jinxed it.

Agreed. I cited Danny Armstrong in another post.

It'll be interesting to see which new players Clarke calls up, if any.

I think the confirmed 26 have to be confirmed by the same day we play Finland. So any new players will need to impress in training and against Gibraltar.

Weird one for the players in the camp prior to the Finland game knowing they haven't made the euros squad.  Wonder if the deadline time can be up to midnight that day so that game could still be a final chance to impress for some fringe players

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, todd said:

Weird one for the players in the camp prior to the Finland game knowing they haven't made the euros squad.  Wonder if the deadline time can be up to midnight that day so that game could still be a final chance to impress for some fringe players

Yeah it’s midnight that day so literally two hours after the Finland friendly concludes that the squads must be submitted over to UEFA.

Although it was reported a month ago that both ourselves and England asked for the squad submission deadline to be delayed but it seems like it was rejected by UEFA.

Edited by DesiScotsman

If it's true that squads need to be submitted on the same evening that teams are also playing games where players could get injured etc that sounds totally daft. Mind you the Finland game is literally 7 days before the tournament, which seems a bit late to be having to announce squads.

I imagine the squad will be officially announced on social media etc ahead of the 2 friendlies and that squad will be the squad that plays those games

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

If it's true that squads need to be submitted on the same evening that teams are also playing games where players could get injured etc that sounds totally daft. Mind you the Finland game is literally 7 days before the tournament, which seems a bit late to be having to announce squads.

I imagine the squad will be officially announced on social media etc ahead of the 2 friendlies and that squad will be the squad that plays those games

I agree until I read the below article:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/13117105/euro-2024-uefa-considering-squad-announcement-delay-amid-england-and-scotland-fixture-congestion

It is also within the existing UEFA rules that players can be replaced in squads any time up to the tournament's opening match so long as there is medical proof that they have an injury preventing them from playing.

So if any player was to pick up an injury in the Finland game, they can be replaced after the squads have been submitted prior to the Germany game.

2 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

I agree until I read the below article:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/13117105/euro-2024-uefa-considering-squad-announcement-delay-amid-england-and-scotland-fixture-congestion

It is also within the existing UEFA rules that players can be replaced in squads any time up to the tournament's opening match so long as there is medical proof that they have an injury preventing them from playing.

So if any player was to pick up an injury in the Finland game, they can be replaced after the squads have been submitted prior to the Germany game.

It’s still odd they don’t just leave it till the next day 

On 5/5/2024 at 4:16 PM, DesiScotsman said:

I can’t remember him saying that but maybe he did at the time?

Of course that can’t happen now & it’ll be mad if he did stick to his guns because we’ve had some injuries to that squad of players. Some are definitely ruled out (Patterson, Ferguson) & some are still rated doubtfully unsure if they will be available by then (Hickey, Armstrong).

Agree, I’d like to see some fresh new faces in the side, particularly those two MLS based players (Gauld & Morgan) to see if they can cut it at international level. We will never know unless it gets tried which is a good test to do in these friendlies. One other player that you haven’t mentioned in your post & someone I’d be very tempted to call up in spate of these injuries is Danny Armstrong from Kilmarnock. He looks a really good player & seems like he’d slot in well into this setup. Won’t be surprised if there’s a English Championship club or two that are in for him this summer.

Again, guess we will need to wait and see when the squad is announced for these games later this month.

Hoping Hearts will be in for Danny Armstrong. We’ve inquired about him before.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

No disrespect to your club Hearts but I hope if he was to leave Kilmarnock then it would be to play at a much higher level to test himself against better opposition and teammates around him (English Championship or even abroad) rather than just a “sideway step” in the same league.

He looks good enough to make the the step up to a higher level.

Edited by DesiScotsman

4 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

2 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

No disrespect to your club Hearts but I hope if he was to leave Kilmarnock then it would be to play at a much higher level to test himself against better opposition and teammates around him (English Championship or even abroad) rather than just a “sideway step” in the same league.

