Season 23/24 - Page 30 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

21 minutes ago, slasher said:

Yeah I saw that m8. Isn’t it some sort of record run outside of the big two? Funnily enough I thought about you when I saw it, hope they keep it going and get that first title win, that would be incredible!

I think you’re right about Clyde, still a lot of work to do but I think they will be ok. I’m looking forward to Cappielow, haven’t been there in years but I hope it’s a few degrees warmer 🤞🏻

As far as I know the 10 wins in a row is a record outwith the big two in the SPFL era. Prior to that Gretna had some epic runs of wins while they were working their way up through the lower leagues back in the day.

Having spent the previous Saturday afternoon (Dec 30) at NDP I understand what you are saying about the cold there ha ha. Enjoy the trip to Cappielow on Saturday.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when I see the Clyde chat, have I mentioned that at the moment they are costing me potentially £440K?!  Put on my usual accumulator for the 8 leagues in Scotland and England.  In 7 of 8 my selection is either 1st or 2nd.  Except Clyde.  Who are last.  Stone last.  I'm sure they can make up the 34 point gap in the second half of the season! 😪

On 1/6/2024 at 7:14 PM, slasher said:

Made it over to Hamilton today to see the famous Bully Wee record a rare win. A barnstormer of a first half trumped a second half fight back from Bonnyrigg. Pints taken before and after in the legendary Academical Vaults made for a pleasant afternoon despite the biting cold! 👍

I was there also Slasher, If I knew you where going I would have introduced myself !!

That first half was the best we (Clyde) have played all season by a long way, (that third goal scored by a premier league team and it's making the back pages)

We now have let go 7 duds (sorry lads you where too young and signed by an uninterested twat), and have brought in 3 league 1 (minimum) standard players with at least another 3 to come in during this window.

I'm confident we will slowly climb the league and avoid oblivion, with Ian McColl in charge I would put money on us getting promotion next season, he really is a manager operating below his level, after decades of Clyde having no money to piss in a pot, we now have a money man (apparently a lifelong Clyde fan) who is prepared to back the club financially (with caveats, being Championship within 5 - 7 years and a return to Glasgow)

Was good work persuading Ian McColl to join,  Looking forward to the Aberdeen cup game (even managed to talk my Celtic daft son into buying a ticket also 😀)

Should be a cracking atmosphere - allocation split is Clyde 2200 & Aberdeen 3800 (i'm pretty sure they will sell at least 2000) as would probably sell out completely if it was on the Saturday as apposed to the Friday night

Come Away The Clyde !!!!!

1 hour ago, glasgow jock said:

I was there also Slasher, If I knew you where going I would have introduced myself !!

That first half was the best we (Clyde) have played all season by a long way, (that third goal scored by a premier league team and it's making the back pages)

We now have let go 7 duds (sorry lads you where too young and signed by an uninterested twat), and have brought in 3 league 1 (minimum) standard players with at least another 3 to come in during this window.

I'm confident we will slowly climb the league and avoid oblivion, with Ian McColl in charge I would put money on us getting promotion next season, he really is a manager operating below his level, after decades of Clyde having no money to piss in a pot, we now have a money man (apparently a lifelong Clyde fan) who is prepared to back the club financially (with caveats, being Championship within 5 - 7 years and a return to Glasgow)

Was good work persuading Ian McColl to join,  Looking forward to the Aberdeen cup game (even managed to talk my Celtic daft son into buying a ticket also 😀)

Should be a cracking atmosphere - allocation split is Clyde 2200 & Aberdeen 3800 (i'm pretty sure they will sell at least 2000) as would probably sell out completely if it was on the Saturday as apposed to the Friday night

Come Away The Clyde !!!!!

Aye, the third goal was an absolute peach 👍 I think McCall will have them roaring up the table in no time.

I’m hoping to be at the cup tie as well m8 but I’ll be travelling with some of the flock so tickets will likely be in the away end but it’s not definite yet.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Just when I see the Clyde chat, have I mentioned that at the moment they are costing me potentially £440K?!  Put on my usual accumulator for the 8 leagues in Scotland and England.  In 7 of 8 my selection is either 1st or 2nd.  Except Clyde.  Who are last.  Stone last.  I'm sure they can make up the 34 point gap in the second half of the season! 😪

Maybe they’ll go in a ‘Stenny’ type run.

Reminds me of a mad coupon I put on years ago. I’d had one up but half the games had been postponed so I only got about a tenner back. I decided to let it ride on the old 3 from each section the following weekend which happened to be FA cup 3rd round. With the clock ticking down all my games were up and I was in line for well over a hundred grand. Cue the old Grandstand cutting to a penalty at Leyton Orient vs West Ham. I had the hammers on my coupon and they were 1-0 up……. 
unfortunately the pen was for Orient and the feckers scored it to force a replay 🙈

Ive never forgiven West Ham or Leyton Orient for it. Didn’t put another coupon on for years after it either 😂

50 minutes ago, slasher said:

Maybe they’ll go in a ‘Stenny’ type run.

