Under 18 strikers... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 18 strikers...

Big Ramy 1314

Just seen on Sky Sports Italy have named 16 year old striker who plays fir Barcelona in their upcoming qualifying fixtures.. I have to say if you are good enough, age should not matter. We are doing great, don't get me wrong, but I would get Ben Doak in our senior squad, get him blooded. I love what Clarke has done, but have not seen to many youngsters get a crack. Maybe Billy Gilmour, but we have to start them if they have the talent.. Age means nothing if you can handle it.. Just my opinion.. Any other youngsters you would trust Clarke to bring up.. Honest question.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

6 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just seen on Sky Sports Italy have named 16 year old striker who plays fir Barcelona in their upcoming qualifying fixtures.. I have to say if you are good enough, age should not matter. We are doing great, don't get me wrong, but I would get Ben Doak in our senior squad, get him blooded. I love what Clarke has done, but have not seen to many youngsters get a crack. Maybe Billy Gilmour, but we have to start them if they have the talent.. Age means nothing if you can handle it.. Just my opinion.. Any other youngsters you would trust Clarke to bring up.. Honest question.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

My apologies. Should have worded it better.. Any under 18 players, not just strikers as both Doak and Gilmour are not strikers.. So midfielders, Defenders, Keeper ffs🤣🤣

23 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Not seen many youngsters get a crack? Seriously?

Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson, Ferguson, Porteous and Ramsay have all made their debuts under Clarke. There might be more that have escaped my memory.

Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson and Porteous can all be considered 1st team regular starters now and Ferguson in every squad. All 4 of them were brought in and trusted in important games.

He has also had several younger players in squads and training camps.

Im sure somebody will know the actual figures but we must have one of the youngest squads / starting 11 in our history under Clarke.

There isnt a single young player who deserves to be in Scotland squads since Clarke took over who hasnt been called up and given game time. Not one.

Doak isnt a 1st team player as yet. He will get there I believe and personally I would fast track him once he is back fit and getting games however I have no doubt at all that Clarke will bring him in when the time is right.

I'm not sure who you are talking about here, as far as I am aware there are no 16 year old Italian strikers in either the Barcelona main or youth squads. Are you talking about Giulia Dragoni? She is a 16 year old Italian midfielder that has just been named for their world Cup Squad. Scotland have a 17 year old midfielder who has two starts two goals for the main side so fairly equivalent I would say.

With regards to Doak, he is very close but not quite there mostly due to his very limited gametime. If he played in a weak position, or to be honest in a position that is used in our system at all (i.e. LWF), he might have been called up by now. But he doesn't, so there is no need to rush him.

2 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I'm not sure who you are talking about here, as far as I am aware there are no 16 year old Italian strikers in either the Barcelona main or youth squads. Are you talking about Giulia Dragoni? She is a 16 year old Italian midfielder that has just been named for their world Cup Squad. Scotland have a 17 year old midfielder who has two starts two goals for the main side so fairly equivalent I would say.

With regards to Doak, he is very close but not quite there mostly due to his very limited gametime. If he played in a weak position, or to be honest in a position that is used in our system at all (i.e. LWF), he might have been called up by now. But he doesn't, so there is no need to rush him.

My apologies, maybe it was the Italian Woman's WC squad then.. It happens..

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson, Ferguson, Porteous and Ramsay have all made their debuts under Clarke. There might be more that have escaped my memory.

Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson and Porteous can all be considered 1st team regular starters now and Ferguson in every squad. All 4 of them were brought in and trusted in important games.

Im sure somebody will know the actual figures but we must have one of the youngest squads / starting 11 in our history under Clarke.

There isnt a single young player who deserves to be in Scotland squads since Clarke took over who hasnt been called up and given game time. Not one.

Doak isnt a 1st team player as yet. He will get there I believe and personally I would fast track him once he is back fit and getting games however I have no doubt at all that Clarke will bring him in when the time is right.

