Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead - Page 20 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead

andyg83

I'd forgotten about that 93 game, I do remember both Irelands being in the same group before that (Euro 80?) and there being a lot of talk about security concerns then...

way before 1993 some of the players who were from the Nationalist community and played for NI had complained about being treated differently and being discriminated against. Then of course look what happened to Lennon, that was just a more obvious example of what had always taken place.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Billy Bingham who made the mercenary remark. We did try to have the game moved which didn't go down well either. I was at the game as well in the home end. It was tense once the pubs emptied a few minutes before kickoff. There was sectarian chanting and singing but I think it was blown out of all proportion down here. I think there was shock among the general population that NI wanted to stop us qualifying eventhough it should have meant nothing to them.

My bad it was Bingham. Was the first time, and maybe last time any sectarian singing was aimed at us. I think it left a deep wound.

I agree there was shock that they didn't want us to qualify, that's why it became them and us afterwards.

Looking forward very much to this game. Glasgow is fully booked with football fans for the game. It's going to be a lot of irish at this game. The flip side is that the return game will be the same. The only fans that fill Lansdowne road these days are the rugby fans. Very rarely would you see a sell out for a qualifier for the football team. Unless of course ireland do well and the stadium becomes infected with bandwangers.

My bad it was Bingham. Was the first time, and maybe last time any sectarian singing was aimed at us. I think it left a deep wound.

I agree there was shock that they didn't want us to qualify, that's why it became them and us afterwards.

You also forget - or maybe don't know - that for Nationalists it was extremely dangerous getting to and from Windsor park. I used to go to the matches when George Best played and it was very frightening at times.

Looking forward very much to this game. Glasgow is fully booked with football fans for the game. It's going to be a lot of irish at this game. The flip side is that the return game will be the same. The only fans that fill Lansdowne road these days are the rugby fans. Very rarely would you see a sell out for a qualifier for the football team. Unless of course ireland do well and the stadium becomes infected with bandwangers.

Bandwangers is my new favourite word!!

Was the first time, and maybe last time any sectarian singing was aimed at us. I think it left a deep wound.

We played NI round about then. I was unfortunately having my lunch in an Ayr pub when a bus load of them turned up en route to Hampden. Never heard so much bile in my life (and I used to go to Ibrox). Every sentence seemed to end in FTP!

It shouldn't have been a shock though. It wasn't to me but it was to the 2 guys in the back of my car going up and to many of my colleagues at the time. Many expected NI to lie down and let us win easily. Many Danes still believe they gifted us the equaliser to let us through.

Good article here on the Sinn Fein child abuse and cover up story from our parliament yesterday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/this-was-not-leaders-questions-as-we-know-it-it-was-an-unprecedented-situation-in-the-d%C3%A1il-1.1973438

We played NI round about then. I was unfortunately having my lunch in an Ayr pub when a bus load of them turned up en route to Hampden. Never heard so much bile in my life (and I used to go to Ibrox). Every sentence seemed to end in FTP!

In fairness it is totally different now at Windsor Park for NI games. Great atmosphere although probably best if we don't meet in a competitive game there for a while.

Glasgow is fully booked most Scotland games, regardless of the away support.

I will definitely shoe-horn that into a conversation this week.