44 Years Ago Today. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

44 Years Ago Today.

Jersey Jim

Got off to a great start when Jordan scored, went downhill rapidly, watched it as a 13 year old and cried my eyes out afterwards.

Rough, Buchan, Kennedy, Forsyth, Burns, Rioch, Masson, Hartford, Johnston, Dalglish and Jordan. How could that team lose?

Ally MacLeod really did have the nation believing we’d win the thing. 

Fkn Cubillas

It was the first World Cup in my memory and I remember the massive hype in the build up at school.  First panini album and tam Forsyth was in my first batch of stickers.  I also remember there were crisps out at the time with little World Cup footballer cards.  I had don masson, rudi kroll, and Kenny dalglish.

From memory, think the game was a Saturday?  Was fully expecting a win.

3 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Got off to a great start when Jordan scored, went downhill rapidly, watched it as a 13 year old and cried my eyes out afterwards.

Rough, Buchan, Kennedy, Forsyth, Burns, Rioch, Masson, Hartford, Johnston, Dalglish and Jordan. How could that team lose?

Ally MacLeod really did have the nation believing we’d win the thing. 

Fkn Cubillas

And we had lost three quarters of our defence to injury. Jardine, McGrain and McQueen all injured. In my mind that is the main reason why we didn't do as well as we had hoped. And, Peru weren't nearly as bad as some folk though they were. They were a decent side. I'm convinced that if we had had our first pick defence we would have won that game.

40 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And we had lost three quarters of our defence to injury. Jardine, McGrain and McQueen all injured. In my mind that is the main reason why we didn't do as well as we had hoped. And, Peru weren't nearly as bad as some folk though they were. They were a decent side. I'm convinced that if we had had our first pick defence we would have won that game.

Beat me to it. That’s the point I was going to make. 

I also think some of that great squad were just a wee bit over the hill too. Think we peaked in 77.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Willie Donnachie was suspended for that game too.

At least we've returned to the days of getting knocked out the World Cup in June.

4 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I was 8, I remember when Jordan scored, thinking we are actually going to win the WC.

Were we nae 1-0 up then Don Masson missed a penalty for 2-0, after that it was all downhill 🤯

My first World Cup but I didn’t realise how huge it was at the time and thought it was like this all the time.

The game as a Saturday night I remember I believe Arthur Montford on commentary maybe introduced by Ian archer.

when we lost I got told it was a massive shock and we should have done much better 

4 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Were we nae 1-0 up then Don Masson missed a penalty for 2-0, after that it was all downhill 🤯

Peru equalised before HT.

Penalty was a shocker right enough (although it was a bit of a soft decision IIRC).

I was in Banchory the other month and discovered a signed copy of Don Masson's autobiography "Still Saying Sorry"

Clearly not over it after 44 years 😄 😖

David Coleman did nothing to dampen the mistaken belief that we were one of the favourites when he said "One-Nil" nonchalantly as if it was going to be a cricket score

I was old enough to know disappointment in 1975 when i saw the score at Wembley

In 1977 i was 9 going on 10 and was an emotional wreck after the Peru and Iran games

Everything i had been taught to believe was in fact shite

A bit like life really

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Found them, we were joint 4th favourites...

West Germany 3/1
Brazil 7/2
Argentina 5/1
Netherlands 6/1
Italy 6/1
Scotland 6/1

Can't believe West Germany were favourites. Austria should have been in there. They had a great team at that time.

I know it's before FIFA rankings started, but I've always thought we were in the top six in the world at that time. 

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can't believe West Germany were favourites. 

They were the holders after winning it in 74

We beat The Netherlands 3-2 in 90 minutes; Argentina needed extra time to beat them in the final. Even with McGrain and McQueen missing, that was a good squad of players. Ally McLeod had his Aberdeen pal Joe Harper in the squad and left Andy Gray (winner of England's golden boot) at home. McLeod didn't last long after that debacle.

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can't believe West Germany were favourites. Austria should have been in there. They had a great team at that time.

I know it's before FIFA rankings started, but I've always thought we were in the top six in the world at that time. 

Argentina and Italy being in the same group as France and Hungary probably lengthened their odds a bit.

The historical elo ratings have us ranked as #4 in the world after we qualified in 1977.

Edited by Toepoke

39 minutes ago, Arbroath1320 said:

We beat The Netherlands 3-2 in 90 minutes; Argentina needed extra time to beat them in the final. Even with McGrain and McQueen missing, that was a good squad of players. Ally McLeod had his Aberdeen pal Joe Harper in the squad and left Andy Gray (winner of England's golden boot) at home. McLeod didn't last long after that debacle.

The Netherlands could only have been put out if we had beaten them by 3 goals

As soon as they were down by 2 they stepped it up a gear

They werent playing at full steam for 90 minutes 

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

It was the first World Cup in my memory and I remember the massive hype in the build up at school.  First panini album and tam Forsyth was in my first batch of stickers.  I also remember there were crisps out at the time with little World Cup footballer cards.  I had don masson, rudi kroll, and Kenny dalglish.

From memory, think the game was a Saturday?  Was fully expecting a win.

Not to forget the Tennents beermat collection! 😉

16 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The Netherlands could only have been put out if we had beaten them by 3 goals

As soon as they were down by 2 they stepped it up a gear

They werent playing at full steam for 90 minutes 

So the Dutch were not professionals, in your opinion? I'm not replying to any more of your posts.

3 hours ago, Arbroath1320 said:

So the Dutch were not professionals, in your opinion? I'm not replying to any more of your posts.

Oh no - how will i sleep at night

They were professional in that they did what they needed to qualify and no more