Norway v Scotland - match day thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway v Scotland - match day thread

romanticscot

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fuk me when did i say that? All i expect is a little honesty about how we performed.

If i asked you about our performance before the first goal went in how would you have answered it?

Try and be honest.

I was raging with our performance prior to our first goal. I doubt anybody on here would say different if they were being brutally honest with themselves. We played poorly but managed to knick a couple of goals. Nothing wrong with that but just be honest about it. 

No ones happier than me at the result.

I‘m sure this isn’t true but you kinda come across as someone who doesn’t know that much about football. 

We were the away team and a win was not essential for us. Our performance was certainly not pretty to watch but all we were there to do was to stop Norway winning. It almost went tits up but it didn’t so happy days. 

It wasn’t a fantastic, attacking performance but you get different types of good performance. It was a solid defensive performance. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Were you happy with the performance prior to the first goal?

Do you think we played well up until that point?

Read my other replies to your earlier posts. 

We weren’t fantastic but neither were Norway. Big difference is Norway needed a big performance and result and we didn’t. 

If the game was at Hampden and we had played like that I would have been disappointed but the fact is we weren’t playing at Hampden. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I‘m sure this isn’t true but you kinda come across as someone who doesn’t know that much about football. 

We were the away team and a win was not essential for us. Our performance was certainly not pretty to watch but all we were there to do was to stop Norway winning. It almost went tits up but it didn’t so happy days. 

It wasn’t a fantastic, attacking performance but you get different types of good performance. It was a solid defensive performance. 

Just answer the question truthfully. 

Were you happy with the performance before the first goal and did you feel we played well before the first goal went in?

Yes or no?

I love that we won the game but its an eye opener on here that many ppl cant acknowledge that we played poorly and didnt deserve the victory.

Personally i have higher standards than that and i try not to bullshit myself. I find that its counter productive not to be brutally honest with myself.

I have been following football my whole life and i am willing to bet i know more than most about the sport but if you want to hide behind the "you dont know football" bullshit then fair enough.

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Were you happy with the performance before the first goal and did you feel we played well before the first goal went in?

Yes or no?

I love that we won the game but its an eye opener on here that many ppl cant acknowledge that we played poorly and didnt deserve the victory.

Personally i have higher standards than that and i try not to bullshit myself. I find that its counter productive not to be brutally honest with myself.

I have been following football my whole life and i am willing to bet i know more than most about the sport but if you want to hide behind the "you dont know football" bullshit then fair enough.

Yes, I was happy with the performance prior to the Norway goal. I wasn’t particularly happy with our performance between then and our first goal. I was also disappointed with Clarke’s choice of subs but it turns out I was wrong about that. 

I understand that it takes a different type of performance to win away from home against a team of a similar standard to our own. Do you? 

Did you think we were going to come out all guns blazing in that game? That would likely been disastrous. 

Following football and actually understanding it are two completely different things. I actually don’t think you are clueless about football (based on what I have seen you say on here before) but some of your comments tonight are questionable. 

I think you really need to look at the following:

How many shots did on target did Norway have? 

How many corners did Norway have?

How many goals did Norway score? 

Were we slightly fortunate to win yesterday? Possibly but I don’t think we deserved to lose. Norway would have been lucky if they had won. Just my opinion of course. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fuk me when did i say that? All i expect is a little honesty about how we performed.

If i asked you about our performance before the first goal went in how would you have answered it?

Try and be honest.

I was raging with our performance prior to our first goal. I doubt anybody on here would say different if they were being brutally honest with themselves. We played poorly but managed to knick a couple of goals. Nothing wrong with that but just be honest about it. 

No ones happier than me at the result.

Saying we managed to knick a couple of goals is a weird term, as if scoring 2 late goals is somehow less impressive than say the goals against Spain. 

The second goal especially was well worked and the team sensed that Norway were vulnerable, how often would a Scotland team sit back and protect the point in that scenario instead. Or worse, not even score at all. The first goal was a good move from the back even if we needed the error.  

I wasn’t happy with how we attacked for the majority of the game but that’s football sometimes. 

Its a funny game, Spain could have scored a few times before half time and that game could have been a lot different.

Edited by ParisInAKilt

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yes or no?

