Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 103 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

As far as we are concerned?? I didn't realise you spoke for all of the fans. When did you get elected?

Exactly. The only person whose opinion is important here is Steve Clarke's.  If I was him I'd want to get the best squad of players assembled as I possibly could, since I'd be the one tasked with getting the team qualified for major tournaments.

6 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

No thanks (yeah, yeah, get that some Anglos over the years will of supported England over us, but Gunn is quite obviously a massive fan of them and has never shown any desire to play for us)

Screenshot_20220220-080041_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20220220-075932_Twitter.jpg

And if he still has no desire to play for us then I'm sure he'll say so and nobody has anything to worry about. 🤷‍♂️

Well, nothing apart from the fact that we don't currently have an international standard goalie under the age of 35. Personally that worries me more than what someone tweeted a few years ago.

Edited by scotlad

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, scotlad said:

Exactly. The only person whose opinion is important here is Steve Clarke's.  If I was him I'd want to get the best squad of players assembled as I possibly could, since I'd be the one tasked with getting the team qualified for major tournaments.

And if he still has no desire to play for us then I'm sure he'll say so and nobody has anything to worry about. 🤷‍♂️

Well, nothing apart from the fact that we don't currently have an international standard goalie under the age of 35. Personally that worries me more than what someone tweeted a few years ago.

These are valid points.  Especially "...we don't currently have an international standard goalie under the age of 35." That is worrying.

21 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

These are valid points.  Especially "...we don't currently have an international standard goalie under the age of 35." That is worrying.

The valid points are he was asked and refused  to play for us.Why would anybody go crawling to that guy,who turned us down flat?It's absolutely pathetic.I repeat he can go and fry his pr..k

7 minutes ago, thesaint said:

The valid points are he was asked and refused  to play for us.Why would anybody go crawling to that guy,who turned us down flat?It's absolutely pathetic.I repeat he can go and fry his pr..k

Che Adams & Scott McTominay also were asked several times and didn’t play for us. 

I actually don’t think Gunn is a better goalie that who we presently have so I’m not bothered about getting him, however, there’s no point using that argument then being happy with Adams, McTominay & whoever else playing for us is there. 

9 minutes ago, thesaint said:

I didn't realise he'd already been asked and turned us down. Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Che Adams & Scott McTominay also were asked several times and didn’t play for us. 

I actually don’t think Gunn is a better goalie that who we presently have so I’m not bothered about getting him, however, there’s no point using that argument then being happy with Adams, McTominay & whoever else playing for us is there. 

What makes you think i am happy with playing anybody who chose england over us .Unfortunately,even although i hate it,there is nothing i can do about them getting selected.

11 hours ago, thesaint said:

Scott McTominay hasn't represented england at any level,as far as i am aware.Would put a bit of a dampner on the McTominay tartan army song.

Indeed he hasn’t but he turned down call ups which is what you said about Gunn. 

Again I don’t care about Gunn but there’s no point picking and choosing when to apply arguments. 

48 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Indeed he hasn’t but he turned down call ups which is what you said about Gunn. 

Again I don’t care about Gunn but there’s no point picking and choosing when to apply arguments. 

McTominay did not turn a down a call from Scotland because he wanted to play for England. It's not the same thing.

10 hours ago, Arbroath1320 said:

McTominay did not turn a down a call from Scotland because he wanted to play for England. It's not the same thing.

Well said.100% CORRECT.The case of McTominay and gunn aren't comparable in any way.gunn was asked to play for us,but turned us down flat to follow his dream to play for england,and that my friends is why gunn's name and SCOTLAND should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

44 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Well said.100% CORRECT.The case of McTominay and gunn aren't comparable in any way.gunn was asked to play for us,but turned us down flat to follow his dream to play for england,and that my friends is why gunn's name and SCOTLAND should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

good luck to Gunn.  He is clearly English so should play for them.

50 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hickey starting tonight for Bologna. 

Watched the game. Hickey played on the left of a 5-man defence (last few games he's started on the right). First half he was a bit off the pace to be honest. (If I was to be hyper-critical, it was his misplaced pass that led to to the passage of play that culminated in Spezia's goal).