He looks good enough to make the the step up to a higher level.

I think he’s more likely to be going to Rangers than Hearts if the rumours are to be believed. 

21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think he’s more likely to be going to Rangers than Hearts if the rumours are to be believed. 

Why would Rangers buy another Scottish player? They've already bought one in the last 20 years

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, todd said:

Why would Rangers buy another Scottish player? They've already bought one in the last 20 years

😂

We desperately need to implement a homegrown player rule. It's getting ridiculous.

There is a distinct possibility that there will be zero Rangers players in the Euros squad. 

Hypothetically, if we had no injuries, and the squad size was 23, it's quite likely McGregor would have been the only Scot to be picked from the 2 biggest teams in our country. 

Unhypothetically, Taylor, Forrest, Ralston and Souttar will likely be included.

Edited by Tartan blood

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, todd said:

I realise you’re trying to be funny but Rangers have signed (or have at least played) Ryan Jack, Scott Wright, Kenny Miller, Kris Boyd, John Souttar, Allan McGregor, Lee McCulloch, Lee Wallace, Davie Weir, Steven Whittaker, Kirk Broadfoot, Kevin Thompson, Danny Wilson, Andy Halliday,  Jason Hoult, Neil Alexander, Andy Webster, Christian Dailly, Charlie Adam, Ian Murray, Steven Naismith, Alan Gow, Steven Smith, Phil Bardsley, Gavin Rae, Richard Foster, Graham Dorrans and Jaimie Murphy in the last 20 years.

And that’s just the players I can remember off the top off my head.

Edited by Texas Pete

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I realise you’re trying to be funny but Rangers have signed (or have at least played) Ryan Jack, Scott Wright, Kenny Miller, Kris Boyd, John Souttar, Allan McGregor, Lee McCulloch, Lee Wallace, Davie Weir, Steven Whittaker, Kirk Broadfoot, Kevin Thompson, Danny Wilson, Andy Halliday,  Jason Hoult, Neil Alexander, Andy Webster, Christian Dailly, Charlie Adam, Ian Murray, Steven Naismith, Alan Gow, Steven Smith, Phil Bardsley, Gavin Rae, Richard Foster, Graham Dorrans and Jaimie Murphy in the last 20 years.

And that’s just the players I can remember off the top off my head.

That’s 28 over 20 years, and that included their years in the lower leagues. 

just for comparison, Dundee Utd used 22 Scots this season.

Posted (edited)

I think there’s been a change in mentality for young players now. In the past, the old firm would sign the best youngsters from other Scottish teams and they’d end up stagnating on the bench but they seemed happy to do that and just pick up a wage.

I think someone like Barron is more likely to go abroad having seen the likes of Doig, Johnston, Morrison, Hickey, Ferguson etc do it

Edited by csinclair

4 hours ago, adamntg said:

That’s 28 over 20 years, and that included their years in the lower leagues. 

just for comparison, Dundee Utd used 22 Scots this season.

I didn’t mean Rangers play a lot of Scots (obviously they don’t) but the person I replied to was suggesting Rangers do not buy any Scottish players which is not true. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t mean Rangers play a lot of Scots (obviously they don’t) but the person I replied to was suggesting Rangers do not buy any Scottish players which is not true. 

It was just a bit of hyperbole mate, didn't mean it literally. 

Do you think they are of any great help to our national team?  I know that's not they're purpose but, just asking.  

Edited by todd

Every time Gauld is mentioned, Hibs fans pipe up that he was garbage there god knows how many years ago (whilst carrying an injury). Didn’t see game today but apparently Junior Hoillett was superb against Hibs, the same Junior Hoolett who couldn’t get a start for Vancouver  Whitecaps a few months ago, a team captained by Ryan Gauld! 

3 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Yeah. When the World undertakes it's first sense of humour transplant you've weeded out the first candidate. 😛

😆 To be fair though, Texas Pete is usually ok, must've just got up on the wrong side of his Rangers bedspread 😁