Derek Adams comments - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Derek Adams comments

Surprised this hasn't come up anywhere I've seen on here:

Scottish Premiership: Is the standard 'really poor' or just 'very competitive'? - BBC Sport

Thoughts? Honestly it's quite an embarrassing interview. Maybe he thinks he has made a mistake by coming back to Scotland and realizing it is a tough environment to manage in over the EFL which is much less of a bubble.

To say the 4th tier team he ran was "miles better" than his Ross County team wasn't far off the normal English social media trolls who claim Accrington Stanley would win the Scottish Premier League.

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

His team conceded in the 97th minute to lose a game, which nobody is talking about. Pure deflection on his part

I genuinely doubt anyone other than Dundee fans who were there in person will recall the outcome of this game beyond the next few weeks.

To take such a wild swipe at the state of the game, and indirectly his own colleagues' faults for the same seems over the top even if he was trying to deflect any blame from himself. I dare say he has had conversations and reflections since then bringing regret for the outburst.

I've witnessed a few boring matches recently but also some exciting ones.

It's better than League 2 though.  That's just an embarrassment of a comment.

He's been angry and said something he probably didn't mean and then been unable to back down.

Only one team goes down out of 12 automatically.  Ok it's a financial cliff but it's one in 12.  You only go down if you deserve it.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

Thoughts? The guy has obviously had experience north and south , if Cumbria is south. Which it is though most English consider it the far north. Which in their world it is .
He will be correct that any third forth league team can best Ross County for funds and resources. But let’s be real . Dingwall is a big rural village doing well . A massive catchment area not  with too many more people. 
as for football quality. In England it is full time athletics playing at football. I know what I prefer. 

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Derek was exaggerating but the basic point about our league standard is correct. Any team outside the old firm would struggle to make the championship in England.

its no surprise that only one of thefirst 11 national team is based up here.

If they were in the English championship they'd have access to more TV money and would attract more players. They would compete just like the rest of the English teams

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

If they were in the English championship they'd have access to more TV money and would attract more players. They would compete just like the rest of the English teams

Agreed, but they don’t and that’s the point. Based on the current tin pot funding of our game that’s our level.

it was fine back in the 70s when sky didn’t exist.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Derek was exaggerating but the basic point about our league standard is correct. Any team outside the old firm would struggle to make the championship in England.

its no surprise that only one of thefirst 11 national team is based up here.

I'm amazed that a league with considerably more TV money are able to attract better players. 

That said, i've watched a few championship games lately and the standard has been grim. 

Adams is a moron who is trying to deflect from his own failings. 

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

People are getting entertainment and standard muddled up

Scottish football is good entertainment but he was right. The standard of Scottish football is atrocious 

As is most football below the epl in England.