I hope your enjoying.your self righteous smug world while the rest of us enjoy our best start to a qualifying campaign ever

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You think we deserved the victory?

Yes I do.

Norway certainly did not deserve it the way they defended. We largely shut out out the best striker in the world which is a great feat and limited them to half chances in a match played in searing heat at the end of a long season in June anotger great acheivement. And we scored the goal of the night to win the game when we could have sat back and settled for the draw. The way I saw it we played the better football without creating much and without playing at our best so yes we deserved it as Norway did not for such awful defending.

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Plain and simply anyone watching that today not realising we're the better side by miles knows fuck all about football!

Spot on. Not once did Norway cut us open with an incisive attack. We did it a couple of times that I recall and you always felt there was more in the tank from us. Anyone saying Norway deserved to win on the back of a soft defending and nightmare defending is clueless.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

We hardly created a chance all night until the first goal(which we arguably didnt even create). I could maybe stretch to a draw but we really didnt deserve a victory.

If you have watched that game tonight and cant acknowledge the huge amount of luck we got then you need to put the pint down and take off the tartan specs. 

Theres nothing wrong with being lucky but at least acknowledge it.

How’s that different from Norway? They were fucking shit.

Think it was Texas Pete who said the same but I was happy with how things were going and how we were containing them for the first hour. Sure we did not xreate much but neither did they. At no point was it backs to tge walls stuff for us.

After they scored obviously your outlook changes. I became more anxious to see more attacking from us but we still had to be wary of Haaland. That is a difficult balance to make.. 

Once we really pressed once the threat of Haaland left the pitch Norway crumbled. Our winning goal was meritous of winning any game. Good build-up and great execution.

We won when other Scots teams would not or even half decent ones would have settled for the draw late on and all that in baking hot conditions.

Defensively, we were solid and that stifled us attacking-wise but to show the character and mentality to switch up and turn defeat into victory in the last few minutes is the traits of a top side.

On a side not another incentive for us to keep pressing on in this group is that the more points we qualify with the higher we will be seeded as UEFA no longer use co-efficients for seeding. They seed on the basis of points amassed in qualifying. Therefore, at present, we are in the race to be top seeds.

The concept of "deserving" a win is part of the problem in these arguments. What does it actually mean?

Someone might deserve to be in the squad or might deserve to be sent off - these are cases where it involves human judgement, weighing up merit that they allocated. It would make sense if the game was decided on points by judges. But it isn't.

If Italy or Germany had won 1-2 like that people would say they had set up for a draw, but when going behind, changed things around and had the determination to keep going. They would call it a professional performance, sending the fans home happy. 

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Come on tae fuck guys. We hardly got out of our own half most of the game. We were terrible most of the match. Fair play we pulled out a great result but it was a tough watch at times. Norway dominated large spells. 

I love that we won, but i am able to admit the truth that we we played poorly for most of the match. 

If you want to delude yourself fair enough but dont criticize me for not deluding myself.

For me the game plan was obvious - keep it 0-0, frustrate them and with the heat try to pinch it in the last 20 minutes especially as our bench is stronger than theirs.  Up until Haaland fell on his arse it had 0-1 written all over it.

It wasn't a great watch but the tactics were being executed almost to perfection as they needed to win and were absolutely toiling.

Aside from their two obvious superstars genuinely thought they were a very limited side and we were collectively a much stronger unit

Subbing Haaland was suicidal and as soon as that happened was convinced we weren't losing.  

Edited by ThistleWhistle

Few half chances but didn’t think they looked all that dangerous, you can see why recent results haven’t been that impressive for them. 

We’d still love to have the individual quality of Haaland and Odegaard but not at the expense of a balanced squad. 

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol come on guys. There was a huge amount of luck there. Especially the first goal. We hardly created a chance all night. 

It was a great win but we got lucky to a certain extent.

There wasn’t any luck wi the goal, what there was was shite defending and great desire from Dykes 👍

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

On a side not another incentive for us to keep pressing on in this group is that the more points we qualify with the higher we will be seeded as UEFA no longer use co-efficients for seeding. They seed on the basis of points amassed in qualifying. Therefore, at present, we are in the race to be top seeds.

Yep, the best 5 ranked group winners (plus Germany) will be top seeds for the finals draw.