Movies 2024 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

14 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Might as well open this up as a new thread. I've got tx booked for One Life and Napoleon for later this month so shall report back.

If you have ever tried to watch Waterloo (Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Christopher Plummer as Wellington) i can't imagine a film you would be less likely to be interested in because it is one massive bore fest including the bits showing Napoleon's recent back story 

Napoleon has some decent bits but it’s easily 40 minutes too long. 

Watched The Holdovers recently. Drama about a group of kids who have to spend the Christmas break at their boarding school with a curmudgeonly teacher played by Paul Giamatti. Enjoyed everything about. Well written, some great performances and captures the feel of the time and setting brilliantly. 

Went to see Priscilla a few days ago. Enjoyed it but felt a bit underwhelmed too; maybe that's the point of the movie though, a lonely empty life with Elvis. 

Going to see From Here to Eternity later in Jan. Have seen it before but looking forward to it at the cinema. Love an old classic full of stars. Read somewhere a while back that Sinatra's part is the one referenced by the brutal Johnny Fontaine 'offer' in The Godfather. Obviously a myth but still interesting to think some elements of the story might be true re Sinatra's career. 

24 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Going to see One Life this evening.  My daughter had suggested that Mrs Alibi and I should go to see Wonka but doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I didn't enjoy it apart from Hugh Grant's oompah lumpah. On the other hand my wife loved it 

17 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Went to see Priscilla a few days ago. Enjoyed it but felt a bit underwhelmed too; maybe that's the point of the movie though, a lonely empty life with Elvis. 

Nice beaver tho

6 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Nice beaver tho

👌

Edited by Ally Bongo

9 hours ago, Alibi said:

Going to see One Life this evening.  My daughter had suggested that Mrs Alibi and I should go to see Wonka but doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Looking forward to seeing that film.. Love Marley...

Took me 2 days but i just finished A Cure for Wellness (2016)

Slow going and far too many questions at the end of it

Cinematography & scenery is great 

On 1/5/2024 at 11:16 AM, Alibi said:

How was one life?

Watched two films over the festive season from the 1980's and they where really good and I would recommend a watch at some point. . . . . . . . 

The Star Chamber - with Michael Douglas & Hal Holbrook

Nighthawks - with Sylvester Stallone, Rutger Hauer & Lindsay Wagner

two very different movies, but really enjoyed them, pretty sure I saw both in the old Odeon Cinema on Renfield Street Glasgow (early 1980's)

On 1/7/2024 at 7:54 PM, vanderark14 said:

How was one life?

Worth going to see, even if you already know the story.  Saw it at the cinema in Annan, which has 2 small cinemas (about 65 seats each) side by side in the original cinema building (plus a third cinema at the front of the building but never been in that bit).  The film showing in the adjacent room was Ferrari, and every so often the sound of engines could be heard through the wall.  Made we want to go and see Ferrari actually, but One Life was a decent watch.  

Also saw The Old Oak at the same venue a couple of months ago, a Ken Loach film.  It was very good too although the ending was maybe a bit too tidy for my liking.  Again, worth seeing.  Barbie and Wonka not really appealing to me although Mrs Alibi loved Barbie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 10:14 AM, Alibi said:

Worth going to see, even if you already know the story.  Saw it at the cinema in Annan, which has 2 small cinemas (about 65 seats each) side by side in the original cinema building (plus a third cinema at the front of the building but never been in that bit).  The film showing in the adjacent room was Ferrari, and every so often the sound of engines could be heard through the wall.  Made we want to go and see Ferrari actually, but One Life was a decent watch.  

Saw One Life last night (also in a small cinema but in Bo'ness). I knew a reasonable bit about Nicholas Winton and thought the film was well crafted. Excellent performance from Anthony Hopkins. It's not too long and well worth watching.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:43 PM, Fairbairn said:

Napoleon has some decent bits but it’s easily 40 minutes too long. 

Just watched it. I'm sure a shorter film could have been made, but we both enjoyed it and never felt it dragged.

The headlines from the Oscars are about how a woman playing a child's doll and the film about the child's doll were snubbed. 

At last some fucking sense on the film world. I used to love films, loved a bit of sci fi like star wars or fantasy like LOTR but they've both been butchered by raging feminists 

Anyway, on my watch list when I'm on the baby feeding shift

1. Killers of yhe flower moon

2. Dune 2

3. All of The John wicks

4.sounds of freedom

5. The killer 

I'll be avoiding the new marvel movie despite being a Sci fi fan. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The headlines from the Oscars are about how a woman playing a child's doll and the film about the child's doll were snubbed. 

At last some fucking sense on the film world. I used to love films, loved a bit of sci fi like star wars or fantasy like LOTR but they've both been butchered by raging feminists 

To be fair, if Ryan Gosling and America Ferrara are getting nominated I don't think it's unreasonable to think Margot Robbie was deserving too.  And while it might not be everyone's cup of tea, Barbie is an excellently made film and I find it quite strange that Greta Gerwig wasn't nominated too.

How can a film about Ferrari’s possible be so slow, Iv no idea how they managed to make the trailer look so good. Maybe it’s like Xbox games “not actual footage from the film”, avoid Ferrari like the plague it’s seriously shite

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 7:09 PM, TDYER63 said:

Meh, think I would have actually preferred Barbie to Oppenheimer . 

I rated it a bit higher than my husband’s  ‘ load of overrated shite’ critique but I do think it’s overrated and about an hour too long. 

11 hours ago, dan cake said:

Oppenheimer 3 hours of my life I won’t get back, tedious shite

I really struggle to understand the high rating for this film given the turgid overlong storyline and the public’s generally short attention span. There must be a load of highly intelligent cinema buffs out there.  

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I really struggle to understand the high rating for this film given the turgid overlong storyline and the public’s generally short attention span. There must be a load of highly intelligent cinema buffs out there.  

Do you not remember the plaudits "There will be blood" received ?