A9 Average Speed Cameras - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A9 Average Speed Cameras

Lots of hooses.

I am guessing the highway code has been updated since I passed my test.

The speedo on my first car didn't work so I judged my speed by the lampposts whizzing past. When they became a bit of a blur I knew I was going too fast. I used the same principle to tell if I was too drunk. That was in the days when drink driving was still socially acceptable. Well, it was where I lived anyway.

:-))

Define: "lots of hooses".

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never tried to excuse my ignorance on anything. Ignorance is generally the normal state of affairs. Everybody is ignorant about most things. On this occasion you just happened to know something that I didn't. Thank you for spreading your wisdom.

Imagine how much money we could save if we didn't need speed limit signs. Just tell folk to read the highway code and they should know what the speed limit is on every road that they drive on.

Imagine how much quicker i'd get to my work if we stopped folk who don't know what road signs mean driving :ok:

Edit: I obviously just meant ignorance in regard to this particular thing, not in general. Apologies if i caused any offence :)

Edited by Parklife

Imagine how much quicker i'd get to my work if we stopped folk who don't know what road signs mean driving :ok:

I am guessing aboot 2 minutes 47 seconds. And you would just get done for speeding anyway. Get up earlier in the morning if you want to get to work earlier. :wink2: No need for apology, no offence taken.

What if there's 2 lanes? Is it ok to do 70mph?

not if the other carriageway (goin the other way) is separated by paint has to be a clear central reservation to make it dual. A change in speed will always be clearly marked (interesting motorways dont display the black/white sign these days)

I'm sure just north of Perth the speed limits are clearly marked by 60/70 signs and not the black/white sign....

not if the other carriageway (goin the other way) is separated by paint has to be a clear central reservation to make it dual. A change in speed will always be clearly marked (interesting motorways dont display the black/white sign these days)

I'm sure just north of Perth the speed limits are clearly marked by 60/70 signs and not the black/white sign....

Just look at the signs leading up to it - if it says 'overtaking lane' it's still 60. If it says 'dual carriageway ahead' it's 70.

Is there a link to say that they are set at 79mph on dual carriageways?

Also what are they set at for single carriageways?

Going to be driving down to Scotland game after work in a few weeks and if I can get away with 65, 75 then would be good to know!

That's a good point. if there are different speed limits on different sections how do they average it out?

That's a good point. if there are different speed limits on different sections how do they average it out?

Only the single carriageway has average speed cameras.

Plus the cameras only link to the previous one at the start of each single carriageway section.

(they dont average your speed over the entire A9)

You can still rip the arse out of it on the dual sections (if the police cars arent watching).

What i find "mental" is that a motorist doesn't know that. It's basic knowledge that i'd expect even non-drivers to know.

I've been a HGV driver for 20 years, but often go out in a Merc sprinter. Just been given a speed awareness course for doing 58 on a single carriageway. I genuinely didn't know it was different for vans.

Without looking it up, did you???

For me there are 3 different speed limits. 60 in my car, 50 in a van and 40 in the truck, although the law is going to change and trucks will soon be allowed to do 50 on single carriageways.

Plus the cameras only link to the previous one at the start of each single carriageway section.

You can still rip the arse out of it on the dual sections (if the police cars arent watching).

I don't think that is correct. i was on the A9 from Perth to Dunblane the other week and there were several sets of average speed cameras...all of that section of road is dual carriage way

Can you stop making things up please?

The dual section between Stirling and Perth has average cameras.

My understanding of average cameras is that it is your average speed between any 2 sets of cameras.

Folk should also know that is it 30mph in a built up area (unless otherwise stated) so why do we need 30mph signs?

Street lights- 30 mph unless a sign says otherwise.

Not always plenty of roads down here (cambridgeshire) that are in built up areas with plenty of street lights that are 40 mph zones. These are the main rds into towns though so that could be the reason

Ment to add for me it's not the speed that causes the problems but bad driving such as overtaking when you can't fully see, tailgating at high speed etc. anything that distracts you from what is happening in front of you can lead to a serious crash

Edited by hunchy

Not always plenty of roads down here (cambridgeshire) that are in built up areas with plenty of street lights that are 40 mph zones. These are the main rds into towns though so that could be the reason

Jailender has it right. The street lights tell you it's a 30 zone unless otherwise signed.

The 40 zones you speak of with plenty of street lights will have signs telling you it's 40.???

If there aren't any 40 signs, How do you know it's 40???

Jailender has it right. The street lights tell you it's a 30 zone unless otherwise signed.

The 40 zones you speak of with plenty of street lights will have signs telling you it's 40.???

If there aren't any 40 signs, How do you know it's 40???

Ye there are plenty of signs saying 40 it was just the way they were trying to describe a 30 mph zone

Switched on today:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-29792420

Heard a bit of Morning Call on the radio discussing this. Interesting call from an old fella who used to drive the original A9 back in the 60s/70s, he said it was a much safer road then despite being a bit slower. There were a number of tight turns which led on to straight sections for overtaking meaning that passing manoeuvres could take place at much lower speeds. As opposed to the long sweeping curves now (which are great to drive, but if there's nobody else on the road).

The consensus seemed to be that road should have been fully dualled when it was upgraded in the 80s. Would've cost a bit more at the time, but a fraction of what it's now going to. Short term, short sighted planning again....

Tuned in as well. Couldn't believe F@nny Alexander making party politics out of it.

If it saves lives then surely it's a good thing?

Anytime I ve been in an average camera stretch I feel it regulates the flow of traffic relatively well instead of all the stop start nonsense you get on M8 M6 M1 etc!

Can you stop making things up please?

The dual section between Stirling and Perth has average cameras.

My understanding of average cameras is that it is your average speed between any 2 sets of cameras.

There's no point considering the Dunblane to Perth bit - why they put average cams on that part of the A9 is the supposedly same reason they put them on the A77 going into Prestwick which is now at a 50mph limit.

Comparing the two is daft.

My understanding of it, and I'm happy for any info to correct me, is north of Dunkeld, all the cameras are linked via radio frequency and the distance between the cams therefore has a line of sight maximum distance. Over Drumochter or the Slochd summits, the cams are out of line of sight and therefore can't connect. So, if you're wanting to chance not getting done, stay around 61/62 average between cameras on the single carriageways and launch it as soon as you get to the duals. However, I won't be the first to try this until some further research has been done by others ;)

Overall, I don't think it'll make much difference in usual daytime traffic, as the fast drivers will still overtake where they can, but the old clear night's 75 mins from Sneckie to Perth is definitely a goner now :(

Why not, and I know this might be controversial, stick to the speed limits and plan your journey times to suit?

In a reasonably powerful car that doesn't have cruise control it's pretty easy for your speed to creep up to 80 odds without noticing, unless you watch your speedo instead of the road.

I think I'm quite a good driver when I'm sober, and I realise when I'm getting too fast, over 80 is too fast most places, others 70 is the limit, but still feels too fast...

In a reasonably powerful car that doesn't have cruise control it's pretty easy for your speed to creep up to 80 odds without noticing, unless you watch your speedo instead of the road.

I think I'm quite a good driver when I'm sober, and I realise when I'm getting too fast, over 80 is too fast most places, others 70 is the limit, but still feels too fast...

So are you not a very good driver when you are not sober . . . ??!!