The SFA should support the PFA at the FIFA Congress on 17th of May - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The SFA should support the PFA at the FIFA Congress on 17th of May

Hi there,

This post is for Scotland fans who are concerned that the SFA has not yet open spoken out in solidarity with Palestine, as it it did with Ukraine back in 2022. As you may know, the Palestine Football Association has sent a letter to the SFA, asking it to endorse its request for FIFA to sanction Israeli teams at the upcoming FIFA Congress on 17th of May 2024. We believe that the SFA should endorse the request.

To support the PFA, please take 2 minutes to:

1. Sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/the-scottish-football-association-must-ask-fifa-uefa-to-ban-israel Please don't forget to click on the confirmation link in your emails!

2. Please download our Letter from Fans (SFA's relevant Football Social Responsibility commitments outlined), and send to the SFA at info@scottishfa.co.uk: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ECIQygGtK9TsmpW4z2zQvyUsnAwFL9Wk/view?usp=sharing 

Thanks so much for reading,

Scottish Sport for Palestine

Letter from Fans.png

2 hours ago, ScottishSportForPalestine said:

Hi there, by design, world football does! I don't make the rules, just asking that FIFA and the SFA follow them.

Like many things these days, actions were taken in singularity, but the broader implications were not considered. If we make a decision for nation X, we have set a precedent that we must do it for all others. 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sport should have nothing to do with politics. 

100% agree 

IMO this thread should be removed, can Mods look into please 

It certainly doesn’t belong under ‘ TA Specific ‘ 

Anything Goes - Politics !! ( Can this be moved or removed pls ) 

Edited by broraboy
Additional Info added

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, broraboy said:

100% agree 

IMO this thread should be removed, can Mods look into please 

It certainly doesn’t belong under ‘ TA Specific ‘ 

Anything Goes - Politics !! ( Can this be moved or removed pls ) 

It's about the FIFA Congress- do people post about that in the politics section? The "sport should have nothing to do with politics" line is curious- what is national sport if not something almost entirely defined by rules and political lines at its core? Everything is political- your milk is, your coffee is. Even your avatar is political, christ! This post is about the convergence between politics and football which FIFA and the SFA embody in their principles, and something that will be discussed at the FIFA Congress, so there was no obvious topic for me to post this under. It can be moved by mods, but I see no reason for it to be deleted.

Edited by ScottishSportForPalestine

4 hours ago, marinello said:

Methinks the SFA reticence may be explained in part by Israel being in same group as Womans Nations League group!

Thanks for your input! Yes, I think they are in the same Euro Qualifying Group- due to be played on 31st of May (no details confirmed of match). In my opinion, even more of a reason to speak up and boycott!

I don't get the negative response to this. Either sign the petition if you agree or don't sign it if you don't, or generally abstain from thinking about it if you like. 

As the original poster mentions, international sport by design includes political implications for the organizers especially, even given the general cliché that sport is free from politics associations do speak up on issues when it suits.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I don't get the negative response to this. Either sign the petition if you agree or don't sign it if you don't, or generally abstain from thinking about it if you like. 

As the original poster mentions, international sport by design includes political implications for the organizers especially, even given the general cliché that sport is free from politics associations do speak up on issues when it suits.

You think everyone should encourage Scottish sport to support terrorism. The fact that Israel’s response has now reached a point that can’t be condoned does not make the initial Palestinian action acceptable. 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You think everyone should encourage Scottish sport to support terrorism. The fact that Israel’s response has now reached a point that can’t be condoned does not make the initial Palestinian action acceptable. 

I'm not expressing an opinion either way on whether or not the SFA support either. I don't see any issue with this post and I have my own opinions on it.

The notion that sport and politics are detached is, as other have said, nonsense.

6 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Thank you!

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

who said hamas’ action was acceptable?

as N4F said, it’s just out there for each to ignore or sign.

49 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I'll sign it. The Israeli government is beyond the pale. Like it or not politics is linked to sport. Not condemning Israel, given the continual atrocities it is committing on a colossal scale, is effectively condoning it (in the context of other bans). 

Thanks so much, every name counts!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Gp1trMHN3/ 

Posted (edited)

Reposting as a video for anyone who hasn't got Instagram. We've had loads of names flood in in the last 24 hours, please keep 'em coming. One name can go a long way! https://www.change.org/p/the-scottish-football-association-must-ask-fifa-uefa-to-ban-israel

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wonder if changing the wording from support Palestine to ban Israel has anything to do with the flood of names?

Much more acceptable. 

Hi there, I don't think the wording has been changed, but by banning Israel, the SFA would be supporting Palestine. To be clear, a huge amount of footballers and support staff have been killed, including the Coach of the Palestinian Olympic football team and the several current and former national team players. If the same were happening to Scotland (although I don't think the two are truly comparable) and our first ever goal centurian, several first team players and one of our national coaches had been killed by the English army, I think we would all be signing the petition. We are still signing about the English army in 2024!

This is of course aside from the 34,000 Palestinians who have been killed or injured which is arguably the much more serious charge here. We are simply using sport and football as a route to protecting Palestinians by isolating Israel internationally. The same, as pointed out, was done with South Africa during the Apartheid era.

The Syrian government killed footballer Abdul Baset al-Sarout along with hundreds of thousands of its own citizens.

The Iranian government imprisoned footballer Amir Nasr-Azadani, who it wanted to execute, for protesting in favour of women's rights in that country.

China persecutes tens of thousands of Uyghur citizens. Yet none of those who claim to care so much about Palestine ever demands sanction upon the football associations of these countries. It's only ever Israel they want to punish. And we all know why.

To allow this petition onto the TAMB's TA specific thread creates a dangerous precedent. It has no place here and should be removed.

2 hours ago, ally ross said:

The Syrian government killed footballer Abdul Baset al-Sarout along with hundreds of thousands of its own citizens.

The Iranian government imprisoned footballer Amir Nasr-Azadani, who it wanted to execute, for protesting in favour of women's rights in that country.

China persecutes tens of thousands of Uyghur citizens. Yet none of those who claim to care so much about Palestine ever demands sanction upon the football associations of these countries. It's only ever Israel they want to punish. And we all know why.

To allow this petition onto the TAMB's TA specific thread creates a dangerous precedent. It has no place here and should be removed.

Yep, there ain't no cause like a current, point scoring one though

2 hours ago, ally ross said:

Fuck me 🙈