Mcgeady And Mccarthy - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcgeady And Mccarthy

Irishandproud

If Messrs McGeady and McCarthy are to be given pelters at CP - behaviour, if you believe the Daily Record that is endorsed by The Two Gogsies Strachan and McQueen, the will ingerland fans not be justified in 'joining in the fun' on the following Tuesday by dishing up similar to James Morrison to name but one?

They'll be too busy taking the piss about the referendum result ....

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Messrs McGeady and McCarthy are to be given pelters at CP - behaviour, if you believe the Daily Record that is endorsed by The Two Gogsies Strachan and McQueen, the will ingerland fans not be justified in 'joining in the fun' on the following Tuesday by dishing up similar to James Morrison to name but one?

Totally different. England didn't want Morrison. He didn't turn his back on England, they 2 chunts turned their back on us when we wanted them.

Some nonsense comments on here as if the lads somehow defected. Looking at their stats at national level, at what point exactly were they ever committed to the Scottish cause? Where's the problem here? They nailed their colours to the mast early days, so case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Aiden McGeady

National team‡

2004– Republic of Ireland 72 (5)

James McCarthy

National team‡

2007 Republic of Ireland U17 3 (1) 2007–2008 Republic of Ireland U18 2 (2) 2007–2008 Republic of Ireland U19 1 (0) 2008–2012 Republic of Ireland U21 7 (1) 2010– Republic of Ireland 24 (0)

Edited by Banjaxed

Yes they made their choice and yes it was their right to choose to play for Ireland over their own country but they can't then expect to run out in Glasgow and the home support to give them a big cheer. They will be given the reception they deserve. McCarthy at least had the sense to move down to the EPL McGeady thought he should turn his back on his own country and then run out every week for Celtic without the fans voicing their opinion. McGeady and McCarthy will be given abuse I have no doubt about this they made the choice they will have to deal with it.

Only thing that really annoys me is the amount of times people defending their decision try to turn it into a Scottish fans being anti catholic thing, we would of happily seen both pull on the dark blue, we want every Scot who is good enough to to play for us. We must be the only team who manage to get accused of being Pro Protestant/Catholic and anti Protestant/Catholic at the same time. :shocked:

Some nonsense comments on here as if the lads somehow defected. Looking at their stats at national level, at what point exactly were they ever committed to the Scottish cause? Where's the problem here? They nailed their colours to the mast early days, so case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Aiden McGeady

National team‡

2004– Republic of Ireland 72 (5)

James McCarthy

National team‡

2007 Republic of Ireland U17 3 (1) 2007–2008 Republic of Ireland U18 2 (2) 2007–2008 Republic of Ireland U19 1 (0) 2008–2012 Republic of Ireland U21 7 (1) 2010– Republic of Ireland 24 (0)

The issue is that They're Scottish, not Irish.

The stuff about Wilson and Rioch.

If he's ok with them growing up in England as Scots, then why is he not ok with McGeady and McCarthy growing up in Scotland as Irishmen?

Weren't Riochs parents Scottish ? mcGaydays Grandfather left Ireland aged 2 - hardly a compelling link.

Duties is spot on boo them and boo the other 9 too. Give them hell.

Aiden McGeady

National team

2004 Republic of Ireland 72 (5)

James McCarthy

National team

2007 Republic of Ireland U17 3 (1) 20072008 Republic of Ireland U18 2 (2) 20072008 Republic of Ireland U19 1 (0) 20082012 Republic of Ireland U21 7 (1) 2010 Republic of Ireland 24 (0)

McCarthy was toying around with Ireland like a spoilt brat though and complaining that Scotland weren't looking at him, like a protest by going with Ireland, as someone mentioned that's why the drama about him switching to us in 2011 came up. McGeady is a lost cause however.

Gordon McQueen is no hypocrite but one of the best and most patriotic defenders to pull on a Scotland shirt. I am in complete agreement with him. McGeady and McCarthy were both born in Glasgow and had the advantage of being schooled and coached there. McGeady was mentored and heavily influenced by Tommy Burns, and McCarthy benefited from the Hamilton youth academy. They were nurtured by the Scottish system and their response was to reject it. At best this displays lack of gratitude and at worst treason. The grandfather rule is a complete piece of nonsense that dilutes the concept of playing for a country.

:lol:

http://www.theawayend.net/articles/football/the-away-end-archive/875-scotland-missing-mcgeady-and-mccarthy

For me far too early in a career to jump ship on there actual country ...notice at no point have they ever said they felt Irish.....

each to there own and all that but personally i think they made there decision to early ..SFA take some blame as well.

The issue is that They're Scottish, not Irish.

While I appreciate this issue has nuances and that there’s a political dimension as well as a footballing one to their decision, both McGeady and McCarthy carry Irish passports.

So in the eyes of the United Nations and The International Court of Justice, they’re both Irish Citizens.

Is your definition of nationality robust enough to challenge the UN and The Hague?

http://www.theawayend.net/articles/football/the-away-end-archive/875-scotland-missing-mcgeady-and-mccarthy

For me far too early in a career to jump ship on there actual country ...notice at no point have they ever said they felt Irish.....

each to there own and all that but personally i think they made there decision to early ..SFA take some blame as well.

Didnt realise they had to say it , to prove that they felt it

Don't think the SFA could have ever persuaded McGeady to play for Scotland, nor should they have to.

McCarthy, the ease at which he picked Ireland at 15 suggests playing for Scotland wasn't that big a deal for him

McGeady had been in a number of Scotland youth squads, but had a habit of withdrawing from more games than he actually played (apparently he was called up to meet Bertie Vogts in a plee to get him to stick with us).

McCarthy is down to who you believe.... Billy Reid and Hamilton Accies point the finger at the SFA.... Archie Knox who was supervision the whole youth set up at the time says it was Ross Mathie who picks the squads.... and Ross Mathie says he did watch him but apparently wasn't impressed with him and was to late when he did go to call him up.

I have always suspected the international football does not really interest McCarthy, and if we had asked he probably would have picked us at first, but put it down to him being young and the hype that surrounded him at the time resulted in him picking Ireland.

I also do suspect a element of snobbery on the SFA part about calling up players from a club like Hamilton Accies.....

Edited by wanderer

McGeady had been in a number of Scotland youth squads, but had a habit of withdrawing from more games than he actually played (apparently he was called up to meet Bertie Vogts in a plee to get him to stick with us).

McCarthy is down to who you believe.... Billy Reid and Hamilton Accies point the finger at the SFA.... Archie Knox who was supervision the whole youth set up at the time says it was Ross Mathie who picks the squads.... and Ross Mathie says he did watch him but apparently wasn't impressed with him and was to late when he did go to call him up.

I have always suspected the international football does not really interest McCarthy, and if we had asked he probably would have picked us at first, but put it down to him being young and the hype that surrounded him at the time resulted in him picking Ireland.

I also do suspect a element of snobbery on the SFA part about calling up players from a club like Hamilton Accies.....

Remember that at the time. Think McCarthy was of the opinion he was good enough for a call up, we didn't think so, and he chose the Irish instead - more a case of how do you like those apples Scotland rather than I feel Irish...

Remember that at the time. Think McCarthy was of the opinion he was good enough for a call up, we didn't think so, and he chose the Irish instead - more a case of how do you like those apples Scotland rather than I feel Irish...

Aye, I remember Burley making a plee to him that he would chuck him straight into the first team for the Argentina game few years back.