Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I don't want a team full of England rejects. I don't even think Adams should have been picked but I can't fault him since he's come in.

Anderson is English, Adams is English etc.  My grandmother was English and guess how English I feel? Not at all. The only one I can believe genuinely has split loyalties is Scott McTominay and Peter Grant said he couldn't wait to play for Scotland and, let's face it, his dad probably encouraged him since he was young.

👍👍👍

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/5/2023 at 1:02 PM, wanderer said:

Anderson said on Sky Sports last week he is keeping his options open, so its clearly all about options from his point of view, and when you read Clarke in the Guardian, while not throwing Anderson under the bus, you can tell he was fuming with the tone of some of the answer's he was giving (starts off pleading with fans to lay off the boy, but they does go off on one on him about how he has not spoken to him since he left the squad).

Its fair to say we have even less need for him in next few years than England do in the next 10 years.

Get him to fuck then. Its that simple.

Called up after confirming for Scotland, then pulls out and is now saying that he is considering his options. He should be told to fuck off, he has burned his bridges. 

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's a child FFS, some people on here should get a grip.

He may be a lot of things...but at 21 a child isn't one of them.So he is well old enough to get married,to vote but isn't old enough to make his mind up about what country he want's to represent.He's taking the pish.Tell him to piss off.

9 minutes ago, thesaint said:

He may be a lot of things...but at 21 a child isn't one of them.So he is well old enough to get married,to vote but isn't old enough to make his mind up about what country he want's to represent.He's taking the pish.Tell him to piss off.

I wouldn't let 21 year olds get married or vote, unless they have spent 5 years in the real world. 

A 20 year old (not 21) who's entire life has involved being in football academies has little understanding of his nationality or anything else for that matter.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wouldn't let 21 year olds get married or vote, unless they have spent 5 years in the real world. 

A 20 year old (not 21) who's entire life has involved being in football academies has little understanding of his nationality or anything else for that matter.

21 next month .As for no understanding of his nationality...🤣

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Are you for real? I would have thought that from a very young age he’s been dreaming about playing for his country. No?

if so, he knows what his country is. It’s not Scotland, just wish Clarke had told it like it is rather than covering for him.

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He’s very well aware of what he’s doing. He’s not daft.

He’s waiting to see if he’ll get a game for England. 

13 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Are you for real? I would have thought that from a very young age he’s been dreaming about playing for his country. No?

Best comment on this topic. 

We all grew up playing football in the street/field and you played knock out football with your mates. You knew what player you wanted to be, what league team you supported and what country you supported. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is not inconceivable this was part of a plan to force England's hand. Make out you are set to represent another country and send your preferred option into a panic and force them into acting. Pull out of a squad at the last moment and hope it forces his preferred option to select him. It failed.

Please admin close this topic so we don't need to read extracts from people's over active imaginations.

He has started a handful of first team games this season , whether we like it or not England aren't desperate enough to call up players after such limited first team football it's only the smaller nations like us that need to consider such things due to lack of alleged quality options.

3 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Please admin close this topic so we don't need to read extracts from people's over active imaginations.

He has started a handful of first team games this season , whether we like it or not England aren't desperate enough to call up players after such limited first team football it's only the smaller nations like us that need to consider such things due to lack of alleged quality options.

Maybe Southgate called Anderson  up and he told him he needed time to consider his international options. 

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Maybe Southgate called Anderson  up and he told him he needed time to consider his international options. 

That's definitely viable but we don't know & may never so until we hear something official I'd rather give calling the kid a rest. 

If I was a professional footballer, I'd have a choice of 4 nations to choose from (Scotland, India, Pakistan & Russia) due to this grandparent rule. I'd opt for Scotland every single day of the year. It's the country I was born in and lived all my life in growing up. The country that I support on sporting occasions. If I wasn't chosen for Scotland then so be it but I wouldn't be open for selection for those other 3 eligible nations if I was apporached to represent them. I have no attachment to them, just that they are in my heritage.

Therefore I don't really blame Elliot Anderson at all if he deep down wants to represent England over Scotland. It's the country of his birth. The one that he is going to feel the most attached to.

3 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

If I was a professional footballer, I'd have a choice of 4 nations to choose from (Scotland, India, Pakistan & Russia) due to this grandparent rule. I'd opt for Scotland every single day of the year. It's the country I was born in and lived all my life in growing up. The country that I support on sporting occasions. If I wasn't chosen for Scotland then so be it but I wouldn't be open for selection for those other 3 eligible nations if I was apporached to represent them. I have no attachment to them, just that they are in my heritage.

Therefore I don't really blame Elliot Anderson at all if he deep down wants to represent England over Scotland. It's the country of his birth. The one that he is going to feel the most attached to.

When you put it like that, I'd play for any of the other three. 

4 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

Which is fair enough. But Anderson played for Scotland youth teams for years, accepted a call-up to the senior squad with some fanfare, turned up for training before apparently making some excuse and disappearing again, seemingly letting the press know that he “didn’t enjoy it”.  That’s the bit that has put people off him a bit. 

On 10/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, adamntg said:

Which is fair enough. But Anderson played for Scotland youth teams for years, accepted a call-up to the senior squad with some fanfare, turned up for training before apparently making some excuse and disappearing again, seemingly letting the press know that he “didn’t enjoy it”.  That’s the bit that has put people off him a bit. 

Yeah, exactly. He’s been a part of the set-up for years - it isn’t as if he had a call-up out of the blue and changed his mind at the last minute.

He clearly thinks he has a chance of breaking into the England squad, but frankly I sort of doubt it given the competition. My prediction is that he won’t get a call-up, he will eventually declare for Scotland, and we’ll duly pick him. A few people will grumble, but as happened with Angus Gunn, after a bit we’ll all forget about it.