Scotland squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad

wanderer

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, bigfingers said:

Happy Ferguson is in the squad. Got to look to the future. Hickey must be omitted to give him more game time. Also happy Mcburnie isn’t there. 

I think the U21s wanted to call up Hickey but Bologna asked for him not to since he's only just returned from injury

Going off that squad, my guess is Clarke will go for this against Denmark
                      Gordon
          Hendry Hanley Tierney
O'Donnell Gilmour McGregor Robertson
                       McGinn
                  Adams Dykes

A few interesting inclusions. Slightly surprised Jon McLaughlin wasn't selected but Liam Kelly has started the season well and Clarke has spoken positively about him in the past so it's fair to say he's in there on merit.  Zander Clark has earned his place too, ditto Lewis Ferguson.

It's a shame McTominay is injured but at least Andy Robertson seems to be on the mend.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

A few interesting inclusions. Slightly surprised Jon McLaughlin wasn't selected but Liam Kelly has started the season well and Clarke has spoken positively about him in the past so it's fair to say he's in there on merit.  Zander Clark has earned his place too, ditto Lewis Ferguson.

It's a shame McTominay is injured but at least Andy Robertson seems to be on the mend.

Rangers have only used McLaughlin in the league because of how thick and fast the European games have came and keeping McGregor fresh.

Looked like normal service resumed on Sunday with McGregor now No1 at Rangers again, so you can not really drop Marshall, and keep McLaughlin who has only played 2 league games and now back to back up keeper, especailly when we should have been getting Kelly into the squad for a while now, and the form of Clark for St Johnstone.

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Rangers have only used McLaughlin in the league because of how thick and fast the European games have came and keeping McGregor fresh.

Looked like normal service resumed on Sunday with McGregor now No1 at Rangers again, so you can not really drop Marshall, and keep McLaughlin who has only played 2 league games and now back to back up keeper, especailly when we should have been getting Kelly into the squad for a while now, and the form of Clark for St Johnstone.

Hopefully this'll be the incentive needed for Marshall to get out of Derby as fast as possible in the next week. He should do a Gordon, and join a Scottish team. I'm sure Aberdeen or Hibs would take him. He missed a trick with Celtic, who would have been perfect before they signed Hart.

With McTominay and Jack both out, I'm surprised to not see Fleck. But I'm glad. Time to move on from players of his calibre. No disrespect to him, but he is much closer to the type of squad player we've had the past decade. We are slowly moving beyond that level.

24 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Cant see him, burke or fleck in the squad for a while considering how poor sheff United look this season. Fleck is at an age where its unlikely he will feature much anymore considering the young talent we have in midfield. 

These 3 should be permanently rested now, barring extreme emergencies. Were folk seriously expecting McBurnie to come back after half the country was calling for him to be dropped? I can only think Ferguson is the successor to Fleck, although he is right-footed.

Otherwise about the only squad he could have picked. Maybe I'm a bit disappointed Scott Wright has not been given a chance to be integrated. His time will come though. Could have been a replacment for Fraser who has not been playing recently.

Edited by Third Lanark

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Hopefully this'll be the incentive needed for Marshall to get out of Derby as fast as possible in the next week. He should do a Gordon, and join a Scottish team. I'm sure Aberdeen or Hibs would take him. He missed a trick with Celtic, who would have been perfect before they signed Hart.

With McTominay and Jack both out, I'm surprised to not see Fleck. But I'm glad. Time to move on from players of his calibre. No disrespect to him, but he is much closer to the type of squad player we've had the past decade. We are slowly moving beyond that level.

Aberdeen certainly do not need a keeper at the moment (Lewis, while a slight dip in form of late, has been one of the most consistent keepers in Scotland for a good few years, and when Woods played a few games last season Aberdeen fans were actually shocked just how good he is) and Hibs the same.

I think had Celtic failed to get Hart, their attention might have turned to Marshall as a alternative.

Hopefully he will get a move soon.

I think 12-16 months ago the loss of McTominay would have been massive, now its a case of hoping Hendry's performance v the Czechs in the Euros was a one off, and would expect Gilmour now a shoo-in to start from now on in midfield, I think there is some depth in the squad to call upon (personal opinion, but feel McTomany is wasted at the back, but problem is moving him into midfield seems to have a habit of upsetting the balance of that more so than when he plays at the back).

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

These 3 should be permanently rested now, barring extreme emergencies. Were folk seriously expecting McBurnie to come back after half the country was calling for him to be dropped? I can only think Ferguson is the successor to Fleck, although he is right-footed.

Otherwise about the only squad he could have picked. Maybe I'm a bit disappointed Scott Wright has not been given a chance to be integrated. His time will come though. Could have been a replacment for Fraser who has not been playing recently.

Fraser has scored a few goals for Clarke so has a bit of credit in the bank even though he hasn’t been playing recently. 

19 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Gordon
          Hendry Hanley Tierney
                       McGinn
                  Adams Dykes

Gordon

o’Donnel.       Hanley Cooper terney robbo

Gilmour. McLean       
                         Mcginn.   Mcgregor

Bb b.   Adams

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Aberdeen certainly do not need a keeper at the moment (Lewis, while a slight dip in form of late, has been one of the most consistent keepers in Scotland for a good few years, and when Woods played a few games last season Aberdeen fans were actually shocked just how good he is) and Hibs the same.

I think had Celtic failed to get Hart, their attention might have turned to Marshall as a alternative.

Hopefully he will get a move soon.

I think 12-16 months ago the loss of McTominay would have been massive, now its a case of hoping Hendry's performance v the Czechs in the Euros was a one off, and would expect Gilmour now a shoo-in to start from now on in midfield, I think there is some depth in the squad to call upon (personal opinion, but feel McTomany is wasted at the back, but problem is moving him into midfield seems to have a habit of upsetting the balance of that more so than when he plays at the back).

Yeah, Lewis is a quality keeper, I was just throwing names out. I really have no idea where Marshall could go and improve his chances of a Scotland recall. I do like that Clarke has the balls to drop him.

I've been a big critic of McGregor, but he has been on fire since the Euros. And Gilmour is finally getting the game time in the premier league that he deserves. I'd probably still try and find a way to get McTominay into my starting 11, but we have the depth to cope these days. Plus, McGinn can always drop deep of necessary.

54 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Gordon
          Hendry Hanley Tierney
                       McGinn
                  Adams Dykes

I think you are spot on aye, unless Tierney or Robertson are still slightly injured for the first game.

1 minute ago, runningtings said:

I think you are spot on aye, unless Tierney or Robertson are still slightly injured for the first game.

Apparently both are expected to be fit (Robertson back in full training, and was on the bench at the weekend.... Tierney apparently nothing a weeks rest will not sort out and already back in full training)

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Is Ralston maybe unlucky not to be in ahead of Patterson?

Clarke saying he has been impressed with his form, but follows up with what most of us are saying, that its all down to if he keeps his place in the Celtic first team in the long run.