Indyref 2 (2) - Page 190 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Agree with all this but tbh I despair as much at the pro independence folk on here who seem more concerned about the SG challenge than the fact Westminster can just slap us down when they feel like it. Let’s see what happens when its a subject that folk do care about and the faux outrage that ensues. 

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Agree, unionism couldn't have picked a better wedge issue but those falling for it are as bad.  Whatever the views, it's a slap in the face to our parliament.

It does seem like the trans stuff is not as trendy as it once was.  Is it just me or with more sports authorities coming out with realistic female policies, more acceptance and proliferation of gender neutral toilets and how folk want to dress, we've sort of got to a reasonable position as things stand without the complete self id?  Maybe if the Govt just let it lie, it wouldn't be a bad thing. 

56 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I'd just love it if some journalist interviewed the Tory MSPs (or even Labour or Lib Dem) who voted for it. I'd love to hear why they voted for it. I suspect no one will ask them. Far easier to continue to give the impression that it was just the SNP and Greens voting in favour of this legislation.

The issue here is devolution and what the Scottish Parliament can legislate on and what it can't 

That is the elephant in the room

It also shows how the Scottish Government were played from the inside and out by the British Establishment

Unionists, including the Lab/Lib/Tory MSPs that voted for it must have been pissing themselves laughing knowing what was going to happen - not to mention the Scottish Government advisors, strategists & legal teams that led them down this dead end costing millions

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And with regards to the above someone needs to explain to me how this bill proposed by Ash Regan through Salmond will be any different

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'd just love it if some journalist interviewed the Tory MSPs (or even Labour or Lib Dem) who voted for it. I'd love to hear why they voted for it. I suspect no one will ask them. Far easier to continue to give the impression that it was just the SNP and Greens voting in favour of this legislation.

Did you watch the stage 3 debate?  Jamie Greene spoke, quite movingly, and explained exactly why he would be voting for the bill. 

31 minutes ago, aaid said:

Did you watch the stage 3 debate?  Jamie Greene spoke, quite movingly, and explained exactly why he would be voting for the bill. 

I didn't see Jamie Greene's speech but has anyone asked him and other non-SNP, Green supporters more recently? In my understanding the legislation going through Holyrood was very similar to that being proposed by Teresa May in Westminster. Then Johnson came in and ditched it. I don't see him as a big supporter of women's rights so it may well have been political opportunism and weapon use the issue as he aped Trump in starting some culture war to deflect away from the mess the Tories have made.

16 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The issue here is devolution and what the Scottish Parliament can legislate on and what it can't 

That is the elephant in the room

It also shows how the Scottish Government were played from the inside and out by the British Establishment

Unionists, including the Lab/Lib/Tory MSPs that voted for it must have been pissing themselves laughing knowing what was going to happen - not to mention the Scottish Government advisors, strategists & legal teams that led them down this dead end costing millions

Well should people not be highlighting this and how ridiculous a situation we are in as a country where MSP’s from unionist parties will vote for something then just scurry away into a corner when their bosses in London tell them to ? How on earth can they say they are acting in Scotlands best interests? 
What happens if something like this happened with another controversial policy , for example, assisted dying . The UK government found some way to stick their oar in again as they don’t like it , despite it having  positive support amongst the Scottish public.

Humza then just says ‘ sorry folks, we were slapped down last time and it cost us money to challenge it which the public was unhappy with so we will just let this  one go.
Maybe people should have been enraged as much about the principle of the UK government intervening as they are about subject matter . One day it could be something that affects you.

The point of having a parliament is that makes its own decisions , and to follow through on it even if sometimes it is wrong. Not every decision that every parliament in the world makes is right. Wrong decisions get made all the time. If we are just going to roll over every time Westminster says ‘naw’ then we may as well go back to one parliament and people can take the consequences. It’s a totally ludicrous situation we are in , absolutely nowhere else in the world would this be accepted by the people of the country. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Waiting for the usual suspects to say that he’s talking to the wrong sort of world leaders and that Erdogan isn’t the hill I’d die on. 

Davey boy and sunak the wimp are jist pissed that Humza showed some stones when it came to Gaza. He didn't tow the yanks party line.

I happen to know a few quips about the foreign office and scottish relations.   There are tensions in the foreign office between the scottish tables and the uk tables going back years.  Neither trust each other.

There was a burns night in Germany held by the UK foreign office, ostensibly to give the impression the Scots are being taken care of.  The Scots had no idea about it and hadn't been consulted properly, made a show of not turning up with it ending up being run by a bunch of posh English toffs.  It made an impression.

54 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'd like to see Humza doing more of this sort of stuff. Just wee things like this to noise them up a wee bit. 

I feel that way too while at the same time a bit apprehensive about the UK govt stopping at nothing to get their own way or punishing us for our 'disobedience'. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Stuff like that is always good for the independence side.

I hope so but it is rarely reported as such so never feel confident that enough people will arrive at those necessary conclusions. 

(Sorry for the negative outlook 😬)

Got a letter this morning from "Scottish" Labour sent from Northumberland ....

Ash Regan has proposed a motion for the Scottish Government to drop the GRA bill which will be a test for the SNP and Greens

Bloke with a wig is trending on twitter

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Dear Humza, 

Please remember you and your fellow scots are too stupid to be liaising with world leaders. You need us to do that for you. Don't do it again.

Yours 

The pig fucking cunt, David Cameron

He's right though, we need the big, clever English to do our talking for us, especially on the world stage. They don't just make anyone Foreign Secretary, you know; you need to be of the calibre of someone like James Cleverly or Liz Truss.

(Truss is almost stupid enough to land a role in Humza's cabinet)

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'd like to see Humza doing more of this sort of stuff. Just wee things like this to noise them up a wee bit. 

Absolutely agree with this, he is winning me over because he is pissing them off and they are clearly feeling threatened. 

Its actually even better than it appears to be and makes Cameron look even more stupid.

The meeting was set up with an FCO advisor acting as minder/grass.

The Turks changed the time at the last minute.  The FCO lackey couldn't make it.  Humza took the meeting without the FCO present.

So problem here is lack of available FCO "supervision".

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wonder what Lisa Cameron has to say about the FCO closing down their office in East Kilbride?

I suspect she is more likely to be scouring her family tree in the hope she is somehow related to ‘Lord Cameron’ , than bothering about an FCO office in East Kilbride. 

Too many people will not give a damn about what Cameron says , people who are happy to for us to be undermined  at every opportunity so long as we keep getting pocket money.