Gibraltar and Finland Squad Watch - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gibraltar and Finland Squad Watch

N4Footsoldier

Perhaps a bit of a conflation of other threads out there but fancied pulling together one place to consider the squad for the last set of friendlies before the Euros as its difficult to keep track of form and more specifically now a lot of injuries.

With plenty of first choice players either confirmed out for the Euros and/or in a race to get fit for the tournament, it seems like Clarke for once might be forced to go outside the box for some of the upcoming squad selection, which begs the further question what he will be trying to achieve and whether there will be any selections that could move the dial for anyone to be included in the Euros?

Centre forward: we basically have got to piss with what we've got. Looks like Adams in good form, Dykes I imagine would be a shoe in on Scotland form but heard from a few account that he's been rotten this season for QPR. Shankland will probably win the golden boot in the SPFL and possibly even player of the year. Not that I'd expect him to start but has to be an automatic pick at this point. Hearing of Nisbet and Stewart being trying to get fit.

Wingers/Attacking mid: We've really had some poor luck in the past weeks with Armstrong, Ferguson and tragically now McTominay. Ryan Fraser in form but is there too much water under the bridge between him and Clarke? Does Christie step up to that position or does he continue to play centre mid? Are any of the other speculative uncapped shouts who are actually likely to get called up (obviously folk constantly throwing around names like Doak and Guald for example).

Full back: This one is looking pretty bad as well. Hopefully Hickey is back to full fitness by the tournament but is he gonna be ready for that? Patterson out. So do we default to Ralston? Looks like Tierney is in another race to be fit in time. That would be a real killer without him too.

Surely 4 Goalkeepers again would be even more unnecessary?

At this point I still trust whatever Clarke will judge is best, he's earned that, at least until the tournament.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full back - Ralston looks likely given he's been in previous squads and played. If both Patterson and Hickey are out then I'd say it's between McCrorie (regular at Bristol C now, versatile position wise, has been called up previously), Johnston (Regular pick for U21s, has been called up to senior squad last November) or the outsider in Armstrong who's had a great season at Killie.

Striker - I think it'll be Adams, Dykes and Shankland unless one of them picks up an injury. With the 26 man squad he may pick another forward and in that case I'd say maybe Conway. He's had a good season and trained with the senior squad last summer. If someone gets injured then possibly a callup for Hardie who Plymouth said the SFA have been keeping tabs on this season.

Either introduce Barron into the squad or try Andy Robertson in the double pivot with Gilmour.

He has the aggression, the engine and the defensive awareness.

If Liverpool and England can play Trent in midfield, so can we.

Unless it's too much of a creative idea for some stuck-in-the-mud fans.

The concept of 3 at the back was too much for some fans to get their head around. Look how that turned out. 2 successful qualifiers and 1 playoff in 3 campaigns.

Nice.

7 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Either introduce Barron into the squad or try Andy Robertson in the double pivot with Gilmour.

The concept of 3 at the back was too much for some fans to get their head around. Look how that turned out. 2 successful qualifiers and 1 playoff in 3 campaigns.

Nice.

Lol welcome back chripper. I have missed you.

1 hour ago, PSJ84 said:

As if suggesting Barron wasn’t mad enough. 

Yeah. Barron is being eyed by Serie A clubs but he's not good enough for Scotland. Totes.

Scotland are lacking bite in midfield. Barron reminds me of a young Stuart McCall. Exactly what we need right now.

Also, is Southgate or Klopp mad for playing Trent in midfield? Is Pep crazy for playing Stones in midfield? Is Arteta a raving loony for playing Zinchenko in midfield?

It's hysterical that football fans howl in shock when the mere suggestion of a player dare "play out of position'.

Football players don't have positions imprinted on their DNA. It's not table football where players are locked into position.

Most of this season Pep has favoured 3-2-4-1. I hasten to think the derision that would be incited in this place if someone suggested something equally as radical.

It's good to think outside the box.

Oscar Wilde ~ "Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities"

Edited by GilmourFan

12 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Nice.

It took us about 2 years to get the 5 at the back system right without looking like we were going to concede every time we lost the ball.

