Gibraltar and Finland Squad Watch - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gibraltar and Finland Squad Watch

N4Footsoldier

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

lol

He always seeme awfully grumpy to me. Apparently my opinion on England being a top 10 team doesn't count as it's FIFA's jurisdiction.

A forum where opinions don't count. Interesting... 😛

Yep, opinions are definitely frowned upon on this forum, unless, of course, it's the same opinion as the TAMB stalwarts 

Edited by todd

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

You've noticed that, too, huh?

I was called controversial for saying that Stuart Armstrong isn't very good. I had to check back and make sure I didnt write "Zidane" by mistake.

I called England goalkeeping situation dire. I was told that I'm wrong, as England have keepers who are "playing in one of the best leagues in the world."

The person who said that obviously doesn't realise that only 1 of their top four keepers are playing regularly (Trafford and Ramsdale are back up keepers and Johnstone is injured)

Oops.

Don't worry, you'll end up banned again soon, you won't need to worry about the tamb accepting your opinion until you sign up with a different username again in 6 months

1 hour ago, GilmourFan said:

Good news is that Scott McTominay finished their match unscathed.

Plus he and the Old Trafford slope combined to injure Saka. 😛

Can't wait till this season is done and dusted.

Weird situation we're in at present, I used to tune in to the live games in the hope of watching one of our boys in action.  Now I get the fear if they're on the pitch at any point!  Ridiculous really 😁

49 minutes ago, todd said:

Weird situation we're in at present, I used to tune in to the live games in the hope of watching one of our boys in action.  Now I get the fear if they're on the pitch at any point!  Ridiculous really 😁

I'm in exactly the same position.  I'd rather all were rested... mad really

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, todd said:

I’m the same. Usually would be tuning in & hoping as many of our players are playing the full 90 mins at their clubs, but now I’m more than happy if they don’t play as much. If they get subbed, I’m checking social media to ensure it’s not injury related & if it is then start googling how long that particular injury takes to heal or see if any other professional footballer has experienced the same injury & how long they were out for 🤣

Certainly mad but I suppose it’s a position not many of us have been in before for a very long time as I doubt we’d be worried that much like we are just now if we didn’t have a major tournament in a months time. Also the number of injuries & worries we’ve had for the last few weeks certainly give you a bit of trepidation!

Edited by DesiScotsman

9 hours ago, mariokempes said:

I'm in exactly the same position.  I'd rather all were rested... mad really

I go from wanting them rested to wanting them to finish on a high, pumped full of adrenalin after some relative success

Examples

Mctominay - imagine man utd pull of a miracle and beat man city in the fa cup final and mctom is part of it

Adams, possible Fraser and Stewart......winning promotion at Wembley would be amazing for them same with McLean, Hanley and gunn.

Wrap Robertson or anyone with nothing to play for in cotton wool. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I go from wanting them rested to wanting them to finish on a high, pumped full of adrenalin after some relative success

Examples

Mctominay - imagine man utd pull of a miracle and beat man city in the fa cup final and mctom is part of it

Adams, possible Fraser and Stewart......winning promotion at Wembley would be amazing for them same with McLean, Hanley and gunn.

Wrap Robertson or anyone with nothing to play for in cotton wool. 

Lack of minutes at club level didn't seem to affect McTominay and Tierney during qualification like it does some players.

I know he's maybe not seen as one of our top players but I do wonder why Shankland is not being rested a bit more as he looks absolutely exhausted and Hearts have nothing left to play for. I was worried about McGinn being burnt out but I thought he was good against Olympiakos.

Interesting it says EURO squad, which suggest no more than 26, he won't be going the 28-30 man squad like some other Nations and then cut down to 26. 

Southgate I read may not even take 26, that made me nervous that Clarke would also go that route. 

Edited by romanticscot

40 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Interesting it says EURO squad, which suggest no more than 26, he won't be going the 28-30 man squad like some other Nations and then cut down to 26. 