The Italian was a woman, I read it wrong on Sky Sports. And your comment, "Am I serious" defo fuckin serious. Ben Doak deserves a crack, not saying 90 minutes, but too many talents over the years have been ignored because they are "too young". Good for Clarke for giving the younger Scots a game, I'm not questioning that. Long may it continue. How old was Micheal Owen, Wayne Rooney, Norman Whiteside? Give the lad the balll and see what he can do... As always, just my humble opinion...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

9 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

The Italian was a woman, I read it wrong on Sky Sports. And your comment, "Am I serious" defo fuckin serious. Ben Doak deserves a crack, not saying 90 minutes, but too many talents over the years have been ignored because they are "too young". Good for Clarke for giving the younger Scots a game, I'm not questioning that. Long may it continue. How old was Micheal Owen, Wayne Rooney, Norman Whiteside? Give the lad the balll and see what he can do... As always, just my humble opinion...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Are you being serious comment was in responce to you saying Clake wasnt giving young players a chance when the complete opposite is true.

The hasnt been a squad where Doak should have been called up and he wasnt. He got injured just before he could reasonably have been considered.

Ive no doubt he is an exciting talent and will make his debut in the coming season. Of course it depends how much game time he can get at Liverpool this season. Ive not seen any talk of him going out on loan. Thankfully Klopp is a manager who is very good at giving youth games.

8 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I don't think he is being ignored because he is too young, I think he hasn't been picked yet because he isn't a first team player for Liverpool and he doesn't fit into our system.

Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney were both playing and scoring regularly in the EPL at very young ages. Owen made his England debut at 18 in a season where he won the golden boot. Rooney made 33 appearances in the EPL the year he turned 16 and another 34 the following year when he made his England debut. If Doak does similar to either of these two this coming year, he will 100% be in our squad.

27 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Are you being serious comment was in responce to you saying Clake wasnt giving young players a chance when the complete opposite is true.

The hasnt been a squad where Doak should have been called up and he wasnt. He got injured just before he could reasonably have been considered.

Ive no doubt he is an exciting talent and will make his debut in the coming season. Of course it depends how much game time he can get at Liverpool this season. Ive not seen any talk of him going out on loan. Thankfully Klopp is a manager who is very good at giving youth games.

Nice one.. Agree.. Apologies for sounding like a know..  👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

28 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I don't think he is being ignored because he is too young, I think he hasn't been picked yet because he isn't a first team player for Liverpool and he doesn't fit into our system.

Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney were both playing and scoring regularly in the EPL at very young ages. Owen made his England debut at 18 in a season where he won the golden boot. Rooney made 33 appearances in the EPL the year he turned 16 and another 34 the following year when he made his England debut. If Doak does similar to either of these two this coming year, he will 100% be in our squad.

Sound..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

For all who visit this thread. I think one of my biggest worries for wanting our young lads blooded is the past.. McGeady, MacCarthy, Micky Johnstone. Football has changed, rules have changed. And to be fair, young players are easily influenced by money, cars, and what not. I hope Ben Doak or any other young Scot is not approached fuckin Ireland or engerland. It just worries me... Cheers. Alba Gu Brath 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

6 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

For all who visit this thread. I think one of my biggest worries for wanting our young lads blooded is the past.. McGeady, MacCarthy, Micky Johnstone. Football has changed, rules have changed. And to be fair, young players are easily influenced by money, cars, and what not. I hope Ben Doak or any other young Scot is not approached fuckin Ireland or engerland. It just worries me... Cheers. Alba Gu Brath 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Im not sure Doak is eligable to play for another country.

McGeady was always going to play for ROI, McCarthy threw dummy out the pram and Johnstone isnt and wouldnt ever be good enough to play for us so opted for a country who would pick him. 

We have much less to fear about players opting for other countrys now than in the past when we werent performing or getting to tournaments. If anything you will probably see an increase in non Scots born players wanting to play for us.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im not sure Doak is eligable to play for another country.

McGeady was always going to play for ROI, McCarthy threw dummy out the pram and Johnstone isnt and wouldnt ever be good enough to play for us so opted for a country who would pick him. 

