Travel between host cities - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Travel between host cities

Grantyboy1983

18 minutes ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

We've booked flights from Glasgow to Munich and from Stuttgart to Glasgow. Just need to arrange travel from Munich to Cologne and then from Cologne to Stuttgart. What's everyone else doing for this? Internal flights, trains, bus? What would be the best way to go? 

Trains definitely.

19 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Trains aren’t as reliable as the once were in Germany in my experience over the last year and a half or so

Cancellations, delays and sitting idle on platforms for extended periods of time aren’t uncommon

German efficiency is definitely a thing of the past 

Hope it’s the same wi their football team 🤞

2 hours ago, WeeJohnny said:

Just started a new topic on our itinerary but you'll find this good for rail passes. Cool thing is you can pick a pass that allows three or four days travel that dont need to be consecutive. 

Interrail German Rail Pass | Interrail.eu

I'm a bit confused by that site. Have you already purchased your flexipass? Do you need to do that before you can look at times etc?

40 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

My understanding is you pay and pay for the pass then reserve trains effectively for no extra cost. I think others on here have said you can book trains six months in advance

I think on some trains you need to to make a seat reservation, but it's only an extra 10/15 euro. We are looking at this option as it seems quite good value. I don't fancy taking the train all the way to Germany tough, so might fly to somewhere a bit closer and use the interrail pass from there. Lots of options. Sometimes it seems like too many options. 😂

i also saw a cheap / slower train option on a you tube vid ; it looks legit

but if you read the blurb below ; you need to sign up then cancel - it does allow for public transport in cities too

= if you had a tent on your back , and summer off on a budget may be an option

https://fahrkarten.bahn.de/privatkunde/start/start.post?lang=en&redirected=1

The "Deutschlandticket" für 49 quit is not really an option for travel between Munich - Cologne - Frankfurt. It will take you ages to travel as you have more stop overs and longer ride times. I heard on German radio that they want to offer 30€ tickets each way for ticket holders for fast track trains

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2023 at 7:51 AM, TA-West Germany said:

The "Deutschlandticket" für 49 quit is not really an option for travel between Munich - Cologne - Frankfurt. It will take you ages to travel as you have more stop overs and longer ride times. I heard on German radio that they want to offer 30€ tickets each way for ticket holders for fast track trains

Do you know if there is a link to apply for the Deutschland Ticket in English? I could only find it in German. I know it’s possible to translate on iPhone but having the English version would be easier if it exists? 

9 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Do you know if there is a link to apply for the Deutschland Ticket in English? I could only find it in German. I know it’s possible to translate on iPhone but having the English version would be easier if it exists? 

I don’t. But if you need further help, pm me…

On 12/3/2023 at 4:37 PM, DubsDave said:

This site explains the options - https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

Probably best to wait until 17 January to book tickets

Yes this was how I did it. Just booked a trip from Munich to Berlin, a return trip from Berlin to Cologne and return trip from Berlin to Stuttgart and cost £175 and that is first class too.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this link yesterday on twitter, really good prices and worth booking upfront.

I booked Munich-Stuttgart, Stuttgart-Cologne then Cologne-Munich for a grand total of 15euros

I dread to think what those trips would cost in the UK!

2 hours ago, shauntaylor4 said:

I saw this link yesterday on twitter, really good prices and worth booking upfront.

I booked Munich-Stuttgart, Stuttgart-Cologne then Cologne-Munich for a grand total of 15euros

You might be right enough but just make sure that wasn’t just your seat reservations you’ve paid for as they’re only €5 each. 

4 hours ago, shauntaylor4 said:

Sounds like you only booked seat reservations which are €4.90 each.

5 hours ago, shauntaylor4 said:

Yes, that's a reservation you've booked 😂😂 you're about to get a shock.

3 hours ago, PSJ84 said:

You might be right enough but just make sure that wasn’t just your seat reservations you’ve paid for as they’re only €5 each. 

There is now way you have those tickets for 15 euros. As above said, that is the price of reserving a seat. The ticket price is on top of that!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, shauntaylor4 said:

Naw ye didnae. You've reserved a seat on trains you don't actually have a ticket for. 

On 4/3/2024 at 9:49 AM, shauntaylor4 said:

I dread to think when you realise you’ve not actually bought the train ticket for those journeys and only purchased the seat reservations 🫣

Edited by DesiScotsman