SNP leadership election - Page 107 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a pungent smell on the SNP but I don't agree with much of the Scottish Prism people on that show there.  A lot of conjecture passing as 

There's no reason to believe Sturgeon will be arrested and there's no reason to know if she won't.

Ultimately we don't actually know what the investigation is specifically about yet.

What I think were all fairly sure of is that the SNP no longer have 600odd thousand in their books.  And I don't think we're expecting to see it in a lost bank account.

What we didn't expect was daft buses being brought into the equation and shambles of incompetence over auditor and oversight.

35 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

What I think were all fairly sure of is that the SNP no longer have 600odd thousand in their books.  And I don't think we're expecting to see it in a lost bank account.

Did the last set of accounts not say about £1.6 million assets and about £1.0 million liabilities as of December 2021?

We don't know what the current situation is, because they can't seem to find anybody willing to count it. Even if they do manage to find some auditors to do it, that will only tell us the state of play as of December 2022. We still won't know what the current situation is. Might depend on whether they get that "bus thing" back again?

30 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did the last set of accounts not say about £1.6 million assets and about £1.0 million liabilities as of December 2021?

We don't know what the current situation is, because they can't seem to find anybody willing to count it. Even if they do manage to find some auditors to do it, that will only tell us the state of play as of December 2022. We still won't know what the current situation is. Might depend on whether they get that "bus thing" back again?

How much cash?  Auditors don't do your books.  They merely provide a view on them. 

You shouldn't need an accountant to show where 600k is if it exists.

I think it's beyond doubt something is awry, we just don't know exactly what.  The secrecy around it alone is abnormal.

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

NEC, prospective leaders, actual leaders, business convenors and god knows maybe treasurers didn't know, didn't ask, didn't care, weren't told about the basics of financial management for some unknown reason.  This is despite having umpteen hangers on giving the impression they have management information and oversight committees for this very thing.  Now looks possible the main independence party will lose million(s) because of their incompetence or worse. 

This is just what we know.

The bus thing just hasn't been answered properly at all and makes zero sense but there's enough nonsense been laid bare to show summat wasn't right. 

Exactly. 

Seems some are stlll happier having their heads in the sand. Which is exactly the reason the party has ended up in the mess its in.

47 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

How much cash? 

From memory about 150K. 

My point about the auditors is that we won't get any more information until the accounts are published, which won't happen until the auditors have reviewed them. I'm just trying to look for actual verifiable information rather than guessing and speculating. 

At this point none of us know what is going on. We probably won't find out much more until the police have finished their investigation, and see if anybody is going to be prosecuted. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SNP Government is now proposing to scrap the "Not Proven" verdict of Scots Law

They've been pushing this for some time - also reducing Jury to 12 from 15.

Very worrying, in theory if you dont think there's anough evidence one way or another you should have Not Guilty, but with Not Proven removed research seems to indicate we will get more Guilty verdicts.

In a decent system Not proven should open the door to a retrial and that's all - despite what the TV cop shows would have us believe , sometimes you just can't know or decide and Not Proven is a perfectly sensible verdict.

Justice has nothing to do with "closure" (whatever the fuck that is) for "victims" , "families" or anyone else.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

From memory about 150K. 

My point about the auditors is that we won't get any more information until the accounts are published, which won't happen until the auditors have reviewed them. I'm just trying to look for actual verifiable information rather than guessing and speculating. 

At this point none of us know what is going on. We probably won't find out much more until the police have finished their investigation, and see if anybody is going to be prosecuted. 

I think you mentioned a while back that the SNP had said that part of the £600k - around £250k from memory - had been spent on activities that could be considered as being “related to a referendum” or words to that effect.  I think a lot of that was election spend, particularly 2019 and 2021, which you could argue either way depending upon your own view.

All, I can think of is that the police are going through those items line by line and trying to judge whether or not they had been allocated correctly.   A bit like a company I used to work for did with your expenses - a colleague was pulled up for “over-tipping” on a meal where he rounded the tip up to the nearest pound, something like 24p.  

