Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 340 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Regularly qualifying for tournaments and not making a cunt of ourselves when we get there, I’d take that

100% agree Dan Cake 👌

Regularly qualifying for Tournaments for me, once they pull on the dark blue 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 that’s good for me

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Yep Conway is playing his way into the next squad 

Aye, Conway won’t even be on Southgate’s Radar !! 
He must be on S.Clarkes thoughts though……

He did go to the June training camp in June last year, if he keeps this trend - then he is another that could force his way into that 23 man squad come the summer

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

Conway isn't even that close to being Scottish: He qualifies through the grandparent rule and it could be that his grandmother was born in Scotland to English parents. We're in danger of becoming the ROI in the 80's and 90's.

Not quite: RoI filled practically their whole first eleven with eligibles, while we only employ them in positions where we are seriously short. Just as other nations do, including England.

31 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Think this is all becoming a tired argument these days. For instance the 2 starting centre halves for Spain are really French. 

Barnes, Gordon, Livramento, Quansah, Steele, Anderson would all be welcome additions to the squad should they become available. 

That might be true, but it doesn't make it right and it's why for many, international football is losing its appeal/passion.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Not quite: RoI filled practically their whole first eleven with eligibles, while we only employ them in positions where we are seriously short. Just as other nations do, including England.

Who do England put in that isn't really English? The last one of note was Owen Hargreaves. I suppose someone who say Jack Grealish and Declan Rice, but, despite their origins, they both grew up in England and probably always regarded themselved as English.

10 minutes ago, Marky said:

That might be true, but it doesn't make it right and it's why for many, international football is losing its appeal/passion.

What's not "right" about it? Why shouldn't someone be able to play for the nation of a grandparent if they wish to, if they feel some affinity to that country?

And btw, a grandparent really isn't that tenuous a link. Some people are raised by their grandparents.

44 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Think this is all becoming a tired argument these days. For instance the 2 starting centre halves for Spain are really French. 

Barnes, Gordon, Livramento, Quansah, Steele, Anderson would all be welcome additions to the squad should they become available. 

Not sure why it's tired if the facts haven't changed. One of the best things about international football is that you're playing for YOUR country. The problem is making the rules so that those who clearly wanted to play for Scotland quite probably as a first choice (e.g. Dykes and McTominay) don't get caught out when trying to rule out those that don't (pretty much all the players you mentioned plus Ché Adams).

As much as people including myself complain about players changing their nationality, nothing will change.  Even some of the current squad are what I would say not Scottish. I have decided just to support all that play for us and leave what is right and wrong to the ones who make the rules and pick the team.

45 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

A couple of names I’m not familiar with ? 

Quansah a Liverpool Centre Half I’m assuming? Had to google him, is he any good and is he on Clarkes radar?? 

Steele, is this the GK at Brighton? Not quite so easy to google with a fairly common name…… 

Every Nation is at it, doesn’t make it right & it is tired like you say but if it’s good enough for Engerland France Spain Ireland etc etc then it’s good enough for Scotland 

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

What's not "right" about it? Why shouldn't someone be able to play for the nation of a grandparent if they wish to, if they feel some affinity to that country?

And btw, a grandparent really isn't that tenuous a link. Some people are raised by their grandparents.

Some are. Were Ché Adams and Tommy Conway? Word is Scott McTominay couldn't wait to play and his dad was probably drumming it into him. This is what makes a blanket rule so tough but surely the starting point should be at least one parent and/or raised in Scotland?

Right now, it doesn't bother me that much as most of our key players were actually born and/or raised in Scotland.However, the way I look at the grandparent rule is would we be happy if our first 11 were all English with a Scottish grandparent even if that meant doing well in tournaments?

11 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Who do England put in that isn't really English? The last one of note was Owen Hargreaves. I suppose someone who say Jack Grealish and Declan Rice, but, despite their origins, they both grew up in England and probably always regarded themselved as English.

Sterling 

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's not the ones that "feel some affinity" that people are worried about and (just my opinion), players should never be allowed to change allegiance just because they don't think they'll get a game for the country that they really want to play for.

Not singling him out, just using him as an example. Take Che Adams. Played for England at U20 and switched to us when clear he'd never be good enough to play for the England full team. He has one Scottish grandmother. I seriously doubt he had any affinity to Scotland whatsoever before signing up. Yes he tries and he's done reasonably well for us, but that's not the point. Trying is the very least I'd expect from a professional footballer in any team. He currently plays for Southampton. If he moves to Wolves in the transfer window, I'm sure he'll try hard for them too. That's what footballers do. That doesn't mean he should be playing for Scotland. 

One of my grannies was from Newcastle. I have zero affinity to England and would never have played for them if my life depended on it. Appreciate everyone is different, but logic tells me that if Adams claimed to ever genuinely feel a bit Scottish prior to playing for us, I'd say he was at it.

I could've gone for low hanging fruit like Phil Bardsley or Matt Elliot, but I'm trying to use a sensible example.

18 minutes ago, stitch said:

As much as people including myself complain about players changing their nationality, nothing will change.  Even some of the current squad are what I would say not Scottish. I have decided just to support all that play for us and leave what is right and wrong to the ones who make the rules and pick the team.

That's what I do too mate. I'm just saying it doesn't make it right and I can confidently state that if we ever got to an RoI level I'd lose interest immediately.

Edited by Marky

4 minutes ago, Marky said:

That's what I do too mate. I'm just saying it doesn't make it right and I can confidently state that if we ever got to an RoI level I'd lose interest immediately.

This is what I mean when you take the rule to its natural conclusion: I doubt anyone on here would be happy to have a starting 11 entirely made up of England rejects so that means the rule needs fixing. At the very least it should be one parent.

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Also most of the French team are the children of immigrants. Hardly many indigenous Frenchmen in their squad.

We should just accept that a small country like ours needs as much help as possible and just accept as many granny rule players as long as they improve the squad.

1 minute ago, BryanBlessed said:

This is what I mean when you take the rule to its natural conclusion: I doubt anyone on here would be happy to have a starting 11 entirely made up of England rejects so that means the rule needs fixing. At the very least it should be one parent.

Just England rejects or would 11 Australian ones be ok? 

1 minute ago, BryanBlessed said:

Until that happens we should be utilitising the granny rule to full effect. 

Saying that I do think the granny rule can be a bit ridiculous at times. Roi in the 80s and 90s really took the piss a bit. Wouldn't really want it to get quite as bad as that.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Until that happens we should be utilitising the granny rule to full effect. 

Saying that I do think the granny rule can be a bit ridiculous at times. Roi in the 80s and 90s really took the piss a bit. Wouldn't really want it to get quite as bad as that.

Cascarino’s grandad wasn’t even Irish his mother discovered the man she thought was her biological dad wasn’t, he’d already been capped 3 times by then