Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 171 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

8 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I agree with this too. My comment on the use of Hickey as a DM was in relation to shoehorning him into the team; I don’t think it’s likely he will be used as DM any time soon but I think it’s more likely than him being used as a centre back. 

I think Hickey is better defensively than Patterson but not as good offensively. For games against the best teams I think we are more likely to see Hickey, for weaker teams Patterson. Hickey can also, obviously, play on the left. If Robertson is injured/rested he’ll probably drop in there to allow Tierney to continue at left CB.

I like you're thinking. These are good points.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Worrying that mcginn gets subbed and villa look better for it. Actually wish he was never made captain tbh. 

Some players thrive on being given the captaincy, whereas others can be overwhelmed by it. I didn't think McGinn was that bad today but he wasn't that good either. He's out of form at the moment though, whether that's due to being captain or being played in a position that doesn't make the most of his strengths I'm not sure.

In better news, young strikers Keiron Bowie and Kyle Joseph both scored today and in the English Championship 20-year-old Tommy Conway, who apparently qualifies for us, scored his sixth goal of the season for Bristol City. I hope Clarke is keeping tabs on him.

42 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Some players thrive on being given the captaincy, whereas others can be overwhelmed by it. I didn't think McGinn was that bad today but he wasn't that good either. He's out of form at the moment though, whether that's due to being captain or being played in a position that doesn't make the most of his strengths I'm not sure.

In better news, young strikers Keiron Bowie and Kyle Joseph both scored today and in the English Championship 20-year-old Tommy Conway, who apparently qualifies for us, scored his sixth goal of the season for Bristol City. I hope Clarke is keeping tabs on him.

Marc Leonard on loan from Brighton to Northampton apparently is being described as the league 2 Pirlo, like Anderson the season before has been outstanding so far. I hear Scott Banks is doing well also on loan there. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Played over an hour and only completed 8 passes, that is some stat.

At club level he's never been the same since he did his ankle ligaments in late 2019. Dosen't really score much anymore for Villa and everyone knows his style isn't calm and controlled possesion.

I think he'll be left on the bench at Leicester next weekend, him getting subbed regularly in games indicates this.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I wondered with that surname, can remember Craig Conway perhaps getting a cap from a decade ago in the rotten Levein period although presume no relation.

Wiki still lists him as English currently...

Chris Martin still around, must be about 35-36 by now. And Kal Naismith in their squad, was great for Luton last season so developed into a very good championship full back although given his age would be a very unlikely call up.

45 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Marc Leonard on loan from Brighton to Northampton apparently is being described as the league 2 Pirlo, like Anderson the season before has been outstanding so far. I hear Scott Banks is doing well also on loan there. 

Good to hear. League Two Pirlo almost sounds like a put-down though. 😂

I wonder what impact Billy Gilmour going to Brighton will have on him, given young Billy has a touch of the Pirlos about him too.

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I wondered with that surname, can remember Craig Conway perhaps getting a cap from a decade ago in the rotten Levein period although presume no relation.

Wiki still lists him as English currently...

Chris Martin still around, must be about 35-36 by now. And Kal Naismith in their squad, was great for Luton last season so developed into a very good championship full back although given his age would be a very unlikely call up.

Aye, Craig Conway got a couple of caps for us. Seem to remember he featured in the friendly against England in 2013 (Kenny Miller's final game).

I can't see Naismith getting called up either.

According to this clockwatch, Ollie Burke came on for Werder Bremen vs Bochum in the 74 minute. Won a penalty in the 91st.
Seems Werder are using him exclusively as an 'impact sub' coming on very late in games. Early in the season still, but he does seem to be able to make things happen.

Could he fulfill a similar role for us? (Or, regardless of his ability, is it too much of a luxury to use up a squad slot for an 'impact sub' type player?)

6 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Mate I’ve been calling for Tierney to be played as a defensive midfielder for years. I was being sarcastic as some posters on here think that’s it “Crazy”, “Outrageous” etc. We need to switch to 4/4/2, to do that we need a defensive midfielder, a role in which we don’t have many options. I’ve suggested Tierney playing there for a long time. A midfield of 

Tierney

McTominay Gilmour McGregor 

is how I’d set up. If Gilmour isn’t available    

Tierney

McTominay McGregor Turnbull

turnbull can’t even get a game for Celtic. Shouldn’t be considered.

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

McKenna had a shocker today.

Assume you'd watched MOTD. He had one big mistake which can and has happened to even the best defenders in the world. 

On the positive side, Christie played 84 mins for the opposition yesterday. His confidence will hopefully be restored. They've showed character with that comeback after taking a 9 nil beating.

7 hours ago, stocky said:

He got big licks on motd tonight.😎👍

RB problem solved.

Out entire back line plays in the EPL now. It's getting better

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Assume you'd watched MOTD. He had one big mistake which can and has happened to even the best defenders in the world. 

On the positive side, Christie played 84 mins for the opposition yesterday. His confidence will hopefully be restored. They've showed character with that comeback after taking a 9 nil beating.

RB problem solved.

Out entire back line plays in the EPL now. It's getting better

he had more than one bad mistake.  He had a bad mistake not long before the goal that let them clean through.  

I like McKenna, and think he is one of the best of a pretty average bunch of centre half’s, just hope he has a good couple of games coming up, if he retains his place.

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

McKenna had a shocker today.

Other than Tierney, our centre half options are very mediocre. Hanley, Hendry, Cooper, Mckenna etc are all a very similar level. 

Had hopes that Souttar was going to make himself a regular but doubtful he'll stay injury free long enough to nail down a place in the team. 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Other than Tierney, our centre half options are very mediocre. Hanley, Hendry, Cooper, Mckenna etc are all a very similar level. 

Had hopes that Souttar was going to make himself a regular but doubtful he'll stay injury free long enough to nail down a place in the team. 

it’s our Achilles heel.  Tierney isn’t a centre half. We are shoehorning him in to that role as he is a decent footballer 

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Werder Bremen win 2-0 away at Bochum. 0-0 when Burke comes on in the 74th minute. He plays a guy in to provide a cross for first and he got brought down for the penalty for the second. Quite the impact sub!

I would definitely pick Burke for the squad. He could be useful coming on in the second half. A lot of games recently we don’t seem to have any answers when we are losing with 20 mins to go.  

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yep Turnbull shouldn’t be in the squad. Guys like him and Ryan Jack who aren’t regulars for their clubs shouldn’t be in at present 

We don’t have an abundance of good central midfielders, especially ones who can play on the left. Turnbull is also quite young and one for the future so I’d have him in the squad. Noticed Gilmour isn’t in the Brighton squad today, I’ve no idea how his fitness and  conditioning is, how long it will take him to get up to speed. Hopefully not too long as we have games coming up soon. 

Scotland fitness is very different to premier league fitness , ie Scotland don’t worry too much about things like that.

looking at the Brighton midfield won’t be easy getting in the side.

however if his fitness is poor we shoot not be picking him for these games , as he has not delivered internationally for a while