A9 Average Speed Cameras - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A9 Average Speed Cameras

Camera in the steering wheel. This is the 21st century man. We have the technology. :ok:

As an added bonus that would catch out folk using mobile phones or picking their nose which I think should be and offence whist driving.

I'm not questioning the technology, just wondering how far into this Orwellian nightmare you'd be willing to go! :wink2:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not questioning the technology, just wondering how far into this Orwellian nightmare you'd be willing to go! :wink2:

The folk who are willing to do something about protecting their civil liberties are so few in number that they can afford just to ignore them. Most folk are willing to put up with almost any level of surveillance as long as the folk in power are protecting them from the BOGEY MAN. :yikes3:

• 10 months later...

Construction work on the dualling starts at last :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34197501

£3billion quid? 2025 completion date? :blink: Are they fashioning the Tarmac from pure Unobtanium and using a couple of guys with a shovel to lay it?

Seriously, anybody know about this stuff? Does 3 billion and ten years sound reasonable?

Edited by redstevie007

£3billion quid? 2025 completion date? :blink: Are they fashioning the Tarmac from pure Unobtanium and using a couple of guys with a shovel to lay it?

Seriously, anybody know about this stuff? Does 3 billion and ten years sound reasonable?

It's all part of the cunning plan of completing the project on time and within budget - a new approach to public sector procurement that the current government have decided to try out with things like queen Elizabeth hospital, borders railway, forth bridge, etc.

It's all part of the cunning plan of completing the project on time and within budget - a new approach to public sector procurement that the current government have decided to try out with things like queen Elizabeth hospital, borders railway, forth bridge, etc.

Smart erse :lol: Just seems a lot of money and ridiculous timeframe for what amounts to what, 100 or so miles of road, some of which is already dualled?

I'd agree that some parts are going to be a challenge but still seems like a very long time.

Aye, the time frame could be squeezed a bit no doubting that. The road is going to be a bit of a nightmare for the next few years anyway so i would be happier if they just increased the number of sections they did at the one time, just to get the thing done ASAP!

Seems like they are concentrating on the "straight forward" sections 1st of all to make sure the timescale is adhered to as much as possible. I think all the problems and delays will kick in post 2020. :(

I also suspect that the budget might be inflated given the controversy over original budgets v final accounts on other large building and infrastructure projects in the recent past. Being a QS in the civil engineering sector, that's what I'd try and do anyway...

It will be brilliant once its done but defos gona be a pain in the arse for a good few years.

Agree - a few years back I decide I was never going to drive the A9 between Perth and Inverness ever again - the stress involved isn't worth it (it's like the flag going up in Whacky Races whenever you reach one of the short dualled sections).

It's just a pity I'll either be deid or have retired my driving licence by the time it's dualled all the way between Perth and Inverness (something that should have been started long ago).

Edited by Charlie Endell

It's always seemed crazy to me that they rebuilt the road in the 70s and didn't make it just a bit wider.

Terribly short sighted...

Yip, the whole transport policy in the 60s and 70s appears to have been short sighted. Some will say that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, but then those that took the decisions should have applied some foresight.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Agree - a few years back I decide I was never going to drive the A9 between Perth and Inverness ever again - the stress involved isn't worth it (it's like the flag going up in Whacky Races whenever you reach one of the short dualled sections).

It's just a pity I'll either be deid or have retired my driving licence by the time it's dualled all the way between Perth and Inverness (something that should have been started long ago).

I love driving the A9 its a great road, you do have to be aware of the complete idiots but its a nice drive. Mind driving back from aviemore a couple of years ago on a Friday evening. Stopped in pitlochry for food, then drove home in the glorious sun, roof down, her sleeping and made it back to Barrhead in about an hour and ten, was so relaxed haha.

I love driving the A9 its a great road, you do have to be aware of the complete idiots but its a nice drive. Mind driving back from aviemore a couple of years ago on a Friday evening. Stopped in pitlochry for food, then drove home in the glorious sun, roof down, her sleeping and made it back to Barrhead in about an hour and ten, was so relaxed haha.

Aye - it's a grand drive when it's quiet - when it's busy though...