Germany 24...too soon? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany 24...too soon?

C Mc

11 hours ago, stitch said:

We are thinking of hiring a campavan, anyone done this before? Looking for some ideas on cost. There are 5 of us and looking at going for 2 weeks. I have been told that insurance is expensive especially if going abroad. 

11 hours ago, stocky said:

That's the way we plan to do it.

That's how we went to Paris for faddys game....

Campervan insurance for Europe is usually included in your annual quote.

Rac cover is about:120 quid 

I own a campervan and am off to Italy next week.

i don't know how much it would cost if you hired one , different rules I presume...

We are £1410 for 9 nights hire for a 7 berth from Goexplorescotland including insurance. However they have a damage deposit of £1500 at time of hire. They still have a few you can hire and initial deposit is £200. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, Mazziessc said:

Had A little look myself using an estimate of our potential points total should we qualify (14-17 IMHO) and put that against UEFA's qualifying format. Last tournament, 14-17 was good enough for pot 2. Pot 2 teams are drawn to fixtures with teams ending in 2. (A2, B2, C2 etc)

If (like me) base your travel plans around us being in pot 2 you can eliminate half of the group games from the planner. 

https://editorial.uefa.com//resources/027e-1753eecb48d2-04f1dbac92e2-1000/euro_2024_match_schedule.pdf

Copied that over from my post in the general travel. 

The pot 2 side is not necessarily allocated to the place of A2, B2 etc.

For example in euro 2020 these were the pot 2 sides and where they were allocated within their groups.

France - F3
Poland - E3
Switzerland - A4
Croatia - D2
Netherlands - C1
Russia - B4

Same happens for UEFA club competition draws too.

24 minutes ago, Barry89 said:

For example in euro 2020 these were the pot 2 sides and where they were allocated within their groups.

France - F3
Poland - E3
Switzerland - A4
Croatia - D2
Netherlands - C1
Russia - B4

Thats not how it reads this year based on the listings here under overall ranking. Teams 1st to 5th will be pot 1 along with Germany already allocated to Group A team 1. Teams 6th to 11th pot 2 and so forth. The exception being pot 4 which the playoff winners enter the last three spots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying

Edited by Mazziessc

Article 12 Competition stages and seeding

Matches in all stages of the competition are played in conformity with the IFAB Laws of the Game. The half-time interval lasts 15 minutes.

The competition stages are as follows:

1. Qualifying competition (European Qualifiers), composed of:

• group stage;

• play-offs.

2. Final tournament (UEFA EURO 2024), composed of:

• group stage;

• knockout stage.

The team of the final tournament host association, Germany, qualifies automatically for the final tournament. The remaining teams are drawn into ten groups of five and six teams.

For the qualifying group stage draw, the UEFA administration seeds the teams in accordance with their results in the latest edition of the UEFA Nations League.

For the final tournament draw, the UEFA administration seeds the teams in accordance with their results in the qualifying group stage. The team of the host association, Germany, is seeded in pot 1.

13 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Thats not how it reads this year based on the listings here under overall ranking. Teams 1st to 5th will be pot 1 along with Germany already allocated to Group A team 1. Teams 6th to 11th pot 2 and so forth. The exception being pot 4 which the playoff winners enter the last three spots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying

That just tells you what pot they'll be in for the draw, not which spot in the group they'll be allocated to once they are drawn out. If you've watched any recent UEFA group stage draw for the euros, Champions League, Europa League or Conference League you'll see they draw the team out and then do a further draw to allocate them to spot 1, 2, 3 or 4 in the group. Euro 2016 assigned pot 1 teams to A1, B1, C1 etc but still randomly allocated 2nd, 3rd and 4th seeds to spots 2, 3 and 4. Germany are A1 as the hosts, nothing else has been confirmed and you can't rule out any venues based on pots alone.

2 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

For the final tournament draw, the UEFA administration seeds the teams in accordance with their results in the qualifying group stage. The team of the host association, Germany, is seeded in pot 1.

Again all this tells you is that how they'll allocate teams to each pot, not that for example team B2 will be the 2nd seeded side.

3 minutes ago, Barry89 said:

That just tells you what pot they'll be in for the draw, not which spot in the group they'll be allocated to once they are drawn out. If you've watched any recent UEFA group stage draw for the euros, Champions League, Europa League or Conference League you'll see they draw the team out and then do a further draw to allocate them to spot 1, 2, 3 or 4 in the group. Euro 2016 assigned pot 1 teams to A1, B1, C1 etc but still randomly allocated 2nd, 3rd and 4th seeds to spots 2, 3 and 4. Germany are A1 as the hosts, nothing else has been confirmed and you can't rule out any venues based on pots alone.

Again all this tells you is that how they'll allocate teams to each pot, not that for example team B2 will be the 2nd seeded side.

Correct and I've never said they would. Teams 6-11 will be in any group position 2. Why I originally said Hamburg are the only venue on match day 2 who host 2 such games.

53 minutes ago, Barry89 said:

France - F3
Poland - E3
Switzerland - A4
Croatia - D2
Netherlands - C1
Russia - B4

God that's annoying...

2 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Correct and I've never said they would. Teams 6-11 will be in any group position 2. Why I originally said Hamburg are the only venue on match day 2 who host 2 such games.

Teams 6-11 will not necessarily be in group position 2 though. If Scotland are 2nd seeds and then drawn into group B for example then during the draw there'll be a further set of balls drawn from which decides their group position, they could end up being B2 but they are just as likely to end up as B4.

41 minutes ago, Barry89 said:

Teams 6-11 will not necessarily be in group position 2 though. If Scotland are 2nd seeds and then drawn into group B for example then during the draw there'll be a further set of balls drawn from which decides their group position, they could end up being B2 but they are just as likely to end up as B4.