We have much less to fear about players opting for other countrys now than in the past when we werent performing or getting to tournaments. If anything you will probably see an increase in non Scots born players wanting to play for us.

That's all I want mate..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

David Turnbull was also brought in at a relatively young age. He might have been involved even younger if he didn't get that bad knee injury. Ange has stalled his career progression. Far too good a player to be warming a bench. I can still see him getting back into future squads. Apparently being linked with a move to Norwich. Which wouldn't be a bad move if his time at Celtic is up.

Clarke also brought Fiorini, King and Conway into the last squad for training.

Doak is really the only realistic option that hasn't been involved. If he starts making Liverpool's bench again and getting minutes, then I'd definitely get him in the September squad.

Totally understand you mistaking a football headline as applying to the mens game as presentation of the woman’s game is equal to mens on the Beeb especially. National broadcaster can’t help themselves if there is a Lionesses 🤣game on. I bet the Beeb pay multiple of anything they pay to Scottish football to the England women game. 
this guy Doak will be part of the squad. May have asked b4 , what is the squad number allowed next summer? 

I don’t think it’s correct to say Doak isn’t a Liverpool first team player. He was, then he got injured. I’m fairly sure he’ll be a Scotland player by the end of next season. There’s a chance he could be joined by Rory Wilson if he finds first team football. The two positions we need to reinforce probably have our two most promising players.

We are in a very good position just now. We are on a high with cracking results being strung together as we march towards qualification. That being the case there is no desperation to throw in any players just now until they are fully ready. I was all for Ben Doak getting integrated into the squad and side but now there is no desperation. However, IF we run into big injury issues up front losing Adams and Dykes then he should be called up ahead of the likes of Jacob Brown who he has far more natural talent, potential and pace than. In any case I think you may find if Doak gets more matches for Liverpool he will gradually get integrated into the squad and be a part of our Euro 24 squad if we get there.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t think it’s correct to say Doak isn’t a Liverpool first team player. He was, then he got injured. I’m fairly sure he’ll be a Scotland player by the end of next season. There’s a chance he could be joined by Rory Wilson if he finds first team football. The two positions we need to reinforce probably have our two most promising players.

I could be wrong but has he not only played twice for Liverpools 1st team in competitive games. Once as a sub in the league cup and once in the league.

He then returned to EPL2 which was the level he was playing at when he got injured. 

He has been training with the 1st team for a while and Klopp has said that he plans to integrate him so ive no doubt that he will be a 1st team player however to say that he has been one so far is stretching it.

46 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I could be wrong but has he not only played twice for Liverpools 1st team in competitive games. Once as a sub in the league cup and once in the league.

He then returned to EPL2 which was the level he was playing at when he got injured. 

He has been training with the 1st team for a while and Klopp has said that he plans to integrate him so ive no doubt that he will be a 1st team player however to say that he has been one so far is stretching it.

He’s played in 2 EPL games and 2 FA Cup. He’d need to have trained with the first team a fair bit to do that. Anyway come next summer he’ll be a full first team player for club and country, of that I’ve no doubt. He can make and score goals on his own and that’s probably the one thing we’ve been lacking. He’s 18 in November. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Was it not about this time last year that Klopp played him in a friendly against Milan? Iirc he played very well and either scored or got an assist? Looks like he'll starting this season with similar opportunities. Fingers crossed, he's injury free and bursts onto the scene in time for the upcoming crunch Scotland games. Could make all the difference. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s played in 2 EPL games and 2 FA Cup. He’d need to have trained with the first team a fair bit to do that. Anyway come next summer he’ll be a full first team player for club and country, of that I’ve no doubt. He can make and score goals on his own and that’s probably the one thing we’ve been lacking. He’s 18 in November. 

I believe he has been training with the 1st team for a while along with some other EPL2 players and got some game time in friendlys and done well. Klopps been on record as saying he is excited by Doak so im not trying to say he wont be a star or anything.

I just dont think he can be considered as a 1st team player as yet given he almost exclusively plays for the under 23 team. As you say though, hopefully its irrelevent this year and he gets his chance. He looks like he is the type who will take it.