Injury Watch - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

20 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Did he? He hit the bar against the Netherlands where he should have scored but what other good opportunities did he miss? I'd be surprised if he picked Stewart unless he has a really strong end to the season.

Had to laugh at the we need someone who can score comment.Considering the season he has had I would have thought that's exactly what Shankland offers. 😂

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Had to laugh at the we need someone who can score comment.Considering the season he has had I would have thought that's exactly what Shankland offers. 😂

Very true. McCoist missed a few chances before that goal against the Swiss in 1996.

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Did he? He hit the bar against the Netherlands where he should have scored but what other good opportunities did he miss? I'd be surprised if he picked Stewart unless he has a really strong end to the season.

Shankland had a couple of chances against Northern Ireland.  A shot from a corner and header in injury time.

I'd stick with Shankland and hope that he does a Griffiths, who kept going close before hitting that we purple patch with us when he regularly scored. 

6 hours ago, thesaint said:

I doubt he’ll get many goals for Scotland, there’s levels to this game and I don’t think Shankland will get many goals for Scotland. I’d be happy if he proved me wrong though. 

5 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Very true. McCoist missed a few chances before that goal against the Swiss in 1996.

Shankland is nowhere near as good a striker as McCoist. He’s not got the instincts, intelligence, craftiness that McCoist had in and around the 18 yard box.

4 hours ago, Goozay said:

Shankland had a couple of chances against Northern Ireland.  A shot from a corner and header in injury time.

I'd stick with Shankland and hope that he does a Griffiths, who kept going close before hitting that we purple patch with us when he regularly scored. 

Maybe Shankland is the best we’ve got at the moment, but I’m not so sure. I’d like to see Stewart given a chance during the friendlies. See if he can make a case for himself to be in the squad for the Euro’s. 
At the very least it’ll add more competition for the strikers role. 
Shankland’s finishing disappointed me in the last friendlies. Some of his other play was good, but at the end of the day, we need a striker who can score. A decent striker scores at least one of the chances Shankland got over the 2 games. 

5 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Maybe Shankland is the best we’ve got at the moment, but I’m not so sure. I’d like to see Stewart given a chance during the friendlies. See if he can make a case for himself to be in the squad for the Euro’s. 
At the very least it’ll add more competition for the strikers role. 
Shankland’s finishing disappointed me in the last friendlies. Some of his other play was good, but at the end of the day, we need a striker who can score. A decent striker scores at least one of the chances Shankland got over the 2 games. 

Given the time Stewart has been out and the limited minutes he's had for Scotland thus far he would need to show something pretty special in the remaining 3/4 games of the season to warrant selection. Pretty doubtful given these will be substitute appearances at best. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a player but it's unrealistic to expect him to be at anything like his best form. Hickey is the same but given our lack of alternative options, his quality, ang age, its more likely we'll take a gamble on him. To expect him to be anything like his best is crazy. Similarly unless he shows up really well in the friendlies, he won't start.

7 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Shankland is nowhere near as good a striker as McCoist. He’s not got the instincts, intelligence, craftiness that McCoist had in and around the 18 yard box.

I wasn't commenting on whether he was better. I was saying someone regarded as one of the best ever Scottish strikers also missed chances and easy chances too. I think you're being unduly harsh on Shankland. I only think one of his chances was one he definitely should have scored. 

On 5/3/2024 at 12:12 AM, mccaughey85 said:

I think Ralston will stand a good chance of making the squad. Just have to hope hickey makes it although he might struggle to be match sharp considering he's not played much.

I think there is no doubt he will be in the squad. If Hickey isn't fit then he starts, if Hickey is fit then hes the number 2, we don't really have other options

3 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Kieran Tierney will be back training next week. McTominay, too.

That could be good timing. Unfortunately 8 weeks seems to be Tierney's limit for staying injury free these days, so there is a good chance he could handle three games in June

10 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

No Porteous in the Watford squad today. Should we be concerned?

No.

The Watford boss stated the other day he would not risk Porteous as he realises he has a big summer ahead. Also, bizarrely, he said Porteous was one yellow card away from a suspension and did not want him suspended for the start of next season. Surely, those bookings/suspensions do not get carried forward?

4 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Another thing worth noting, if Hickey doesn't make it, the right wing back spot doesn't have to be filled by a right back/defender.

Craig Burley played right wing back at France 98.

Good player back in his day but blimey I don’t want to see a 52 year old potentially up against Leroy Sane/Jamal Musiala 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No.

The Watford boss stated the other day he would not risk Porteous as he realises he has a big summer ahead. Also, bizarrely, he said Porteous was one yellow card away from a suspension and did not want him suspended for the start of next season. Surely, those bookings/suspensions do not get carried forward?

There’s been rumours flying around this week that he’s wanted by Udinese this summer. They have the same owners.

19 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

There’s been rumours flying around this week that he’s wanted by Udinese this summer. They have the same owners.

Well I presumed when the Watford boss spoke of a big summer ahead for Porteous I presumed he was talking of the Euros with Scotland but  it is feasible he was hinting of sealing a move to Udinese.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I presumed when the Watford boss spoke of a big summer ahead for Porteous I presumed he was talking of the Euros with Scotland but  it is feasible he was hinting of sealing a move to Udinese.

That’s what I thought too but word down there is that he’s heading to Italy this summer after the Euros. The manager could be hinting at both the Euros & his club future thereafter.

Either way, his exclusion from the squad means at least it’s one player we don’t have to worry about getting an injury on the last day of his clubs season.

Edited by DesiScotsman

8 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

That’s what I thought too but word down there is that he’s heading to Italy this summer after the Euros. The manager could be hinting at both the Euros & his club future thereafter.

Either way, his exclusion from the squad means at least it’s one player we don’t have to worry about getting an injury on the last day of his clubs season.

He's a player I'd be least worried about missing out. Terrifies me everytime there's a loose ball. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

He's a player I'd be least worried about missing out. Terrifies me everytime there's a loose ball. 

He’s probably been our most consistent defender through the qualifying campaign. 
I hold my hands up that prior to his debut against Ukraine I didn’t think he had the temperament for international football but I’d say he’s been solid for us ever since.

6 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

I'm surprised at that. I think he's our best centre back after Tierney 

5 hours ago, csinclair said:

He’s probably been our most consistent defender through the qualifying campaign. 
I hold my hands up that prior to his debut against Ukraine I didn’t think he had the temperament for international football but I’d say he’s been solid for us ever since.

I agree. I think he's done better than Hendry since coming in though that may be because Hendry should be on the right and not in the centre.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Are you being ageist?! You cheeky wee rascal!! 😛

I don't know. Give him a run out against Gibraltar and Finland to see where his fitness levels are.

I would trust him over Stuart Armstong* 😛

*Some people will be shocked when they find out about inverted fullbacks/wing backs.

Opinions I suppose which everyone is entitled to but Armstrong would be a no bad shout at RWB (obviously rated doubtful with this injury so don’t know if he will make it). I rate him but I know you don’t which is fine as it’s a forum and we all have our own opinions. But again, like you mentioned in your initial post regarding when Burley was deployed in this role back in France 98, a RWB doesn’t have to be a defender.

Edited by DesiScotsman