Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead - Page 14 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead

andyg83

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weekevie

Alan Maybury ex Hearts full back was/is a big Rangers fan. There is also a Rangers supporters club there. I can't imagine it will be too common but seems there is a few. p.s I've only read the last few posts of this thread so apologies if I'm away on a tangent here.

IAP - as I said further up the thread, as long as they are there to support their team and have a good night it doersn't bother me at all. I would only have had an issue if they were doing proper Scotland fans out of a seat but I reckon every Scotland fan that goes regularly to games, has been sorted out with a ticket so it's no real drama.

The FAI cant be more incompetent than the SFA

if they're not then the SFA must be the pits.

Three and a half weeks to the game and we've yet to hear who's been allocated an away ticket (10,000 applications by the middle of August). This despite the FAI telling us not to book anything until the tickets have been allocated (obviously only dimwits would follow this advice). It's an absolute joke!

I've had to buy a ticket in the home end as a result...if I end up with an FAI ticket then I'll be damned if I'm selling the home end ticket to a "bandwagon" Irish fan.

There's a lot to be said about the away scheme Scotland has for its supporters.

Alan Maybury ex Hearts full back was/is a big Rangers fan. There is also a Rangers supporters club there. I can't imagine it will be too common but seems there is a few. p.s I've only read the last few posts of this thread so apologies if I'm away on a tangent here.

I always thought Alan Maybury claimed he was a Rangers fan purely to wind up Celtic fans ? :-)) :-))

Apologies for the bump.

Sent my Irish pal an e-mail, and he replied

"Kerr im sure is defo a Rangers man. Another one is Richie Saddlier i'm sure others too but dont remember just now. Dont know if they are true fans or do it to wind up the celtic fans in ireland but both have talked in the press here about it"

Yeah both are true along with Alan Maybury.

Contrary to popular belief very few people in the Republic of Ireland support Celtic. We'd all watch them on Wednesday night if they played Barcelona but that's about the extent of. We all feel indifferent towards them with a lot slightly embarrased by how our national flag has been hijacked by their fans to deliver a particular political stance.

The Irish who'll be travelling to Glasgow will have very little in common with the Celtic fans in Glasgow.

Edited by TheBoysinGreen

Contrary to popular belief very few people in the Republic of Ireland support Celtic. We'd all watch them on Wednesday night if they played Barcelona but that's about the extent of. We all feel indifferent towards them with a lot slightly embarrased by how our national flag has been hijacked by their fans to deliver a particular political stance.

The Irish who'll be travelling to Glasgow will have very little in common with the Celtic fans in Glasgow.

That is quite interesting. We get the impression over here from Celtic fans that Celtic are huge in Ireland.

spoken like a true Jackeen I think - maybe freestaters are embarrassed but I can assure you that most from the 9 counties of Ulster and country areas of the south have Celtic at least as their second team and are proud to see our flag flying high at Celtic park.

In the Republic outside of Donegal Celtic would not be well supported. Man Utd and Liverpool in particular and English football in general would be far more popular than our domestic football or Celtic. There would also be a mild dislike due to our flag being associated with sectarianism and hooliganism.

Celtic would be very well supported in Northern Ireland.

Alan Maybury used to cycle around Dublin as kid in his Rangers top. Brian Kerr and Richie Sadlier also mentioned being Rangers fans in the past. Kerr's family going back have been. If you want to wind people up in the Republic just mention Man Utd/Liverpool not Rangers/Celtic.

That is quite interesting. We get the impression over here from Celtic fans that Celtic are huge in Ireland.

It's true that a small minority support Celtic although many bizarrely have them as a second or first team along with the likes Manchester United Liverpool etc...

However a significant number which are a majority on some of the smaller trips are supporters of League of Ireland clubs. They have particular disdain for Celtic supporters and EPL supporters alike...the so-called "barstoolers".

Make no mistake though the bandwagon fan will come in their droves to Glasgow.

Always thought it was more from the north that the bulk of Celtic fans were from, the Republic part of Ulster and Northern Ireland itself...

You are right in a way but there are lots from the West of Ireland and around Cork. Pocket of loyal fans throughout Ireland although the numbers were at a height in the 1960's

Although the the same island the people from Northern Ireland have a totally different outlook of what "Irishness" is than those from the Republic. People in the north seem to play up the whole Celtic-Irish connection for some reason. As i've previously said the vast vast majority of football people in the Republic have little or no interest in Celtic as a team and we'd associate them with nationalist fanatics in Northern Ireland. Something which we cringe about.

You are right in a way but there are lots from the West of Ireland and around Cork. Pocket of loyal fans throughout Ireland although the numbers were at a height in the 1960's

I worked in Limerick for a bit and you did see the odd Celtic fan most folk were primarily into rugby or English football.

Yeah the Celtic support from Ireland seems to come from Northern Ireland. Out every single person I know big into football not one has any interest in Glasgow Celtic.

Out of interest do you know if Northern Irish Celtic fans in the main support the Republic or do they not bother with international games?

Although the the same island the people from Northern Ireland have a totally different outlook of what "Irishness" is than those from the Republic. People in the north seem to play up the whole Celtic-Irish connection for some reason. As i've previously said the vast vast majority of football people in the Republic have little or no interest in Celtic as a team and we'd associate them with nationalist fanatics in Northern Ireland. Something which we cringe about.

a real freestater - I am alright jack!!! Cringe away :wave:

I worked in Limerick for a bit and you did see the odd Celtic fan most folk were primarily into rugby or English football.

Out of interest do you know if Northern Irish Celtic fans in the main support the Republic or do they not bother with international games?

A bit of a generalisation but it's safe to say that almost no Celtic supporters in Northern Ireland would support the 6 counties team. They'd generally give the Republic their support.