Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On?

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a guy. I know he didn't achieve much with Scotland, but surely one of our greatest players of all time both ability and personality wise. I know people always say that about Fletcher, but it really can't be over stated just how much of a professional this guy is. A true role model for any kid and / or aspiring football player.

Guys look at it this way he was Ill and still pitched up for Scotland... His mental toughness let alone the physical part says all about the man... Who are we to pontificate give him time he will return to his former self . he is that sort of guy who will do it.

The link for those who won't give these bastrds the benefit of a click - https://archive.today/gnihg.

What a legend Darren Fletcher is. A credit to his family, nation and profession. A miracle he can kick a ball at all after all that.

Christ, that nearly brought tears to my eyes. I've always loved the man. Always sang Flower of Scotland, always turned up for Friendlies, and he gets dealt a shyte hand like that.

Even though I completely reject the notion that footballers should be role models for kids, with the likes of him and Naismith, we do have a couple of good ones.

No he is a decent footballer who never really made an impact at Scotland level,who became struck with down with debilitating illness.he deserves credit for coming back to fitness.but he was never a legend.

No he is a decent footballer who never really made an impact at Scotland level,who became struck with down with debilitating illness.he deserves credit for coming back to fitness.but he was never a legend

Spot on. He was/is a decent player, I don't question his commitment to the national team, but am not gonna get misty eyed and pretend he's Riquelme. His level is probably lower end of the premiership.

Spot on. He was/is a decent player, I don't question his commitment to the national team, but am not gonna get misty eyed and pretend he's Riquelme. His level is probably lower end of the premiership.

And that is why he was so consistent in a very good Manchester United team for a number of years before his illness? Lower premiership, maybe now, but in the past, never!

Legend? Not quite, but not far away....

Paul lambert played for Borussia dormund and won the champions league..doesn't make him a legend either.Barry Ferguson was by far the best midfielder we have had in recent times.

Edited by allyc

If I was to call him legend it would be for his commitment to scotland. He my not have been the best midfielder we had in dark blue but just look at the way he would turn up at squad get togethers when not included in the squad just so he could help out in the training. Wouldn't be surprised if he offered to clean the boots just so he could be there

Paul lambert played for Borussia dormund and won the champions league..doesn't make him a legend either.Barry Ferguson was by far the best midfielder we have had in recent times.

Disagree. Ferguson was certainly more creative, but there's more than one type of midfielder. Lambert was better in his midfield role than Ferguson was in his.

No he is a decent footballer who never really made an impact at Scotland level,who became struck with down with debilitating illness.he deserves credit for coming back to fitness.but he was never a legend.

And there lies the problem with most people who watch scottish football.

What makes a legend? Someone who plays for the OF, scores the winning goal in the cup final?

For me it is someone who hasn't had it easy but instead of complaining about it he fights, inspires and is always there to help and assist others to be the best they can.

It's called life. Much more important than football. Legend is very appropriate I'd say.

And there lies the problem with most people who watch scottish football.

What makes a legend? Someone who plays for the OF, scores the winning goal in the cup final?

For me it is someone who hasn't had it easy but instead of complaining about it he fights, inspires and is always there to help and assist others to be the best they can.

It's called life. Much more important than football. Legend is very appropriate I'd say.

:ok::ok::ok:

Pretty disrespectful of van gaal I think to demote fletcher from vice captain in favour of Carrick. Shows also he isn't in van gaal's plans.

Disagree that it's disrespectful. It's football.

Carrick is an experienced player who's return from an injury has seen Man Utd go on a winning run of games.

I think Fletcher needs a move now, I thought at the start of the season he should stay and fight for his place but a move like Phil Neville or Nicky Butt when they left Man Utd would seem good for him.

Unfortunately I can't see him moving abroad, that would be an even better move.