SNP leadership election - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I defy anyone, including Aaid, to disagree with Campbell today apart from voting for Ash Regan

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-white-flag-gang/

And it’s becoming increasingly clear that the events of the next few days and weeks will not just determine the future of the independence movement, but whether in any meaningful, practical sense it continues to exist at all.

The Indian Council of Scotland and The Muslim Council of the UK have also stated their worries about Humza

https://wingsoverscotland.com/a-time-of-fear/

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

“Feel unsafe”

geez peace. He might be a bit of a bell end but using language like this is intentionally manipulative

The President of The Indian Council said it

“We as a community do not feel safe with Humza Yousaf as the First Minister in Scotland. The Indian community – which is a community of all faiths that includes Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Buddhist, and Judaism – would not feel safe with Humza Yousaf as First Minister.

Our community is law-abiding, hard-working, and proud of our country. Humza Yousaf attacked a nursery publicly and has now walked away without apology. Surely his integrity must be called into question? He has stoked up racial tensions in the Indian Hindu community, and this is not acceptable.”

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

The President of The Indian Council said it

“We as a community do not feel safe with Humza Yousaf as the First Minister in Scotland. The Indian community – which is a community of all faiths that includes Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Buddhist, and Judaism – would not feel safe with Humza Yousaf as First Minister.

Our community is law-abiding, hard-working, and proud of our country. Humza Yousaf attacked a nursery publicly and has now walked away without apology. Surely his integrity must be called into question? He has stoked up racial tensions in the Indian Hindu community, and this is not acceptable.”

Yeah I know sorry, not implying it was yourself who said that. 

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I defy anyone, including Aaid, to disagree with Campbell today apart from voting for Ash Regan

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-white-flag-gang/

And it’s becoming increasingly clear that the events of the next few days and weeks will not just determine the future of the independence movement, but whether in any meaningful, practical sense it continues to exist at all.

The Indian Council of Scotland and The Muslim Council of the UK have also stated their worries about Humza

https://wingsoverscotland.com/a-time-of-fear/

I’m not going to even waste my time reading the article.  

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

It does mean she is being selective when it comes to which ideological battles she supports and which ones she doesn’t.

Joanna Cherry was railing yesterday on Twitter on the abuse that Kate Forbes was getting for her views.  Until someone dug out tweets from her from 2017 when she was calling out Tim Farron for holding exactly the same views.  A lesbian backing up someone who doesn’t believe in equality for lesbian,

People have very strange bedfellows these days.  It’s almost like what’s most important here to some is whether or not you support the GRR Bill.

You mentioned yesterday that you were deliberating between someone whose ideals you more closely associated,  or the person you feel was more capable but held beliefs you did not support.
I think this is possibly the first time I have chosen the latter option in any political contest . I joined the SNP for one reason only, because I want Scotland to be independent.  I think the only possible chance Scotland now has of being independent is to prove we can run the country successfully. Doesn’t matter who the FM is they will get shit so we may as well go for one who has the most ability . 

Forbes is the only person I think is remotely capable given the options so far . Choosing her probably makes me hypocritical as I dont agree with her religious beliefs. However , like Badenoch says, people are allowed to have opinions even if you dont like them. I am not overly concerned  that these will have a serious negative impact on equality in this country. Independence or not , if I felt she would heavily influence policies that would be a red line for me .  

IMO appointing Humza will kill any hope of independence stone dead . 

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’m not going to even waste my time reading the article.  

Have posted it on his comments section

Duped again

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have posted it on his comments section

Duped again

I have a mate down here, one of these guys that you know through football and you get on on that level but who has some pretty dubious views.  He’s second generation Anglo-Indian, a Hindu, a rampant Tory and a Modi supporter.  He also supports England at football and India at cricket.  He is also one of the most Islamophobic people I know.

I get the sense that these Indian Council people are of the same ilk.   Liberal white people often think that brown people can’t be racists or sectarian, that’s not true. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Choosing her probably makes me hypocritical as I dont agree with her religious beliefs.

Do all atheists feel hypocritical when they vote for someone? This situation is bonkers and completely unfair on Forbes (though she should have done the political thing ie lied). Time for Catholic, Muslim, etc, politicians to e aggressively quizzed on their personal beliefs. Only fair eh?

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You mentioned yesterday that you were deliberating between someone whose ideals you more closely associated,  or the person you feel was more capable but held beliefs you did not support.
I think this is possibly the first time I have chosen the latter option in any political contest . I joined the SNP for one reason only, because I want Scotland to be independent.  I think the only possible chance Scotland now has of being independent is to prove we can run the country successfully. Doesn’t matter who the FM is they will get shit so we may as well go for one who has the most ability . 

Forbes is the only person I think is remotely capable given the options so far . Choosing her probably makes me hypocritical as I dont agree with her religious beliefs. However , like Badenoch says, people are allowed to have opinions even if you dont like them. I am not overly concerned  that these will have a serious negative impact on equality in this country. Independence or not , if I felt she would heavily influence policies that would be a red line for me .  

IMO appointing Humza will kill any hope of independence stone dead . 

I haven’t made my mind up yet other than completely discounting Regan, Forbes has some work to do though.  

it’s almost concerning that this vote is deemed to be so important for independence, shouldn’t any snp politician be capable of taking the independence movement forward?

Obviously some are gonna be more likeable than others to your unsure voter but if that’s what it’s hinging on, maybe it’s not meant to be. 

8 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Do all atheists feel hypocritical when they vote for someone? This situation is bonkers and completely unfair on Forbes (though she should have done the political thing ie lied). Time for Catholic, Muslim, etc, politicians to e aggressively quizzed on their personal beliefs. Only fair eh?

Maybe she has just been smarter than we think, by getting the religious stuff out in the open early, before voting has started. It's almost 3 weeks before voting starts and there will be loads more shit comes out before then. Time will tell. 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Och, you canny leave that hanging there. Tell us more. I hope it's not one of those "If only you knew what I know things".

😉 😂

She sent her weans to private school, basically, that's my understanding of it.

Jars slightly with the "left-wing candidate" that some people have tried to paint her as.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Och, you canny leave that hanging there. Tell us more. I hope it's not one of those "If only you knew what I know things".

😉 😂

No, she sent her kids to private school.  All a bit new Labour. 

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

She sent her weans to private school, basically, that's my understanding of it.

Jars slightly with the "left-wing candidate" that some people have tried to paint her as.

Could've been worse. She could have been education secretary.

This guy, Wasif Ahmed, appears to be the Muslim Council of the UK.

https://glasgowstandard.com/2023/02/13/muslim-council-party-affiliatio/

I’be noticed recently that the Scottish Daily Express have started to pick up stories - and the are stories - from Wings recently.  That’s pretty ironic considering his history with that particular publication.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Or home schooled them to avoid government indoctrination 😬

Worse than that, she sent them to private school as she was too busy and state schools “didn’t provide wrap-around care”.