Southgate I read may not even take 26, that made me nervous that Clarke would also go that route. 

Maybe a 28 man squad might allow him to try out different players before cutting it down. Although it very harsh on the 2 who don't make the final cut.

41 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Id be surprised if he doesn’t name more. If someone gets injured we’ll need to call up a replacement so better to have backup players in the camp from the start until the deadline

2 hours ago, csinclair said:

Id be surprised if he doesn’t name more. If someone gets injured we’ll need to call up a replacement so better to have backup players in the camp from the start until the deadline

Yeah I’d be surprised too with that.

Although players can still be replaced after the deadline if they pick up an injury between the squad submission deadline and the opening match.

2 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Yeah. Gareth Southgate was opposed to the expansion of squad sizes from 23 to 26.

There's a good chance he'll pick 23.

I don't think Steve Clarke was against the expansion. I think he'll pick 26.

I hope he does, getting a taste of tournament football is a good experience for any of our youngsters to inspire them do their part to get to another. Chance of a lifetime to sing our anthem in front of packed stadiums, with the world watching on TV and playing your best for all of us who would give a testie to be where they are. 

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe a 28 man squad might allow him to try out different players before cutting it down. Although it very harsh on the 2 who don't make the final cut.

I think Clarke probably already knows his squad. Up until about a month ago he would have thought he was picking 23 players. With Ferguson definitely being out that is down to 22 and with Hickey more than likely being out, 21. 

That means he has to pick at least another 5 players who he didn’t think were going to make his original squad. I suspect he probably doesn’t want to pick another 2 who would have pretty much no chance of going to Germany just for the sake of it and will be happy to pick 26 players who know they will be going to the finals when joining up for the warm up games. 

5 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Scott McTominay played in a more advanced role against Newcastle than I've ever seen him play. He played in a false 9 role. 

The numbers don't back this up, but it was one his best performance of the season.

He occupied Burn in a way that few have. He won 6 out of 9 headers. He created a great chance for Garnacho and he helped out defensively. 

It was a nuanced performance which will inevitably lead to United fans saying that he was "invisible" (even though he had more touches than Mainoo and Garnacho) Which just goes to show how ignorant and unable to think for themselves some United fans are. 

If Scott McTominay was English he would be labelled "The English Michael Ballack". But he's Scottish, so he's a crap player who "hides from the ball". The "Hides from the ball" is the stupidest and laziest piece of armchair analysis that I've ever heard. 

The false 9 role is probably McTominay's most comfortable role. It might be where he starts in the FA Cup final. Up top with either Bruno or Højlund. 

That's where I'd play him in the Euro's, with McGinn and Christie/Forrest/Adams flanking him in a narrow three.

👍

7 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Scott McTominay played in a more advanced role against Newcastle than I've ever seen him play. He played in a false 9 role. 

The numbers don't back this up, but it was one his best performance of the season.

He occupied Burn in a way that few have. He won 6 out of 9 headers. He created a great chance for Garnacho and he helped out defensively. 

It was a nuanced performance which will inevitably lead to United fans saying that he was "invisible" (even though he had more touches than Mainoo and Garnacho) Which just goes to show how ignorant and unable to think for themselves some United fans are. 

If Scott McTominay was English he would be labelled "The English Michael Ballack". But he's Scottish, so he's a crap player who "hides from the ball". The "Hides from the ball" is the stupidest and laziest piece of armchair analysis that I've ever heard. 

The false 9 role is probably McTominay's most comfortable role. It might be where he starts in the FA Cup final. Up top with either Bruno or Højlund. 

That's where I'd play him in the Euro's, with McGinn and Christie/Forrest/Adams flanking him in a narrow three.

It didn’t seem that way to me. It looked more like Bruno Fernandes was playing the false 9 role. McTominay was playing the furthest forward of the midfield 3 of Amrabat & Mainoo. Basically as a number 10 just off Bruno in the false 9 role.

