King Chucky's Big Corrie Do - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

King Chucky's Big Corrie Do

5 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

I don't know what Albas position is, but they're not the government. 

The horses aren't going to vote for independence anyway, now is the time more than ever for Scotland to move away from the rancid institution if the monarchy. 

Young people overwhelmingly support the abolition of the monarchy and it's about time our politicians reflected that. Humza Youseff choosing to attend the coronation rather than an independent rally tells me all I need to know about him and his aspirations

I don't know how to make this any clearer however there is currently NO mainstream party in Scotland, that has aspirations of being in Government, that will have abolishing the monarchy in it's Manifesto

Why ?  Because in recent polling 42% of Scots support keeping it and 29% dont - the rest don't care either way therefore a vote loser

With those numbers it would be madness for a party to run with that at an election or referendum

Also no Independence party is likely to even have a referendum on the monarchy in their manifesto until Scotland is Independent

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

If have no idea what the UK as a whole was like last coronation, no idea what Scotland was like but from what I've seen there is complete indifference judging by the lack of union flags and lack of shop widow displays. I do remember the Golden jubilee back in the 70s and the Platinum Jubilee last year and there did seem to be much more royal related stuff being displayed both in businesses and in people's homes.

I missed the actual march earlier but walked from Central station to Glasgow green just after 1 and apart from a few obligatory union jacks in the station did not see one flag anywhere and I walked via George square then back along Argyle St. Just on the train now . Its like a normal Saturday. I love Glasgow. Apart from the rain got bloody soaked 🥶

13 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I don't know how to make this any clearer however there is currently NO mainstream party in Scotland, that has aspirations of being in Government, that will have abolishing the monarchy in it's Manifesto

Why ?  Because in recent polling 42% of Scots support keeping it and 29% dont - the rest don't care either way therefore a vote loser

With those numbers it would be madness for a party to run with that at an election or referendum

Also no Independence party is likely to even have a referendum on the monarchy in their manifesto until Scotland is Independent

I looked up Albas position, they support a republic of Scotland. Good. Pretty sure the Greens support a republic too, it's the SNP who are behind the curve 

I don't know how I can make this any clearer, millennials and Gen Z do not support the monarchy and that is the direction of travel going forward. In addition whatever happend to having a principled position of being opposed to having a fascist, hereditary system of government? People are literally being arrested for holding up signs

If the SNP don't have enough backbone to support republicanism then they will never have enough backbone to get us independence. That's the goal isn't it?

Edited by Freeedom

49 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I missed the actual march earlier but walked from Central station to Glasgow green just after 1 and apart from a few obligatory union jacks in the station did not see one flag anywhere and I walked via George square then back along Argyle St. Just on the train now . Its like a normal Saturday. I love Glasgow. Apart from the rain got bloody soaked 🥶

Woodlands Rd, someone was blasting oot Jerusalem from their flat 😅

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Walked down Sauchiehall St., the only coronation themed display was in Holland & Barrett. Farrow & Ball on the Great Western Road was shut to mark the coronation but that was about it.

1 hour ago, Freeedom said:

I looked up Albas position, they support a republic of Scotland. Good. Pretty sure the Greens support a republic too, it's the SNP who are behind the curve 

I don't know how I can make this any clearer, millennials and Gen Z do not support the monarchy and that is the direction of travel going forward. In addition whatever happend to having a principled position of being opposed to having a fascist, hereditary system of government? People are literally being arrested for holding up signs

If the SNP don't have enough backbone to support republicanism then they will never have enough backbone to get us independence. That's the goal isn't it?

Neither the Greens or Alba are likely to be in control at Holyrood along with the SSP, ISP etc

When you have no chance of being in power you can put any old shit in your manifesto

24 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Woodlands Rd, someone was blasting oot Jerusalem from their flat 😅

Oh what a surprise 😂 Though its quite a result if that is the only celebration of imperialism you stumbled upon in the West End. 
Not a UJ in the whole  of Glasgow and I come home to our neighbours across the road with bunting round their hedge. On the plus side our hedge is taller than theirs 😁

Did you stay for the speakers ? I thought they were pretty good though it really was absolutely chucking it down . Lesley Riddoch is fantastic. The one thing every single speaker said was that the biggest hurdle was our own internal division , and they are right. 
There was a welfare guy came on just before I left. It was his first major speech. A total anti monarchy rant .  ‘Imbecile that married his horse’ was the takeaway line for me 😂

28 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Walked down Sauchiehall St., the only coronation themed display was in Holland & Barrett. Farrow & Ball on the Great Western Road was shut to mark the coronation but that was about it.

It would be quite ironic if someone painted FUCK THE MONARCHY on Farrow and Balls windows. Not that I am condoning that in any way of course 😁

12 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

‘Imbecile that married his horse’ was the takeaway line for me 😂

was that not Caligula ?

