Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 351 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Totally agree & he is playing really well in the deeper role. Not sure if he got a knock but he was taken off today after 56 minutes & fans saying they don't play at the same tempo without him in the team . 

Here's a fans opinion of him after the midweek game against West Ham. I know it's only a fan but if he keeps up this form up I would like Clarke to try him out probably next to McGregor as 2 sitting midfielders in Amsterdam. It could be a good dress rehearsal for the Germany game .

IMG_20240204_224439.jpg

It's a shame he was never tried out in that position earlier in his career. He has the work rate, stamina and ball winning ability to play the position. Sounds like he's really thriving in that position and we should maybe give him a chance there to see what he can do. Certainly would free up a place for a more attacking midfielder like Fraser or Barnes for the final euro squad.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Totally agree & he is playing really well in the deeper role. Not sure if he got a knock but he was taken off today after 56 minutes & fans saying they don't play at the same tempo without him in the team . 

Here's a fans opinion of him after the midweek game against West Ham. I know it's only a fan but if he keeps up this form up I would like Clarke to try him out probably next to McGregor as 2 sitting midfielders in Amsterdam. It could be a good dress rehearsal for the Germany game .

IMG_20240204_224439.jpg

"The best central midfielder I've ever seen in a Bournemouth shirt". Wow. That's quite a bold statement.

We are absolutely spoilt for midfielders right now. If only there was a way to play McGregor, Gilmour, Christie, McTominay and McGinn at the same time. But we also have in-form Armstrong, Ferguson and Fraser all breathing down their necks.

10 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

"The best central midfielder I've ever seen in a Bournemouth shirt". Wow. That's quite a bold statement.

We are absolutely spoilt for midfielders right now. If only there was a way to play McGregor, Gilmour, Christie, McTominay and McGinn at the same time. But we also have in-form Armstrong, Ferguson and Fraser all breathing down their necks.

Gunn

Back 4 of Robertson Tierney AN other (I can't decide) Hickey 

Mcgregor Gilmour Christie 

McGinn  McTominay 

Adams/Dykes 

Potentially quite a fluid formation 

6 minutes ago, saintydave said:

Gunn

McGinn  McTominay 

Adams/Dykes 

We certainly should be looking at a back 4 if Tierney or Robertson get injured but there are, in my opinion, two problems with your formation: There is a lack of height on the left side of central defence (this is less noticeable with 3 CB's) and it would nullify Tierney's attacking threat.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I don't know if it's the fit of his strip or the camera but Shankland looked overweight against Dundee. Although he played well that's something he needs to sort out to not give Clarke an excuse not to take him.

Shankland has always looked like that, doesn't mean he's overweight or unfit. 

Everyone's body is different. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Shankland has always looked like that, doesn't mean he's overweight or unfit. 

Everyone's body is different. 

Saw him in the flesh in the early part of the season and he didn't look overweight at all. He's admitted to being overweight in the past. Like I said, could have just been the strip or camera.

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Can Christie play the role of defensive midfielder because that's what we really need next to Gilmour or McGregor. 

For sure he can, he reads the game well, good passer , can tackle maybe not as well as Ryan Jack but certainly better than McGregor or Gilmour & he has bags of energy. His emergence in this role might unfortunately cost Ryan Jack or less likely McLean a squad place but like has been said it frees up a potential place for a extra offensive player.

3 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

For sure he can, he reads the game well, good passer , can tackle maybe not as well as Ryan Jack but certainly better than McGregor or Gilmour & he has bags of energy. His emergence in this role might unfortunately cost Ryan Jack or less likely McLean a squad place but like has been said it frees up a potential place for a extra offensive player.

How about McBurnie, a lot of folk on here see him as an extra offensive player 🤔

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

Saw him in the flesh in the early part of the season and he didn't look overweight at all. He's admitted to being overweight in the past. Like I said, could have just been the strip or camera.

I watched the highlghts at lunch, i think he just looks that way but not convinced he's carrying weight. 

8 hours ago, saintydave said:

Gunn

McGinn  McTominay 

Adams/Dykes 

I'd certainly not be against this against weaker opposition. And would like to see Shankland getting a solid 90mins as well.

Can't see us switching the tried and tested system we've used for the past few years for the Euros.

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

On prolonged form I’d feel much more confident Shankland starting than Dykes at the moment 

On prolonged form, Dykes should be worried about his place in the squad but I fully expect him to be in it as it takes a lot for Clarke to drop a key player. Plus, if he was really going down the pecking order, he wouldn't have come on against Norway.

Shankland's refused to sign a new contract so he must be super confident of getting a move in summer and will be hoping to put himself in the shop window at the Euros. That's got to be positive for us.

Maybe Che Adams should just stay at saints. They are probably going to get 2nd and automatic promotion back to the epl. He could then help them stay up alongside Fraser and Armstrong. Southampton has been a good move for Fraser as well. Should be back in our squads for the upcoming friendlies.

Aston Villa knocked out of the FA Cup is good for Scotland, as John McGinn will not have to play in the Final on 25th May.

The Euro Conf final is 29th May, hoping Aston Villa don't make that one either (sorry John).

8 hours ago, Silversand said:

Aston Villa knocked out of the FA Cup is good for Scotland, as John McGinn will not have to play in the Final on 25th May.

The Euro Conf final is 29th May, hoping Aston Villa don't make that one either (sorry John).

It can work both ways. He could be sharp and full of confidence after a final. Or it could go like Andy Robertson who had the Champions League final then played one of his worst games for us. Probably due to mental fatigue.

Speaking of Robertson, I hope the end of Klopp's reign won't be the end of his at left back for Liverpool.

Edited by Tartan blood

57 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It can work both ways. He could be sharp and full of confidence after a final. Or it could go like Andy Robertson who had the Champions League final then played one of his worst games for us. Probably due to mental fatigue.

Speaking of Robertson, I hope the end of Klopp's reign won't be the end of his at left back for Liverpool.

Aston Villa are right in the running for a Champions League place so that would still leave Super John McGinn brimming with confidence.

End-of-season fatigue is a real worry but I'm not mean-spirited enough to wish bad luck on John McGinn in Villa's Europe Conference League campaign. Plus, it isn't a major worry for me as many of our top players are either not playing every week or injured/coming back from injury.  

Shankland has to start in the upcoming friendlies or get significant game time.