King Chucky's Big Corrie Do - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

King Chucky's Big Corrie Do

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

street party at my bit cancelled 😁

I should go post in the reasons to be cheerful thread 

I don't think the weather's meant to be great on Saturday, I'm taking my waterproofs for the AUOB march.

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I don't think the weather's meant to be great on Saturday, I'm taking my waterproofs for the AUOB march.

The reason is not important.....................its cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Weather is starting to look a wee bit better 🤞

Claim of Right, part of our constitution, Scots are sovereign, not the King. The King serves us and pledges allegiance TO us. The English pledge allegiance to their King. And if we dinnae like whit he's up tae, we can bin him and get oorselves a new yin. 

Saying that, having an unelected head of state who thinks he's there because a god chose him to be, is just silly talk. 
If we HAVE to have a monarchy then it should be for ornamental purposes ONLY. 

Great to see some coverage highlight the complete indifference from other Commonwealth nations.  

I imagine the debate will ramp up more in these countries once the formalities are out of the way. The Queen was popular, The King not anywhere near.

If the commonwealth countries start to turn to republics, maybe it’ll help shame Scotland in some way - realising we are the anomaly, still wanting to be tied to the apron strings. 

On 5/3/2023 at 12:36 PM, TDYER63 said:

Hopefully they lose a fortune on it, supermarkets are ripping us off big time as it is. 

I was talking about the decorations.  From the entrance and on shelves everywhere.  I did notice however that a lot of their coronation stock - T shirts and the like - is on sale half price.  Clearly they don't get Scotland.

7 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I was talking about the decorations.  From the entrance and on shelves everywhere.  I did notice however that a lot of their coronation stock - T shirts and the like - is on sale half price.  Clearly they don't get Scotland.

Ah right, I thought you were meaning the stock. Tbh Morrisons where i shop is a constant fookin UJ extravaganza, I doubt I would notice any difference in Tesco’s Coronation event. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Claim of Right, part of our constitution, Scots are sovereign, not the King. The King serves us and pledges allegiance TO us. The English pledge allegiance to their King. And if we dinnae like whit he's up tae, we can bin him and get oorselves a new yin. 

Do you still believe this fantasy? Even after the supreme court's decision on indyref2?

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Great to see some coverage highlight the complete indifference from other Commonwealth nations.  

I imagine the debate will ramp up more in these countries once the formalities are out of the way. The Queen was popular, The King not anywhere near.

If the commonwealth countries start to turn to republics, maybe it’ll help shame Scotland in some way - realising we are the anomaly, still wanting to be tied to the apron strings. 

This was the topic of conversation with some colleagues today. Most concluded they had respect for the queen and most also concluded Chuck is a douchebag

2 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I had to avert my eyes in Primark today at all the GSTK tshirts on display while trying to get to the socks section.

Note to all Gers fans, they'll be some cheap UJ tshirts next week. 😀 

Magic.  I've got a wedding coming up so will save me getting a suit.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

This was the topic of conversation with some colleagues today. Most concluded they had respect for the queen and most also concluded Chuck is a douchebag

The Queen had more than her fair share of skeletons in her closet. The media liked her, therefore the people respected her...they will do the same with Charles and Camilla, in fact they are already doing so.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The Queen had more than her fair share of skeletons in her closet. The media liked her, therefore the people respected her...they will do the same with Charles and Camilla, in fact they are already doing so.

Couldn’t agree more the media decides who the goodies and the baddies are, can only imagine the amount of shit they’ve covered up for the lizard family 

Can't decide whether to ignore or ridicule Mr Tampon-Aspirant.   

Haven't seen any polling on appetite for monarchy or republic, now would be a good time. 

I'd like to see Brexit supporting Tory MPs who've bleated on so much about Parliamentary Sovereignty get asked about the coronation. Something along the lines of, 'Given that you believe in the sovereignty of Parliament would you have accepted Parliamen's sovereign decision to execute the king?'

One thing I’ve never quite got my head round are the options for post-monarchy republic. 

I grew up simply thinking that you get rid of the monarchy and are left with a PM/FM. The little that I’ve read/heard on republics is that you typically have a President as well as PM. Why? 

58 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

One thing I’ve never quite got my head round are the options for post-monarchy republic. 

I grew up simply thinking that you get rid of the monarchy and are left with a PM/FM. The little that I’ve read/heard on republics is that you typically have a President as well as PM. Why? 

Depends what kind of republic you have. In some like the USA or France the president has political power, in others like Germany they are a token figurehead.

51 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I dont support the monarchy but i'd rather them than an elected head of state.  If it's elected, it's party political.  which i don't like and seems pointless.  

May be wrong but pretty sure there was an election recently in Austria where you had greens up against the far, far right for Chancellor or something.  Why would we want anything like that?

I used to be viscerally anti Royal but i'm less so now.  I wouldn't vote for it, would vote against it in a referendum but I don't hate it either.  I think it could be seen as a quaint tradition that doesn't really make sense.  I'm sure it'll be gone by the end of the century anyway.  

10 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I dont support the monarchy but i'd rather them than an elected head of state.  If it's elected, it's party political.  which i don't like and seems pointless.  

That's not really the case here in Ireland. Yes, it helps a lot to have the backing of a political party (the current guy used to be in the Labour party), but you have non party aligned candidates too. At the last presidential election one of the 'dragons' from Dragon's Den nearly won it.

Their role is mainly ceremonial (although they do set the 'tone' of the nation's politics i suppose), but nobody here really cares what party they're from. They mainly care how good a job they do at shaking the hands of the players at 6 nations games 😄

29 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

That's not really the case here in Ireland. Yes, it helps a lot to have the backing of a political party (the current guy used to be in the Labour party), but you have non party aligned candidates too. At the last presidential election one of the 'dragons' from Dragon's Den nearly won it.

Their role is mainly ceremonial (although they do set the 'tone' of the nation's politics i suppose), but nobody here really cares what party they're from. They mainly care how good a job they do at shaking the hands of the players at 6 nations games 😄

So basically like voting directly for a glorified Lord Provost?