If that is true, and there’s no personal gain involved and at worst it’s some spend being incorrectly allocated then it’s a massive waste of time. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Exactly. 

Seems some are stlll happier having their heads in the sand. Which is exactly the reason the party has ended up in the mess its in.

Aye apparently so.  Staring us straight in the face the incompetence. and that's only on what we actually know for sure.

15 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Aye apparently so.  Staring us straight in the face the incompetence. and that's only on what we actually know for sure.

You know that for sure, how exactly?

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Are you pished? Haha  See my comment a few back. 

What we don't know, for sure, is criminality.  What we do know is incompetence.

You can't be serious?

You’ve seen the accounts have you?

NEC, prospective leaders, actual leaders, business convenors and god knows maybe treasurers didn't know, didn't ask, didn't care, weren't told about the basics of financial management for some unknown reason.  This is despite having umpteen hangers on giving the impression they have management information and oversight committees for this very thing.  Now looks possible the main independence party will lose million(s) because of their incompetence or worse. 

I would just add to this.  How many other political parties are in danger of losing short money, having kept these issues secret from all of the above?  Or is the SNP just been uniquely "competent"?

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I would just add to this.  How many other political parties are in danger of losing short money, having kept these issues secret from all of the above?  Or is the SNP just been uniquely "competent"?

You obviously believe everything you read in the papers.   

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

See above, we don't need to! 

I'm not making a comment on criminality as I made quite clear....yet 

You're just the other side of the coin to these Prism folk from what I read on here. 

Let’s see what happens when and if this gets to court and what has and hasn’t been going on comes out.

FTR, I’ve no idea what is going on, but I’m not going to jump to any conclusions based on rumour and insinuations, not least ones that emanate from the Scottish MSM or political opponents.  

Just now, aaid said:

You obviously believe everything you read in the papers.   

Hilarious.  No.

They're in danger of losing short money. 

Any other parties having this problem?

It's self evident a lack of competent governance by this simple fact alone.

Basic stuff this.

Before we even get to arrests ffs.

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Hilarious.  No.

They're in danger of losing short money. 

Any other parties having this problem?

It's self evident a lack of competent governance by this simple fact alone.

Basic stuff this.

Before we even get to arrests ffs.

How many time in the average year do you read something in the papers or see on TV a report saying something “could” happen and how many times does it actually happen?

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

How many time in the average year do you read something in the papers or see on TV a report saying something “could” happen and how many times does it actually happen?

Loads and this should not be a story if basics done.

The SNP should do this every year around May just to keep everyone on their toes.  Great laugh for all.

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Loads and this should not be a story if basics done.

The SNP should do this every year around May just to keep everyone on their toes.  Great laugh for all.

This is what is getting on my tits - the twitter accounts of SNP MPs & MSPs plus SNP bot accounts (proven last night with accounts tweeting the same shit) boasting about the "unproven" new members and goading other parties to divulge details of their memberships

No fucking shame and any thoughts of them addressing why so many have left right out the window

23 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

This is what is getting on my tits - the twitter accounts of SNP MPs & MSPs plus SNP bot accounts (proven last night with accounts tweeting the same shit) boasting about the "unproven" new members and goading other parties to divulge details of their memberships

No fucking shame and any thoughts of them addressing why so many have left right out the window

Purely anecdotal but a friend of mine who had resigned her membership a couple of years ago rejoined after Peter Murrell resigned - he’d been the reason why she’d resigned, she’d had issues with him.

42 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Can’t say many if any of snp politicians come across well on twitter, probably same across all the parties mind you 

On 4/26/2023 at 10:39 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd rather we got our own house in order rather than being as bad as the tories.

The SNP really do need to get their house in order before it starts to cost them (and I don't necessarily mean financially) but they're still lightyears away from being as bad as the Tories.

Considering the BBC is a service we all pay for I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to pursue the Tories, as the current governing party of the UK, with the same vigour as they do Scotland's current governing party, the SNP (wee nyaff Andrew Kerr chasing Colin Beattie down a Holyrood corridor screeching about motorhomes is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen, and wouldn't have looked out of place in a Chris Morris skit).