Not sure where the idea of moving Robertson to midfield comes from when we already have plenty of deep lying midfielders but hardly 2 fit full backs to rub together currently. Unless we're looking at rotating players around positions like a 5 a side team 🤣

Praying that Hickey is fit soon and can get some minutes under his belt before the 14 June.

Tierney is another worry but almost better he’s not playing just now as would probably just get injured anyway. Timing might be perfect.

Good news on McTominey but with the injuries to other midfielders, I’d really like Clarke to give Gauld a chance. 

15 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Nice.

Robertson and TAA couldnt be more different in terms of technique / ability.

Robertsons strengths are fitness / energy in getting up and down the line. Defensively he is good at reading the game and making interceptions and he is good at crossing / cut backs.

All of the above he is good at because he can concentrate on one side of the pitch. Ie everything is inside of him. He is quite one dimensional in that sence which isnt a bad thing as such and is probably why he plays left back.

Robertson doesnt have good close control, isnt two footed, doesnt have good 360 degrees awareness (compare to Gilmour), doesnt have skill / quick feet to move away from players in tight spaces, doesnt have the range of passing TAA does, is horrible at shooting, isnt particuarly physical.

Its a running joke at Liverpool that Robertson is literally horrible at the Ronda. He basically has no attributes that you would associate with a central midfield player.

Some players can be amazing in one position and one position only. Thats not a bad thing.

5 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

we already have plenty of deep lying midfielders

Yes. But none of them are anchormen.

Gilmour and McGregor are great as deep lying playmakers, but neither could tackle a fish supper.

A fit Jack would be ideal. Alas, injury had put paid to that idea.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Robertson and TAA couldnt be more different in terms of technique / ability.

Robertsons strengths are fitness / energy in getting up and down the line. Defensively he is good at reading the game and making interceptions and he is good at crossing / cut backs.

All of the above he is good at because he can concentrate on one side of the pitch. Ie everything is inside of him. He is quite one dimensional in that sence which isnt a bad thing as such and is probably why he plays left back.

Robertson doesnt have good close control, isnt two footed, doesnt have good 360 degrees awareness (compare to Gilmour), doesnt have skill / quick feet to move away from players in tight spaces, doesnt have the range of passing TAA does, is horrible at shooting, isnt particuarly physical.

Its a running joke at Liverpool that Robertson is literally horrible at the Ronda. He basically has no attributes that you would associate with a central midfield player.

Some players can be amazing in one position and one position only. Thats not a bad thing.

I'm not denying any of that. I actually agree with all of it. But I didn't say that TAA was exactly like Robertson.

For one, Robertson is double the defender that TAA is.

However, Rino Gattuso was hardly Pirlo and yet he did OK.

We need energy in the engine room and Robertson brings it. The same way that Stones brought defensive solidity to Manchester City when Rodri was out.

Beggars can't be choosers.

1 hour ago, GilmourFan said:

I'm not denying any of that. I actually agree with all of it. But I didn't say that TAA was exactly like Robertson.

For one, Robertson is double the defender that TAA is.

However, Rino Gattuso was hardly Pirlo and yet he did OK.

We need energy in the engine room and Robertson brings it. The same way that Stones brought defensive solidity to Manchester City when Rodri was out.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Energy is not a replacement for quality.

You would be taking one of our best players out of his natural position to put him in a position that not only has he never played, by your own admission he has none of the attributes to play.

TAA and Stones can play there because they have the attributes.

Hickey would be much better suited to midfield if we are really pushed. But we arent really pushed. We have McGreggor, Gilmour and McLean who all play there for us and Christie who plays there for his club side. If you want energy then Christie is the answer.

30 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Energy is not a replacement for quality.

You would be taking one of our best players out of his natural position to put him in a position that not only has he never played, by your own admission he has none of the attributes to play.

TAA and Stones can play there because they have the attributes.

Hickey would be much better suited to midfield if we are really pushed. But we arent really pushed. We have McGreggor, Gilmour and McLean who all play there for us and Christie who plays there for his club side. If you want energy then Christie is the answer.

In an ideal world we'd have three top center backs. That would allow Tierney to play left wing back.

Robertson could play anywhere in midfield and defence. There was even a period when he was at Hull that fans compared him to Bale.

Hickey should end up in midfield.