Thanks Barry, that's very useful information. I wasn't aware that was how they did it, as I haven't watched any draws live recently. I'm not sure Mazzie has quite grasped what you are telling us yet, but I'm sure the penny will drop soon. 🤣

Just to confirm what I was saying about the draw and how the 2nd seed won't necessarily be in position A2, B2 etc UEFA have confirmed the process today.

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0282-185b758ac450-55e5038c97ad-1000/uefa_euro_2024_final_draw_procedure.pdf

Apart from the four pots 1, 2, 3 and 4 which contain the balls with the 23 teams that enter the draw, six
pots A, B, C, D, E and F are required to draw the respective team’s position in each group.

Pots B-F contain four balls each to represent the positions available in each group (e.g. B1, B2, B3 and
B4). Pot A contains three balls for the available positions A2, A3 and A4 in group A, since Germany will
occupy position A1.

The draw starts with pot 1. The first team from pot 1 is drawn and assigned to the first-available group in
alphabetical order (group B in this case). To determine the position of the team within the drawn group, a
ball is subsequently drawn from the relevant bowl (pot B in this case) containing the group positions.

The next team is drawn to be assigned to the next available group in alphabetical order. Again, a ball is
drawn from the associated pot with the group positions. The same procedure is repeated, until one team
from Pot 1 has been assigned to every group B to F, and a group position has been assigned to every
team.

Once Pot 1 has been emptied, the draw continues with Pot 2 in the same fashion (i.e. until one team from
Pot 2 has been assigned to every group A to F), then Pot 3 and concludes with Pot 4.

5 minutes ago, From_Dundee_to_Ancoats said:

Loads of flights gone on from English airports.

Booked London-Munich 14th £48 will have a night in Munich to soak up build up to opening game, then make way down to where based.

You do realise we haven't qualifiied yet?. Will be devastated if we don't... but stranger things have happened. 

16 hours ago, thesaint said:

You do realise we haven't qualifiied yet?. Will be devastated if we don't... but stranger things have happened. 

20 quid bet on Georgia or Norway to qualify should cover the cost of flights if it goes tits up 😁

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

20 quid bet on Georgia or Norway to qualify should cover the cost of flights if it goes tits up 😁

£20 on Norway wins you £50. 

I'm not flying with your airline. 

They probably have a playoff to look forward to

Bookies reckon we will muck this up one time in seven

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

£20 on Norway wins you £50. 

I'm not flying with your airline. 

They probably have a playoff to look forward to

Bookies reckon we will muck this up one time in seven

I paid under £50 for my flights to and from Belgium a few years ago. The takeoff going out was aborted and everyone on board just about shat themselves and then there was a 5 hour delay right enough.

Good old Ryanair.  

Lufthansa flights direct to Frankfurt from Edinburgh or Glasgow are becoming available right now if anyone is still going to take a punt......I have!!!

Today, flights are available up to and including Thursday 27th June which is the Rest Day between Group Games and KO's.

1st flight to Frankfurt on 19th June allows you to get to any game on 19th June (Start of the 2nd Games in Groups).

Last Flight Back on 27th June, allows you to travel back to Frankfurt from any game that took place on the 26th (The last Group Games).

If you wanted to add unlimited Train Travel when there, 7 Days cost you around 280€, or, 220€ if under 27 Years Old. That is a phenomenal option for anybody who wants to hit a Match Day City every single day!

13 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Lufthansa flights direct to Frankfurt from Edinburgh or Glasgow are becoming available right now if anyone is still going to take a punt......I have!!!

Today, flights are available up to and including Thursday 27th June which is the Rest Day between Group Games and KO's.

1st flight to Frankfurt on 19th June allows you to get to any game on 19th June (Start of the 2nd Games in Groups).

Last Flight Back on 27th June, allows you to travel back to Frankfurt from any game that took place on the 26th (The last Group Games).

If you wanted to add unlimited Train Travel when there, 7 Days cost you around 280€, or, 220€ if under 27 Years Old. That is a phenomenal option for anybody who wants to hit a Match Day City every single day!

I booked something similar the other day. Only issue with travelling on a potential match day is the distance to some of the venues. I’m taking a chance we don’t play in Hamburg on the 19th. 

13 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

What kind of prices are the flights?

Obv seeing Scotland in a Finals would be a Bucket List for me! I prey they make it.

But yeah, It will be an immense trip anyway. I was in Germany for the WC in 2006. The buzz around the place was extraordinary!

I was limited to Frankfurt as my German friends live around there. But, it is a very cool place to be if anybody is looking for a base. The big Market that they have twice a week is phenomenal! Best place for a few Beers in Frankfurt!

6 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Obv seeing Scotland in a Finals would be a Bucket List for me! I prey they make it.

But yeah, It will be an immense trip anyway. I was in Germany for the WC in 2006. The buzz around the place was extraordinary!

I was limited to Frankfurt as my German friends live around there. But, it is a very cool place to be if anybody is looking for a base. The big Market that they have twice a week is phenomenal! Best place for a few Beers in Frankfurt!

Didn’t you tick that off your bucket list in 2021?

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Really wasn't the same. 

Maybe not but we still appeared at a major finals  

Next year should certainly be a different (and better) experience for anyone who hasn’t been to a tournament based in one country before. If we qualify of course. 

On 6/30/2023 at 9:41 PM, Texas Pete said:

I paid under £50 for my flights to and from Belgium a few years ago. The takeoff going out was aborted and everyone on board just about shat themselves and then there was a 5 hour delay right enough.

Good old Ryanair.  

I remember that flight from Manchester fondly !