Reminds me of a mad coupon I put on years ago. I’d had one up but half the games had been postponed so I only got about a tenner back. I decided to let it ride on the old 3 from each section the following weekend which happened to be FA cup 3rd round. With the clock ticking down all my games were up and I was in line for well over a hundred grand. Cue the old Grandstand cutting to a penalty at Leyton Orient vs West Ham. I had the hammers on my coupon and they were 1-0 up……. 
unfortunately the pen was for Orient and the feckers scored it to force a replay 🙈

Ive never forgiven West Ham or Leyton Orient for it. Didn’t put another coupon on for years after it either 😂

Jesus.  Don't think I've ever hit the crossbar like that.  One of my second place teams is Rangers so it probably won't come in anyway but I'll continue to blame Clyde!

Last Saturday I had a 10 games Goals Galore on.  With about 5 minutes to go I needed 4 teams to score so thought it was pretty much done.  Went to the toilet and when I was standing at the bar noticed 2 of the 4 had scored.  By the time I got back to my seat Clyde (ironically!) had scored so was only waiting on Everton.  Cash out at that point was over 200 quid but as it paid closer to 1800 and there were 9 minutes injury time I let it ride and obviously Everton didn't score!  Watched MOTD the next morning and noted that DCL rattled the post from about 35 yards which didn't make me feel any better!

19 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Jesus.  Don't think I've ever hit the crossbar like that.  One of my second place teams is Rangers so it probably won't come in anyway but I'll continue to blame Clyde!

Last Saturday I had a 10 games Goals Galore on.  With about 5 minutes to go I needed 4 teams to score so thought it was pretty much done.  Went to the toilet and when I was standing at the bar noticed 2 of the 4 had scored.  By the time I got back to my seat Clyde (ironically!) had scored so was only waiting on Everton.  Cash out at that point was over 200 quid but as it paid closer to 1800 and there were 9 minutes injury time I let it ride and obviously Everton didn't score!  Watched MOTD the next morning and noted that DCL rattled the post from about 35 yards which didn't make me feel any better!

Frank McAvennie was in that West Ham team. I’m going to a fundraiser next weekend and he’s going to be there. Most people will be softballing him questions like ‘what was your favourite goal?’ etc. I on the other hand will be demanding explanations on the Leyton Orient debacle! 😂

Edinburgh City are 60/1 (paddy power) today against Falkirk, don’t think iv ever seen a price that big for a home team playing someone from their own league. Form doesn’t point to an upset but it’s a funny old game etc….

15 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Edinburgh City are 60/1 (paddy power) today against Falkirk, don’t think iv ever seen a price that big for a home team playing someone from their own league. Form doesn’t point to an upset but it’s a funny old game etc….

Noticed they were 45/1 v Access recently. Thought it was worth a fiver.

They were 5-0 down in 20 minutes.

Never seen prices like it. Assume Edinburgh City are on the brink of going out of business.

Edited by Och Aye

On 1/9/2024 at 12:59 PM, slasher said:

Frank McAvennie was in that West Ham team. I’m going to a fundraiser next weekend and he’s going to be there. Most people will be softballing him questions like ‘what was your favourite goal?’ etc. I on the other hand will be demanding explanations on the Leyton Orient debacle! 😂

He's surprisingly quite a nervous speaker. Spoke to him after he spoke at a relatively small event and he kept saying, was I ok up there, was I really alright, etc. 

Kept assuring him he was really entertaining.

1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

He's surprisingly quite a nervous speaker. Spoke to him after he spoke at a relatively small event and he kept saying, was I ok up there, was I really alright, etc. 

Probably because most people expect him to be Jonathan Watsons character

4 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Cocaine makes you paranoid! 

On 1/9/2024 at 12:59 PM, slasher said:

What was that ?

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

1 up 😮🤞🤞🤞

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

I really wish I’d read this earlier! 

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

What was that ?

Read the posts above you’ll get the gist of it.

8 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Lovely day for a game of football.

Cue the snow when the SPL returns.

I can confirm it was pretty chilly in Greenock today.

Thistle didn’t really turn up until a couple of late subs sparked them into life and they equalised shortly after. Cue lots of shouting, bickering, tasty tackles and penalty claims but no winner. There was a bit too much hoofball for my liking which I found strange as both teams looked better when the they got it down and built the game. I was driving this time so didn’t get to sample any pre/post match atmosphere. All in all though a decent way to spend a couple of hours.

Next stop, back to NDP for the big Friday night cup tie. I’m getting a lift there and back so will have a few in whatever boozer is letting the sheep in. Friday night is a dead loss in Hamilton these days so I would have thought the boozers would be glad of the business but who knows. If Clyde score I’ll need to bite my tongue!