King Chucky's Big Corrie Do - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

King Chucky's Big Corrie Do

I don't buy the "I can't think of an alternative and don't trust any politicians so what the heck let's keep the outdated, privileged, lottery of birth, toffee-nosed arseholes as our betters forever to rule over us" argument.

we can do better.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, duncan II said:

I don't buy the "I can't think of an alternative and don't trust any politicians so what the heck let's keep the outdated, privileged, lottery of birth, toffee-nosed arseholes as our betters forever to rule over us" argument.

we can do better.

One of the problems with the monarchy is that it sits at the top of but also underpins that whole undemocratic, privileged and entitled class. You're right, we can do so much better. 

11 minutes ago, duncan II said:

we can do better.

I still don’t understand why there has to be an alternative. Why can it not just be a democratically elected PM and nothing else? 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

I still don’t understand why there has to be an alternative. Why can it not just be a democratically elected PM and nothing else? 

Have a look at the SNP's current woes, and consider that it might not be a good idea to invest absolute power in one person (or married couple).

5 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Have a look at the SNP's current woes, and consider that it might not be a good idea to invest absolute power in one person (or married couple).

So what power does the monarch have to get involved in the politics? 

1 minute ago, AlfieMoon said:

So what power does the monarch have to get involved in the politics? 

They don't get involved, but the ultimate authority resides with the monarch/president.

The idea is if the PM (who makes the laws) becomes a tyrannical demagogue, then the president is there to check them.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

we can do better.

Absolutely. Whoever sickens you as an idea for president, you can always vote them out.

And anyway some people argue as if they are iagining a powwerful president like in USA, but it would be a more ceremonial role as in Ireland, say.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

One of the problems with the monarchy is that it sits at the top of but also underpins that whole undemocratic, privileged and entitled class. You're right, we can do so much better. 

Absolutely. Monarchy enables and justifies the very idea of privilege and a stratified society, that some are better, nobler than others, to be bowed and scraped to. It means, well if you accept monarchy, you accept the whole idea of a stratified society. Society may always be unequal, but accepting monarchy means you are not fithgin that inequality, you are accepting it, and thriving on it.

4 minutes ago, exile said:

Absolutely. Whoever sickens you as an idea for president, you can always vote them out.

And anyway some people argue as if they are iagining a powwerful president like in USA, but it would be a more ceremonial role as in Ireland, say.

Absolutely. Monarchy enables and justifies the very idea of privilege and a stratified society, that some are better, nobler than others, to be bowed and scraped to. It means, well if you accept monarchy, you accept the whole idea of a stratified society. Society may always be unequal, but accepting monarchy means you are not fithgin that inequality, you are accepting it, and thriving on it.

Fight inequality, don't meekly accept. You're so right.

As for finding a suitable way of electing a president, give me an afternoon and I could think up a fair way. Let's stop lack of imagination stopping us progressing.

5 minutes ago, exile said:

I totally agree. Have always thought that we can never really crack fairness and equality with the current ruling class, class systems and the figurehead strengthening that in every institution and walk of life in our land. Certainly the case for the UK which is heralded as the ultimate monarchy. 

There are obviously exceptions when you have Scandinavian countries - Denmark, Norway and Sweden - who have managed to crack that balance and deliver admirable social equality. 

Made the mistake of watching the 10 o'clock news, sycophantic monarchism on overdrive. 🤢

Some of these 'members of the public' who think it 'amazing' to be in the presence of another human being.

Charlie boy apparently giving out public announcements on the railway system. 'Mind the Gap' he says, I kid you not. 🙄 

10 hours ago, exile said:

Made the mistake of watching the 10 o'clock news, sycophantic monarchism on overdrive. 🤢

Some of these 'members of the public' who think it 'amazing' to be in the presence of another human being.

Charlie boy apparently giving out public announcements on the railway system. 'Mind the Gap' he says, I kid you not. 🙄 

I switched on sky news this morning🤣🤣🤣 all I could do is laugh at the people who have been there for days. One woman has been there for four days with her one year old kid.

Time to put on a film 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I switched on sky news this morning🤣🤣🤣 all I could do is laugh at the people who have been there for days. One woman has been there for four days with her one year old kid.

Time to put on a film 

Today BBC, Sky and ITV is TV for the brain dead.

47 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

As far as I'm aware SNP party policy is still to sustain the monarchy in an independent Scotland. A party of moderate, subservient careerists will never do what is radical and get us to independence.

This is also Alex Salmond's position and presumably Alba's

More to do with not scaring the horses

It will be a decision for the Scottish people

Mrs.Ramy laying in bed watching this mess. Brought her tae and toast. Caught a quick glimpse on the telly. What a fuckin farce !!! Not my King, get to fuck !!!!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Met Police arresting Republican protesters at Trafalgar Square - photo's of which will probably go around the world

Not a good look for a state pretending not to be facist

Watched his crowning.  But not for me, the stone he was on was stolen from our country and should never have been allowed to go down there. Just going to see my pal Andy Chung around in the Old Port Bar.  Scottish songs only.  Stand on.

If have no idea what the UK as a whole was like last coronation, no idea what Scotland was like but from what I've seen there is complete indifference judging by the lack of union flags and lack of shop widow displays. I do remember the Golden jubilee back in the 70s and the Platinum Jubilee last year and there did seem to be much more royal related stuff being displayed both in businesses and in people's homes.

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

If have no idea what the UK as a whole was like last coronation, no idea what Scotland was like but from what I've seen there is complete indifference judging by the lack of union flags and lack of shop widow displays. I do remember the Golden jubilee back in the 70s and the Platinum Jubilee last year and there did seem to be much more royal related stuff being displayed both in businesses and in people's homes.

If you can remember the seventies it must've been the silver jubilee? 😉

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

This is also Alex Salmond's position and presumably Alba's

More to do with not scaring the horses

It will be a decision for the Scottish people

I don't know what Albas position is, but they're not the government. 

The horses aren't going to vote for independence anyway, now is the time more than ever for Scotland to move away from the rancid institution if the monarchy. 

Young people overwhelmingly support the abolition of the monarchy and it's about time our politicians reflected that. Humza Youseff choosing to attend the coronation rather than an independent rally tells me all I need to know about him and his aspirations