Not sure what Mihalojvic said at half-time, but it was a different Hickey that came out in the 2nd half: Defending, making runs, crossing with his left or cutting in onto his right. A really impressive, mature performance.

[Sidenote for those interested in the Wales-Austria playoff. Arnautovic was scarily good tonight. The fact he scored two goals only tells half the story.]

12 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Watched the game. Hickey played on the left of a 5-man defence (last few games he's started on the right). First half he was a bit off the pace to be honest. (If I was to be hyper-critical, it was his misplaced pass that led to to the passage of play that culminated in Spezia's goal).

Not sure what Mihalojvic said at half-time, but it was a different Hickey that came out in the 2nd half: Defending, making runs, crossing with his left or cutting in onto his right. A really impressive, mature performance.

[Sidenote for those interested in the Wales-Austria playoff. Arnautovic was scarily good tonight. The fact he scored two goals only tells half the story.]

I only saw the 2nd half but was also impressed . He did what little defending he had to do well & like you say due to being comfortable on his right side his ability to cut inside is a real attribute & threat. 

His versatility & attributes make him a obvious upgrade on Taylor though knowing our Steve's loyal way of thinking i think Hickey may have to wait until after the play offs to be selected. 

13 hours ago, thesaint said:

That's the whole point.He is clearly english,so why is anybody pushing for him to play for SCOTLAND.Stupidity beyond belief.

He feels English, it's normal as his mum is probably English & he was born & lived his whole life there that doesn't mean he has no feeling for Scotland, of course he does as his dad is Scottish. 

Obviously his first choice is England but like 100's or perhaps 1000's of international footballers before him he will end up representing the country that wants him. He is getting older so i guess realises he needs to seriously consider us as he knows a chance with his first choice is highly unlikely to come. 

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with this, it's normal if you qualify for more than 1 nation.       Personally i am proud that players especially ones that qualify through grandparents such as Che Adams & may have never even set foot in Scotland are willing to sign up & show such commitment to us. 

As for Gunn, the reality is in a year or 2 we will desperately need a top class keeper, there's absolutely nobody coming through at the minute looking like making the level required within that time period so if he stays as a first pick at Norwich even in the championship & he is willing to commit to us whether some on here like it or not he will be selected. 

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I only saw the 2nd half but was also impressed . He did what little defending he had to do well & like you say due to being comfortable on his right side his ability to cut inside is a real attribute & threat. 

His versatility & attributes make him a obvious upgrade on Taylor though knowing our Steve's loyal way of thinking i think Hickey may have to wait until after the play offs to be selected. 

I agree. Can't see him gatecrashing the squad for the play offs. But I think he must be in with a chance of a call up later this year?

Regardless, I really hope he continues to develop like he's doing. It's great there are so many quality players fighting for squad places!

4 hours ago, theabsentee said:

He feels English, it's normal as his mum is probably English & he was born & lived his whole life there that doesn't mean he has no feeling for Scotland, of course he does as his dad is Scottish. 

Obviously his first choice is England but like 100's or perhaps 1000's of international footballers before him he will end up representing the country that wants him. He is getting older so i guess realises he needs to seriously consider us as he knows a chance with his first choice is highly unlikely to come. 

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with this, it's normal if you qualify for more than 1 nation.       Personally i am proud that players especially ones that qualify through grandparents such as Che Adams & may have never even set foot in Scotland are willing to sign up & show such commitment to us. 

As for Gunn, the reality is in a year or 2 we will desperately need a top class keeper, there's absolutely nobody coming through at the minute looking like making the level required within that time period so if he stays as a first pick at Norwich even in the championship & he is willing to commit to us whether some on here like it or not he will be selected. 

That fact seems to be unimportant to some people on here though, many of whom will still expect us to qualify for things and will call whoever's in charge every name under the sun when that doesn't happen.  🙄

40 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Nobody is 😂

The point being clearly made is that the same argument has to apply to all players

The whole thing has stemmed from some wee click-bait article containing no quotes and full of conjecture.  There is probably nothing to it.