12 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Oh what a surprise 😂 Though its quite a result if that is the only celebration of imperialism you stumbled upon in the West End. 
Not a UJ in the whole  of Glasgow and I come home to our neighbours across the road with bunting round their hedge. On the plus side our hedge is taller than theirs 😁

Did you stay for the speakers ? I thought they were pretty good though it really was absolutely chucking it down . Lesley Riddoch is fantastic. The one thing every single speaker said was that the biggest hurdle was our own internal division , and they are right. 
There was a welfare guy came on just before I left. It was his first major speech. A total anti monarchy rant .  ‘Imbecile that married his horse’ was the takeaway line for me 😂

We donnered back to the pub when the PA went down and fortunately just missed the rain, pity as haven't seen rantum scantum for a while.

9 minutes ago, bonzo said:

We donnered back to the pub when the PA went down and fortunately just missed the rain, pity as haven't seen rantum scantum for a while.

The music was actually pretty good. I liked the group with the female singer, and a group with older folk were on when i left who were ok too. Better weather would have made a big difference..

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Neither the Greens or Alba are likely to be in control at Holyrood along with the SSP, ISP etc

When you have no chance of being in power you can put any old shit in your manifesto

Any old shit? Supporting a republic is not "any old shit" you complete plank. 

Just now, Freeedom said:

Any old shit? Supporting a republic is not "any old shit" you complete plank. 

The only complete plank is you for being as thick as shit when it comes to political reality

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The only complete plank is you for being as thick as shit when it comes to political reality

I don't know what political reality you live in but the monarchy is not popular in Scotland. Principles also matter.

Off your knees

Edited by Freeedom

11 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

I don't know what political reality you live in but the monarchy is not popular in Scotland. Principles also matter.

Off your knees

I am a republican champ

The monarchy might not be as popular in Scotland as it is in England but there is still a significant chunk of people that will not vote for a party that has abolishing it in it's manifesto

Why the fuck do you think Salmond went into the 2014 referendum with retaining it in the white paper ?

That is, sadly, the reality

Independence first - everything else second

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I am a republican champ

The monarchy might not be as popular in Scotland as it is in England but there is still a significant chunk of people that will not vote for a party that has abolishing it in it's manifesto

Why the fuck do you think Salmond went into the 2014 referendum with retaining it in the white paper ?

That is, sadly, the reality

Independence first - everything else second

Sorry, but I hate to inform you that you can't claim to be a republican when you vote for a political party that opposes republicanism. 

This is 2023, 2014 was a long time ago and there has been a big shift in public opinion since then. The over 65s who support the monarchy do not generally support independence or the SNP, so changing policy on the monarchy is going to have a negligible affect for the party on that issue.

More importantly, the trend amongst young people is towards a republic and support for independence.

You are decade behind the times champ

14 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Sorry, but I hate to inform you that you can't claim to be a republican when you vote for a political party that opposes republicanism. 

This is 2023, 2014 was a long time ago and there has been a big shift in public opinion since then. The over 65s who support the monarchy do not generally support independence or the SNP, so changing policy on the monarchy is going to have a negligible affect for the party on that issue.

More importantly, the trend amongst young people is towards a republic and support for independence.

You are decade behind the times champ

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/snp-policy-to-retain-monarchy-helps-boost-independence-support-suggests-john-curtice-3719742

There was a YouGov poll from last year that showed majority of young people wanted to get rid of the monarch in an independent Scotland

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/10/11/do-scots-want-keep-monarchy-independent-scotland

The problem is we need to become independent first. We need to win over soft 'no's, everything else can wait. If you're a Republican you're not going to vote for a Unionist candidate because not one of them want to modernise the monarchy, let alone get rid of it.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The one thing every single speaker said was that the biggest hurdle was our own internal division , and they are right. 

...as evidenced by the direction of this very thread just a few posts down! 😄 Two nationalists and republicans calling each other names for not being nationalist or republican enough. What are we like? Own worst enemies.

1 minute ago, duncan II said:

...as evidenced by the direction of this very thread just a few posts down! 😄 Two nationalists and republicans calling each other names for not being nationalist or republican enough. What are we like? Own worst enemies.

Was about to say roughly the same....what chance have we got?

Yes I said on the IndyRef2 thread there are, sadly, too many factions and no united front on independence. Nothing will be achieved as long as that state of affairs exist.

We have Salmond supporters slagging off another independence backing party in the SNP. You have SNP voters slagging off Alba who back independence. And you have many slagging off the Scottish Greens who also back independence.

Basically, the whole independence movement at present is a rabble.

I don't know why any of you are surprised, independence supporters have always disagreed on how and why we get there or what Independence actually means.

It's just been more vitriolic because the SNP have fucked things up so much.

John Curtice is a dick who the BBC like to wheel out now and again, he has no credibility with me.

Have you all been brainwashed somehow into believing that we need to support the monarchy to get our independence? Wake up people... The tide has clearly shifted and will shift more towards republicanism every passing day forward. 

If you want to win independence you need to be bold and this gradualist wishy washy, half in half out nonsense doesn't work.