McGregor and Gilmour are brilliant deeply lying playmakers. But as I said, they can't tackle.

McLean is a champion player. He shouldn't be in the first XI.

I'm not sure why people are saying that Christie is playing deep. He isn't. Has anyone actually watched Bournemouth? He's playing in a box-to-box role with Lewis Cook playing the holding role.

Here's Christie's EPL heatmap:

Screenshot_20240430_184422_Sofascore.jpg

1 hour ago, GilmourFan said:

In an ideal world we'd have three top center backs. That would allow Tierney to play left wing back.

Robertson could play anywhere in midfield and defence. There was even a period when he was at Hull that fans compared him to Bale.

McGregor and Gilmour are brilliant deeply lying playmakers. But as I said, they can't tackle.

I'm not sure why people are saying that Christie is playing deep. He isn't. Has anyone actually watched Bournemouth? He's playing in a box-to-box role with Lewis Cook playing the holding role.

He's still playing deeper than what he has usually done during his career. Its worth trying him out in the that role for Scotland.

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Box to box midfielder is a deep playing midfielder. 

No.

A box to box midfield goes from box to box. A deep lying midfielder like Makele, Kante, Dunga, etc, hardly venture past the halfway line.

Like Gilmour. He gets a nose bleed when he gets into the final third.

Ryan Christie is a number 8. Gilmour is a number 6.

Edited by GilmourFan

39 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

No.

A box to box midfield goes from box to box. A deep lying midfielder like Makele, Kante, Dunga, etc, hardly venture past the halfway line.

Like Gilmour. He gets a nose bleed when he gets into the final third.

Ryan Christie is a number 8. Gilmour is a number 6.

Either way he's playing a different role to what he has done for most of his career.

Might work well with him partnering McGregor or gilmour although neither of them are hard tackling types perhaps Christie could provide that. He's always been good at winning the ball. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Either way he's playing a different role to what he has done for most of his career.

Might work well with him partnering McGregor or gilmour although neither of them are hard tackling types perhaps Christie could provide that. He's always been good at winning the ball. 

Agreed.

But if you paired Christie up with either McGregor or Gilmour it would be suicidal, especially against a top team.

A trio of Gilmour, Christie and an archetypal anchorman would be ideal. Alas, Jack is really the only one who fits the bill and unfortunately he's a sick note.

Barron going to Serie A would be perfect. Look how much tactically Ferguson has progressed.

Agree. A midfield two of Christie & McGregor against someone like Germany (midfield 3 of Kroos, Gundogan & Musiala) on MD1 and it’s not going to be pretty viewing. 

13 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Agreed.

But if you paired Christie up with either McGregor or Gilmour it would be suicidal, especially against a top team.

A trio of Gilmour, Christie and an archetypal anchorman would be ideal. Alas, Jack is really the only one who fits the bill and unfortunately he's a sick note.

Barron going to Serie A would be perfect. Look how much tactically Ferguson

Edited by DesiScotsman

I wonder for these games if Clarke is actually going to select his 26 players that he plans to take with him to Germany or if he will select his guaranteed 19/20 players the are the certainties (i.e. McGinn, Robertson, Gunn, Gilmour, Adams etc) and the remaining 6/7 spots will be decided during that training camp and these two games?

17 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Agree. A midfield two of Christie & McGregor against someone like Germany (midfield 3 of Kroos, Gundogan & Musiala) on MD1 and it’s not going to be pretty viewing. 

Spot on.

3 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Robertson cant play anywhere in midfield though. Thats the point. He has none of the atttibutes to play a holding midfielder. 

You are saying we need a holding midfielder and not deep lying playmakers but then you are saying Roberton can play there because of his energy and tackling. Robertson isnt particuarly good at tackling (Tierney is) and a holding midfielder needs discipline way more than energy. The only holdind mid in recent years with energy as their main strength was Kante.

Holding mids are players like Rodri who have the discpline to sit, dictate play and cut out attacks / cover gaps. Robertson would be one of the last players in the squad who fits that mould.

Other than Hickey the only other defender who might be able to play there is Hendry amd thats a total guess.

Theres a difference between being resistent to change / trying out new things and just throwing things at the wall hoping something sticks.