On 5/16/2024 at 1:58 AM, Texas Pete said:

I think Clarke probably already knows his squad. Up until about a month ago he would have thought he was picking 23 players. With Ferguson definitely being out that is down to 22 and with Hickey more than likely being out, 21. 

That means he has to pick at least another 5 players who he didn’t think were going to make his original squad. I suspect he probably doesn’t want to pick another 2 who would have pretty much no chance of going to Germany just for the sake of it and will be happy to pick 26 players who know they will be going to the finals when joining up for the warm up games. 

I think you're right. He probably has 23 pre-selected. With a few backup options in case of injury.

The thing I like most about the expansion is that it makes predicting the squad a lot more exciting. I really hope he repeats what he did last time and fills the 3 additional spots with future talents - Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull.

Hypothetically, I wonder who those 3 would be? Barron, if you believe the media rumours. Doak, if he truly is back in full training. Max Johnston, since we are seemingly threadbare at right back now.

33 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think you're right. He probably has 23 pre-selected. With a few backup options in case of injury.

The thing I like most about the expansion is that it makes predicting the squad a lot more exciting. I really hope he repeats what he did last time and fills the 3 additional spots with future talents - Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull.

Hypothetically, I wonder who those 3 would be? Barron, if you believe the media rumours. Doak, if he truly is back in full training. Max Johnston, since we are seemingly threadbare at right back now.

3 youngsters would be my choice if Clark does go with the 3 extra players. 

8 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I take it you didn't watch the game then and just trying to guage his performance either from a match report or a stats website? 

He didn't have a terrible or great game and didn't seem suited in anyway to a more forward role that he was interlinking with Bruno Fernandes.

The way GilmourFan talks about tactics and positions, sometimes I'm not sure if he's ever watched any game

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

Do not know if there is a longer quote but Callum Mcgregor saying about Forrest for right wing back to solve our injury crisis in that position but not saying anything about Ralston I thought was interesting. 

Probably falls into the Ryan Fraser solution at RWB bracket, potentially ideal if we are playing teams where we expect to have the ball but under pressure against better sides playing a non defender in that position is suicidal. To think Germany will likely have Musiala on that wing running at us, sometimes getting 1 on 1 with the full back the way we pack bodies into the middle of the pitch out of possession.

Forrest in that role in an attacking sense I'm not sure about. Don't think he has the pace of a Fraser, from what I've ever seen of Forrest he's more effective receiving the ball higher up the pitch in that wide position with the freedom to travel inside and get on the end of attacks.

On 5/12/2024 at 5:39 PM, todd said:

😆 To be fair though, Texas Pete is usually ok, must've just got up on the wrong side of his Rangers bedspread 😁

On 5/12/2024 at 5:28 PM, todd said:

It was just a bit of hyperbole mate, didn't mean it literally. 

Do you think they are of any great help to our national team?  I know that's not they're purpose but, just asking.  

I realised you were joking. In fact I’m pretty sure I specifically stated it in my first reply.

I was just pointing out that Rangers do sign Scottish players when players who are good enough (and don’t wish to sign for Celtic or move to England or abroad) become available. 

If Jack was fit he would likely have been going to the euros and if Scott Wright wasn’t shite he might have had a chance as well. 

Will be interesting to see what happens if Rangers do buy Armstrong and Shankland as Rangers could have more players in our squad than any other club over the next few years. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I realised you were joking. In fact I’m pretty sure I specifically stated it in my first reply.

I was just pointing out that Rangers do sign Scottish players when players who are good enough (and don’t wish to sign for Celtic or move to England or abroad) become available. 

If Jack was fit he would likely have been going to the euros and if Scott Wright wasn’t shite he might have had a chance as well. 

Will be interesting to see what happens if Rangers do buy Armstrong and Shankland as Rangers could have more players in our squad than any other club over the next few years. 

Jeez Pete, have you been in stasis, that was ages ago 😄

And actually you didn't say I was joking, you said I was trying to be funny. Much more condescending 😁

Edited by todd