Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On?

Caledonian Craig

Fletcher was turning out for Scotland when badly Ill, remember the Lichtenstein game in October 2011 when he made his way over himself to play game. He deserves some patience from the tartan army for his dedication to the cause, I'm sure once he gets game time at United or possibly elsewhere he will return to form - albeit perhaps not the player he once was but still someone worth having in the squad.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gala, I am sure everyone here are right behind Darren Fletcher in hoping he can return to his best but we are merely being honest. Whilst he is not playing for United his future looks bleak and certainly means he won't be a starter for us. That is why many believe he should get a transfer and get first team football under his belt then hopefully he can return to a semblane of form and fitness and start knocking on the door to start for us again.

I said when he first came back he wasnt going to be the same. Its a shame but it waa clear it had too much impact on him.

To be fair, people said the same about Craig Gordon not so long ago and look at him now. I hope Fletcher can urn it around and find something like his old form. Maybe he does just need a few months of firs team football to sharpen things up. At the moment, he's definitely looking rusty tho.

Fingers crossed for him.

To be fair, people said the same about Craig Gordon not so long ago and look at him now. I hope Fletcher can urn it around and find something like his old form. Maybe he does just need a few months of firs team football to sharpen things up. At the moment, he's definitely looking rusty tho.

Fingers crossed for him.

Gordon was bad injury though Fletch was a pretty serious illness/still is. Sadly I don't see him returning to his past form

If fletch us to move on to another epl club then so what? It will allow him to get a consistent run of games. He's only 30 for 'sake and it's not as if he can only be good if he's at man utd. Id quite happily see fletch be the main midfield man at hull/sunderland etc. be a new challenge for him and reinvigorate his career. Plus there's no evidence of the illness returning, he's just maybe not a van gaal player (like strachan has 'his' players in a way)

Fletcher looks as if he has lost a bit in terms of athleticism and sharpness. Might just need more games to get back to his previous condition.

On a slight tangent, I would like to see how he would do at right back, or dare I say it - central defence........?

He's shown for Man U to be a fine stand in for both those positions. Realistically can actually see him at centre half for us in the future, would probably rather him than Greer there

Centre half? This is a wind up surely. Have you seen fletcher try to win a header from a goal kick? He's got many years ahead of him as a deep lying midfielder, maybe not for man u, but who really cares as long as he's playing consistently. Folk are speculating way too much about him.

In fact I remember him and carrick filled in for Man U at centre half a few seasons ago v Fulham and they were both completely lost and shipped 3 goals, one of which was cause fletcher couldn't get off the grund tae challenge zamora I think it was who then powered in a header.

In fact I remember him and carrick filled in for Man U at centre half a few seasons ago v Fulham and they were both completely lost and shipped 3 goals, one of which was cause fletcher couldn't get off the grund tae challenge zamora I think it was who then powered in a header.

They also filled in plenty of other games including in the champions league and did very well

If that was the case then fair enough. Am sure SAF would have picked any centre half at the club if they weren't injured or available in the registered champs league squad than to play him at centre half. I can recall fletch playing at right back for Man U on a number of occasions but only once at centre half which is a totally different story.If one day strach deems fletcher capable of playing centre half for Scotland then I'd be right behind it but by christ playing him at centre half does not fill me with confidence whatsoever.

Centre half? This is a wind up surely. Have you seen fletcher try to win a header from a goal kick? He's got many years ahead of him as a deep lying midfielder, maybe not for man u, but who really cares as long as he's playing consistently. Folk are speculating way too much about him.

Completely agree. He's terrible at winning headers. Just watch him trying to defend Pannuci's goal for Italy in that game.

Fletch at CB? Not gonna happen.

Rumour last night that Fletch may get an offer from Celtic to move 'home'.

Don't have any credentials except word of mouth.

Don't think that would be a bad move at all for him.

Always thought that could happen, dont know why. Wouldnt mind Bannan moving there either if he got game time. Celtic probably couldnt afford either of their wages though.

I think the SPL in its current state should be the last option for players, especially guys like Bannan who are mid 20s and just need to establish themselves. Would much rather see fletcher join a Stoke/Hull sort of side and stay in the EPL than drop to the SPHell

Edited by ProudScot

Fingers crossed for him.

Gordon was bad injury though Fletch was a pretty serious illness/still is. Sadly I don't see him returning to his past form

Keepers don't need the stamina and speed midfielders do. We could always play him in the holding role - his box-to-box days are sadly over - which is actually what I've always thought his best position would be.

Keepers don't need the stamina and speed midfielders do. We could always play him in the holding role - his box-to-box days are sadly over - which is actually what I've always thought his best position would be.

Never said they did. If you read it I was saying that I said Fletch wouldn't be the same from the start because of his illness. Gordon could overcome injury with time, Fletch can't overcome a life changing illness.