SNP leadership election - Page 25 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, aaid said:

What's that, dog whistle racism?

"english accented" dearie me - especially coming from a guy from Bath.

Talking of English accents, Ash Regan has an odd one. The vowel sounds in some words sound like someone who's lived in England for a long time.

Aaaand yep, just looked at her wiki page. Grew up in Cumbria/Devon.

Edited by Dave78

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Btw aaid, i bet you sound like a cockney. Admit it!

People always say to me “you haven’t lost your accent”.   I would say though that I don’t speak as quickly as I did and I use less Scots idiom and I have picked up the odd phrase here and there.   I can pronounce Maid’ned like a local though.

I think it’s different for people who move when they’re young and in school but I do think you only lose your accent if you want to or feel you have to.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

People always say to me “you haven’t lost your accent”.  

Folk say the same to me. I'm glad living here hasn't affected the way i speak/write, to be sure to be sure.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

How will Tommy survive?

Probably go back to the comedy business after Humza wins and he loses his seat at the next GE

Mhairi Black has just roasted Kate Forbes and Humza Yousaf

14 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Talking of English accents, Ash Regan has an odd one. The vowel sounds in some words sound like someone who's lived in England for a long time.

Aaaand yep, just looked at her wiki page. Grew up in Cumbria/Devon.

I thought she almost sounded Australian the first time I heard I speak.  I guessed she'd maybe grown up in the same town as Harry Souttar or something.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

What's that, dog whistle racism?

"english accented" dearie me - especially coming from a guy from Bath.

Aye, I thought that was a wee bit unnecessary too.  The boy's name was Alexander Swanson, which, coupled with fact he is at uni in Scotland, suggests he has connections to Scotland outwith simply just living here, but in any case, not really relevant.

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Dont be ridiculous. The English Political parties dont use Sectarianism to divide Scotland

spectator.jpg

spectator2.jpg

Nasty piece of work, that lassie. 😒 I've seen her using that trope on Twitter before - it's an old one Labour used to sometimes use back in the '80s and '90s - and probably earlier - but I haven't seen used since Gormless George Galloway resurrected it for Lanarkshire audiences only during his propaganda tour in 2014.

What makes it even more ridiculous is she followed it up with something along the lines of "if anyone has moved from Labour to the SNP and wants to come back, you'll be very welcome"!  🤣

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

hoping that either Regan or Forbes wins…. Anyone but hazmah.  either of the ladies win and it’s goodbye monster raving Green Party.

my slight worry is that they will split the anyone but humzah vote.

They're using an STV system for the ballot, which, if I understand the system correctly (which I'm not sure I do!) might actually go against Humza, as I can't see many of Forbes' votes and certainly not Regan's transferring to him.

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Probably go back to the comedy business after Humza wins and he loses his seat at the next GE

Mhairi Black has just roasted Kate Forbes and Humza Yousaf

Where’s she roasted Humza Yousaf?

I have to say I agree with every single word of what she’s said. 

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

They're using an STV system for the ballot, which, if I understand the system correctly (which I'm not sure I do!) might actually go against Humza, as I can't see many of Forbes' votes and certainly not Regan's transferring to him.

That’s exactly how it would work.  I doubt many of Regan’s votes will transfer to Yousaf.  He probably needs to win on the first count.  I’ll be amazed if Regan gets more than 10%, most of the people supporting her do not appear to have a vote. 

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Where’s she roasted Humza Yousaf?

I have to say I agree with every single word of what she’s said. 

Think i picked it up wrong when she mentioned him

1 minute ago, phart said:

I just read Black's twitter there, not seeing anything wrong with it in general.

If Kate Forbes becomes leader of the SNP is she going to persecute members of the SNP and people in Scotland who are LGBTI+ and start the process of getting rid of same sex marriages, abortion rights and make homosexuality illegal ?