Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead - Page 18 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead

andyg83

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There entitled to say what they want. One person says he is from the UK, his neighbiour says he is from Ireland. Only one of them is correct though.

Northern Ireland is seperate from the Republic and no matter of emotion stops that being a fact.

the separation comes from occupation - the blood of the Irish both north and south is the same.

Opinion polls normally show plenty of RCs in NI would rather stay in the UK and as you suggest it is probably for economic reasons.

A majority in the RoI would favour a United Ireland if agreed peacefully and not forcing 1 million unionists into it. However it is not really a major issue south of the border. It is in NI in both communities as you can probably guess. I don't think there will be a United Ireland in my lifetime or those of my children but others disagree.

the separation comes from occupation - the blood of the Irish both north and south is the same.

So do the unionists in Northern Ireland not count now? Many have had families there for generations.

Does this apply to people in every nation? If they can't trace direct and pure lineage they aren't part of that country?

I know it is Wikipedia but it refrences actual opinion polls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ireland

The 2013 annual Northern Ireland Life and Times survey conducted by the Queen's University Belfast and the University of Ulster found that a United Ireland was the favoured long term option of 15% of the population while remaining part of the United Kingdom was the favoured long term option of 66% of the population

A 2011 survey by Northern Ireland Life and Times found that 52% of Northern Irish Catholic respondents favoured union with Great Britain over a united Ireland.

The last part I used to find hard to believe but during my Post-Grad a stayed with a guy from N. Ireland. Catholic, had a Tri-colour on his wall etc but didn't want a united Ireland. He prefered N. Ireland staying in the UK due to economic reasons, so these people do exist.

Just like no voters in Scotland - only Scotland is much richer in resources, there was absolutely no reason for them to betray their country.

Edited by Helen Donegan

I know it is Wikipedia but it refrences actual opinion polls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ireland

The 2013 annual Northern Ireland Life and Times survey conducted by the Queen's University Belfast and the University of Ulster found that a United Ireland was the favoured long term option of 15% of the population while remaining part of the United Kingdom was the favoured long term option of 66% of the population

A 2011 survey by Northern Ireland Life and Times found that 52% of Northern Irish Catholic respondents favoured union with Great Britain over a united Ireland.

The last part I used to find hard to believe but during my Post-Grad a stayed with a guy from N. Ireland. Catholic, had a Tri-colour on his wall etc but didn't want a united Ireland. He prefered N. Ireland staying in the UK due to economic reasons, so these people do exist.

Queen's University certainly do some very interesting and enlightening opinion polls.

About 18 months back they asked people if they thought voters in Northern Ireland should have a say in Scotland's future. About 85% of these deluded "Ulster-Scots" wanted a vote in our bloody referendum :rollsmile::wave:

Fine Gael are still the leaders. Sinn Fein only popular in working class areas

I think that could be about to change at the next elections. Hopefully it will. They're my last best hope of actual change in Irish politics. I just wish they would get rid of all the ex-terrorists (from the leadership especially). Would make them much more electable.

Some people in East Donegal support NI instead of the RoI however in general very few in the RoI would choose NI ahead of the Republic. In NI most from a nationalist background would now support the RoI and for those under 50 it would be a very high percentage.

Interesting stuff.

Question for the older Irish fans, when Northern Ireland were at the World Cup in 82 & 86 did you cheer them on?...

Interesting stuff.

Question for the older Irish fans, when Northern Ireland were at the World Cup in 82 & 86 did you cheer them on?...

No - the only time I ever cheered NI is when George Best was playing for them - imagine Best, Giles and Jennings in the same team :D

did giles not play for roi correct me if im wrong, I used to go to Windsor park, Jennings, best dougan neil rice but no giles think u must have been dreaming Helen.

oh sorry u were just imagining

Of course Giles played for Ireland - I was just imagining the best players on the island of Ireland at the time all playing in the same team :cheers3:

Such a crucial game & supplying opposition tickets, don't understand it personally. There's always folk who get in home end when we travel abroad but not from members of that countries supporters club? Spain was a doddle because of the ticketing online wasn't direct through there fans & they had already qualified etc

Too many folk more concerned about the away games

Such a crucial game & supplying opposition tickets, don't understand it personally. There's always folk who get in home end when we travel abroad but not from members of that countries supporters club? Spain was a doddle because of the ticketing online wasn't direct through there fans & they had already qualified etc

Too many folk more concerned about the away games

In fairness i bought them in the public sale (not the SSC extra tickets for season ticket holders), so i can't be accused of 'supplying tickets to the opposition' or whatever.

I still don't see the problem though. Every Scotland fan that wants a ticket will, or could have, gotten one.

In fairness i bought them in the public sale (not the SSC extra tickets for season ticket holders), so i can't be accused of 'supplying tickets to the opposition' or whatever.

I still don't see the problem though. Every Scotland fan that wants a ticket will, or could have, gotten one.

Yep I reckon the scots will have all the fans in the stadium that want to be there, can see the irish struggling because of the allocation which seems a balls, 5% is a joke and then to have them on public sale makes no sense at all, while the fai decide who they are giving the allocation to, fai are a shambles.